Problem Nephew living with me.

rayray

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
First off i am on disability due to various health problems..I had my 42 YO Nephew move in with me on August 15th 2011. He had a good business selling military memorabilia on the internet that started to tank due to the economy.He has been divorced for 2 years from a 16 year marriage. I knew he had a problem with the bottle in the past..I own a mobile home and my lot rent is only 300 dollars.My expenses are not huge just for me.I took him in because he could no other place to go.He is my oldest brothers son who is no longer with us.To the point,he has not worked since he moved in, he drinks in his bedroom and is a habitual liar.I knew i couldnt get him out by the police because he receives mail here.In one our view arguments i mentioned i'd call the police to get him out and he said i couldnt, i knew that i just wanted to see if he'd use that answer,which he did..Does anyone have any suggestions ?

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
is he on your lease?

receiving mail at your address doesn't give him any legal protections. the easiest way with minimal drama for you is just asking your property manger to issues a 72 to quit the property.

since he's a guest you should be able to ask him leave at any time, talk to ya local authorities to find out about the laws in your county. then call his bluff *kicks nephew in the shin*

good luck. and good riddance all asap-y.

Justin

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If Florida laws are similar to California's your nephew has established residency after living there for 10 days. Getting mail at the address is one way to prove his residency. Even though he is not on the lease he is a resident and can not be removed without formal eviction or court order (restraining order). If there is a written agreement that he is to pay you a specified amount each month as rent and he isn't paying you can give him a 3 day pay or quit notice.

I would contact a local legal assistance program for more information. Landlord tenant issues are complex, time consuming, and a pain. Not to mention all the loopholes that are in place to protect the tenant (your nephew). The state doesn't want people to be homeless so they make it tough to remove someone from a home.

Good luck. I have seen this hundreds of times over the years being a cop. Its an ugly process.

Thirdlegproduction

Formerly WhiteMonst3r
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You don't want to go this route, but I'd put a lock on everything except his room.
No tv, no food, no using any of your things.

And do everything to annoy him play loud music, make fun of him, change the temperature.
Family or not, he crossed the line by forcing himself upon you and he will drain you untill you are unable to support yourself.

rayray

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Shoot him?
I appreciate all of your suggestions so far..In the state of Florida, as long as he gets mail here he is a legal resident. Other wise there is an eviction process that cost around 300 dollars i dont have and it is also time consuming.I have received about 550 dollars from his step dad in almost the 6 months he's been here..My older brother who doesnt mince words called his step dad and told him in any uncertain terms that he needed to go..Step dad then called me and said he would be here on the 24th (today) to pack him up and take him but he has note called me yet.He is from Norfolk and told me 2 weeks ago that he would be down here to take some work related classes and said he would be here.This kid is going about his everyday routine as if he going nowhere.The Nephew did ask if he called today so i know he is thinking about it.Since he has been here i tried to talk with him about the situation and he just turns around and goes to his room.He is family,thats why i originally took him in..Before he moved in he totally misrepresented exactly who he really was and his problems. I am not comfortable in my own home.He's a smart ass, just today he went to the church for food and as he put it away he said, oh here is the can of corn i borrowed like i dont feed him. I have lost weight, break out in hives and has made me a wreck inside.

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
First off i am on disability due to various health problems..I had my 42 YO Nephew move in with me on August 15th 2011. He had a good business selling military memorabilia on the internet that started to tank due to the economy.He has been divorced for 2 years from a 16 year marriage. I knew he had a problem with the bottle in the past..I own a mobile home and my lot rent is only 300 dollars.My expenses are not huge just for me.I took him in because he could no other place to go.He is my oldest brothers son who is no longer with us.To the point,he has not worked since he moved in, he drinks in his bedroom and is a habitual liar.I knew i couldnt get him out by the police because he receives mail here.In one our view arguments i mentioned i'd call the police to get him out and he said i couldnt, i knew that i just wanted to see if he'd use that answer,which he did..Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Get a eviction notice.. send it by certified mail.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sorry rayray, absolutely nothing i can add .. but did want to acknowledge am hearing your plight
Unenviable situation indeed.. hope things improve from today, if the step dad keeps to his word
geesus i thought initially it was an immature teen you were talking about..
42.geesus ...s.. the fella alright?

hope to hear from you that he has GONE

HungThickProf

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Since he's legally a resident, you could always give him a notarized eviction notice, giving him 30 days to evacuate the premises. If he chooses not to acknowledge that, then you can call the cops and make them aware of the situation, in which in that case the eviction notice would be enforced. You could give him a copy, and even have an officer or a witness sign it if need be.

Redwyvre

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'd say you're dealing with a mean drunk. Yes, to legally evict him will cost money and several months of time. Doesn't matter what state you living in. This "kid" knows what he is doing. Start documenting everything if you haven't already. Let everyone involved know where you stand and what you intend to do. I hope the family can help you out at this point. You're not doing anyone a favor by letting him take advantage of you. Take care of yourself everything will work out eventually!

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Put all his stuff in garbage bags outside and change the lock on your door. If he hasn't signed a lease or rental contract with you, he is a guest. You can toss an unwanted guest out of your house anytime you please.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
notarized eviction notice is the way to go!
i am sorry for all your troubles, i hope it gets cleared up real soon!
*shoots death ray eyes at nephew*

kscird

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
this is interesting, but it can be done. since he has established legal residence he has squatters rights. but if you the owner of the house you can get him out by legal means. you can serve him a notice of eviction. if after he gets that notice he does not vacate your property the police have to help you full fill that eviction. land lords do this all the time. you just have to go through the proper channels. im sorry that your nephew has put you in this awkward position.