Procrastination...

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ever have that sinking feeling about a huge project that is due in two weeks and you are playing around here at LPSG? Well it’s happened to me and has caused great anxiety and some late nights playing catch up. This time I managed to bring upon a summertime cold because of all the stress it has produced.

QUESTION: Why do we put off things when we know full well the negative consequences?

I always thought procrastination is a product of the brain's way of delaying the pain of doing something you hate to do, like cleaning out the garage, tedious reports or research papers. Procrastination never strikes when planning vacations or projects I enjoy. Funny how that works, huh? It is always associated with things I dread but are required of me. I do have a perfectionism streak in me that doesn’t help nor does having such accessible distractions like the internet.

Do others have this problem? Any funny stories? Advice?

If you suffer from this affliction have you done anything that has helped break the cycle? Not doing the task is not an option - so don't even go there.

ManiacalMadMan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Uggggggggh. Has it ALL been done here already?

Post here, if you were a procrastinator who missed the original posting last year or if you are a newbie who was never here for the original post like me.
I did not know there was a place where this was discussed before and so I will post here
For myself procrastination is not something which happens because I do not ever let the word in my vocabulary. The results are mixed since I fail to get so many things done.

To avoid it when it is because of a computer I just do not put the computer on If it is from reading a book then I make sure I do not start reading if I have a deadline or appointment to keep.

Monster76

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Procrastination is the Mother of Invention...
i think.
I'm not sure now. Anyway, I got to go play Guitar Hero, talk about a time waster.
+ this sight is of no help...

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No it's Necessity is the mother of invention, procrastination is the thief of time.
We procrastinate because there are other things that are more fun to do, no one procrastinates when it comes to masturbating or doing anything that's remotely fun. We know that we're going to have to do it and mentally we calculate the very last second that we have to start a task and have a reasonable chance of having it done.
I was offered the chance to work at home, I didn't take it because I know I'd have gone 'Oh well it's Friday afternoon, 4.55 pm I suppose I'd better do some work.'

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Procrastination never strikes when planning vacations or projects I enjoy. Funny how that works, huh? It is always associated with things I dread but are required of me. I do have a perfectionism streak in me that doesn’t help nor does having such accessible distractions like the internet.

Do others have this problem? Any funny stories? Advice?

Procrastination. Its a unique and unsettling feeling that comes over me any time I have to plan and do certain things. I don't like that hopeless, anxious feeling.

Like many, but I've suffered from the procrastination tendency when faced with unpleasant tasks. But, strangely enough, I've also suffered from it even when preparing for enjoyable events like vacations or days off. There've been a number of times when I've waited until the very last moment to pack and finalize my preparations for vacations I should have been eagerly anticipating. Why?

I'm beginning to believe the procrastination instinct kicks in any time I'm forced to do some planning, regardless of the task or event. Fear of commitment? I don't know, but I recognize procrastination is there.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In my twisted head, sometimes I think my procrastination is a good thing. It maximizes my enjoyable time and minimizes the time of last minute panic hell. It's like swallowing all the bitter medicine at once in concentrated form. I have been able to contain that guilty worry feeling until the last minute when I really need it. And I have stopped rationalizing why I do it. That has helped a lot in terms of my mental health. I figure it's the universe's way of telling you to slow down, relax, enjoy doing what you like to do. And don't worry about the other stuff until it is absolutely necessary. The trouble is I think I'm getting too old to be pulling this work till you drop at 3am shit. It has become a health thing for me as I grow older.

Someone told me to break the chore into little baby steps so you can just pace yourself. I end up just doing the parts I liked. And procrastinating the rest. The other suggestion was to give yourself a "reward" after finishing a project. I end up giving me the reward regardless. Can't play those games with myself I found. Some say that since you are such a perfectionist the last minute work gives you reason to justify the shoddy outcome rather than it being a reflection of your true ability. Maybe.

Or, the simplest explanation - You're god damn LAZY!

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I sort of feel like that, for instance, if I decide to pack early for somewhere it can take hours, if I leave it till the last minute it takes me half an hour, ergo procrastination saved me time. I still got the same job done.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
When I have to pack for a trip, I always leave it until the last possible moment. Even packing up for a major motorcycle trip last year, I left it until a day before. In fact I continued to pack and re-pack for half the trip! That's th e result of procrastination.

Professionally I don't procrastinate too much anymore. At least for the major stuff, I try to do the hardest part first. Which for me is the workplan and scheduling. Like Speedoguy said, planning is the most difficult part. If I make a good plan, then the job is easy and becomes just daily problem solving. Which is the fun part of work. Being done early feels great and I HATE being late delivering work. I am late on job now because of the prime contractor's procrastination and it's costing $$!!

Maybe it's about satisfaction. Which I know I crave! The sooner a thing is done the sooner I get mummy's tit? Could be I guess.

I procrastinate empting the dishwasher, eating, calling certain people, getting a haircut, clearing off the coffee table, completely quitting cigerettes (5/day now), etc etc.