Product for Men

OKFarmer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So, I'm not a pretty man. Rough or rugged might be a closer description. At my old job I heard advertisements for MENS ZONE. For those not familiar, its Walgreens answer to male cosmetics. Exfolliants, conditioners, makeup type stuff.

I have no problem with the idea of moisturizers, because working with my horses, I do see too much sun some days and get wind-blasted or dirt kicked in my face. I have no problem with men who choose to use makeup. If you are comfortable wearing it go ahead. The whole black lipstick on a guy makes me think he is a slob who gnoshes on black licorice. Personally I say leave it to the petite goth chicks.

The issue I have is with this whole move to make men feel they NEED product. The other part of that is women's magazines telling them that men OWE them baby-ass smooth skin. If you enjoy having perfect skin and your significant other likes it great. But please let the ugly mugs of the world like myself be. The best response to these I've seen is a woman writing in to a woman's magazine "What ever happened to men being men and not women with penises?"

The way I figure it though, product for men can only be a good thing for me long term. Some day when every man is pretty like Brad, Leonardo, or whoever, a rugged appearing man like myself will be desirable by women who want to go against the norm :biggrin1:

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media
The issue I have is with this whole move to make men feel they NEED product.

Unfortunately, the advertising industry is largely based on this very concept - "you need this to be sexy/smart/faster/better/more attractive/healthier/bigger/more buff/hairier or not in the "right" places".

I got wise to demographic targeting long ago when I started male pattern baldness. I honestly feel I would be less confident and attractive if I was self-absorbed with the hassle of remedies/covering up with plugs or a rug. I'd rather direct my money/attention elsewhere.

Hafta admit that if the cosmetics industry could make men cave, they'd be rich!

thedude111

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
In France the sex that buys the most Cosmetics..... Is MEN! I was surprised to read it. Course i was surprised to learn the bathe about 1.6 times a week also. Glad they invented Purfume at least!

socoken

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Dude, I hope thats in reference to The Big Lebowski, I love that movie. Anyway, as men, we DONT have to wear make-up and other foo-foo crap, and we arent expected to. Thats a good thing, we got the long end of the stick on that one, and I for one, hope it stays that way forever.

OKFarmer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dannyhorse,
When I started paying $11 to get a haircut every month and realized that there was less on the floor than when I didn't shave for a week, I gave up on my hair. I've been buzzing/shaving my head since and honestly, I look better shaven. The wife seems to like it better also.