Professor/coach Showering At School

S_Dick

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Saw one of my students in the shower. Not sure if I should keep showering at my institution. Any other teachers or coaches have advice on this?

Hi, I am a young college professor teaching at a very small liberal arts college. I’ve only been teaching for a year now, so it’s all a little new to me. The school I teach at has a decent gym that I can use for free. I’ve been working out there in the mornings before I teach. This morning I was showering after my swim in their gang showers, and one of my students from last semester came into to shower.

We said hi and made polite conversation. Ask him how his break was, etc. He and I got along well in class and it was actually good to see him. It was just he and I in there. He saw I am pretty hung soft and took several glances, which Is ok, I’m used to it, and he is a good guy. Eventually it was clear he was kind of fluffing himself up, I hope he didn’t think my size was me hard. (I have no interest in any of this and want to keep my job). He sort of got hard and I totally ignored it. I know it’s happened to me, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But then I looked over, and he was kind of stroking himself. I said bye, rinsed off and went to change, and go teach.

Now I am trying to decide if I should even go to this gym at all. Or is it for the students and I am just inviting chaos be going there. Now this young guy knows I’m hung, or worse, think I was hard. Money is tight, and I was actually looking forward to getting rid of my other gym membership. How do other professors/coaches deal with this? Having your students see you in the buff. Should I just stop going to this free gym?

(I’ve never posted a new thread before, sorry if something like this already exists)

As a first call, I would check with your Human Resources Office to learn if you are free to use the facility or if it is reserved for only students. If there are no limitations, you should feel free to use the facility (if both you and your students are legal adults).

Saint Raphael

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I was an admin at a university for nearly 4 years and used the school gym, which had communal showers until August 2018. Interestingly, they built stalls following an uptick in professor complaints about having to shower with their students.

Although I wasn't a teacher/coach, I did have a fair amount of student interaction but never really had any encounters with my admin assistants/students I knew well in the shower. I definitely had my fair share of stares and a couple guys also fluffed themselves, two of which I recall went all the way erect. Like you, I'd just turn my back, finish, and leave. A few students (male and female) would casually tell me that they "heard" I was toned and fit lol.

There were, however, plenty of teachers who did shower among students and it didn't outwardly appear to be an issue. It seemed like the students were always the ones to initiate conversation which mostly consisted of simple greetings. On a few occasions, I heard students comment about a professor who was nude in the sauna after he left. Never anything negative, just "That guy was my (subject) professor." I don't recall any student-teacher/coach interactions in the sauna.

Your situation is a bit unique in that you're a young professor (most of the guys I'm referring to are older). I'd say keep using it to the degree that you're comfortable. And it goes without saying not to pay the students any attention besides any few curious glimpses you may have. The in-the-moment excitement probably won't be anything you remember the following day, and as a result, isn't worth any potential rumors or accusations. I had two bisexual male students openly admit to me that "playing" with a professor or "someone in a position of authority at the university" was a fantasy of theirs due to the power dynamic. Who knows, the you're talking about might have been trying to lay that exact trap...

ohiorod

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I taught for 1.5 yrs at a public university while working on my PhD and frequently used the gym and showers. I had a few experiences of seeing students or past students.. I never had someone come on to me, but I had several conversations and clearly the guys saw that I was well hung. But in truth, they knew that before the showers since I show a decent bulge. I suggest that you continue to use the facilities and just use caution if someone appears to cruise you. I never lingered in the student showers, but I also never altered my workouts or showers. If someone had cruised me, they would get the message that I was not playing that game.

TheMeatyProfessor

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
We said hi and made polite conversation. Ask him how his break was, etc. He and I got along well in class and it was actually good to see him. It was just he and I in there. He saw I am pretty hung soft and took several glances, which Is ok, I’m used to it, and he is a good guy. Eventually it was clear he was kind of fluffing himself up, I hope he didn’t think my size was me hard. (I have no interest in any of this and want to keep my job). He sort of got hard and I totally ignored it. I know it’s happened to me, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But then I looked over, and he was kind of stroking himself. I said bye, rinsed off and went to change, and go teach.

Now I am trying to decide if I should even go to this gym at all. Or is it for the students and I am just inviting chaos be going there. Now this young guy knows I’m hung, or worse, think I was hard. Money is tight, and I was actually looking forward to getting rid of my other gym membership. How do other professors/coaches deal with this? Having your students see you in the buff. Should I just stop going to this free gym?

Man, if this was just a happenstance thing at a Planet Fitness branch out there off campus, no big deal. If it's your gym on campus, why even risk it? It's inconvenient, but you can find another place to work out without HR calling you in on suspicions of lewd advances toward a student.

Signed, big dick prof with the same gym situation at the same small liberal arts kinda College who keeps Bowflex dbs at home.

bigun8

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I’m a baseball coach and there are plenty of times when I shower with my players. When I played in college, the coaches usually showered with the players, it just depended on the type of facility. Some places had separate showers/changing areas for coaches, but most do not for baseball.

Sometimes even for football, there may be another changing area for coaches but it was usually small so some of the coaches would go shower in the player area just to speed things up and not have to wait.

I don’t usually shower with random students, but I wouldn’t be opposed to it I guess. Where I coach, I work our in the school fitness center and weightlifting area and shower there and only the student-athletes use that area so only the players I coach shower with me there.

It was the same way with the coaches when I played in college.

S_Dick

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I’m a baseball coach and there are plenty of times when I shower with my players. When I played in college, the coaches usually showered with the players, it just depended on the type of facility. Some places had separate showers/changing areas for coaches, but most do not for baseball.

Sometimes even for football, there may be another changing area for coaches but it was usually small so some of the coaches would go shower in the player area just to speed things up and not have to wait.

I don’t usually shower with random students, but I wouldn’t be opposed to it I guess. Where I coach, I work our in the school fitness center and weightlifting area and shower there and only the student-athletes use that area so only the players I coach shower with me there.

It was the same way with the coaches when I played in college.

Same @bigun8 when I played sports in college the coaches would some times shower with us, especially for away games. And that was only a few years ago. It was no big deal then. I think the real difference here is that I don’t know these students in a sports capacity, where male nudity is normalized, so for them they are just seeing their professor nude.

Generally I am of a mind that we are all men and I really don’t care who sees my body in an appropriate work out setting. But this seems different, as much as i don’t want to I feel like I might go back to the non school gym.

To answer someone else’s question, yes, professors are totally allowed to use the gym as part of our employment benefits. Thank you all for your insightful answers, I really appreciate it.

so for them they are just seeing their professor nude.

I am not sure what subject you teach, but here is your chance to evolve the culture.

Note: The word 'gymnasium' means a place to exercise naked.

If I had a GYM, something like this bit of information would post near the front door and perhaps be given out with a gym membership. It would also be posted in areas of the facility where same sex nudity was appropriate

The 3,000-year history of working out

I would also make sure that GYM users didn’t miss this aspect of past athletic culture

Gymnopaedia - Wikipedia

The Gymnopaedia, in ancient Sparta, was a yearly celebration during which naked youths displayed their athletic and martial skills through the medium of war dancing. The custom was introduced in 668 BC,[1] concurrently with the introduction of naked athletics.[2]

Point being, if students using the GYM are only seeing their professor nude, then they lack knowledge about what a GYM is.

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
At my university we had a rec center and communal locker rooms with showers (one for men, one for women). It was understood that the showers could be utilized by students and staff. There were professors that would workout and shower when they had a break or when they were due to leave so it wasn't out of the ordinary to run into one of your professors at the rec center. There were a list of rules posted at the entrance concerning the upkeep of the area. One of the biggest no nos was leaving your personals in lockers and locks being left on lockers for more than a day. The cleaning staff was good about keeping the locker room and the showers clean. I was heading into the showers as one of my professors was coming out on one occasion. It wasn't awkward at all and he reminded me that there were several assignments due the next time we were to meet.

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I think using the shower is okay. I think if you plan to continue using it, that you adopt an "eyes up here, bro" policy. Your description of the events in the original post was a just a little creepy....insofar as saying you aren't into any of that yet pretty much described the state of that guy's penis through the entire event. If you're looking at him, he can see that. If he is bi or gay, he may have taken it as a form of come-on.

Just don't look, and you won't have any uncomfortable HR meetings in your future. Even though you are given the use of the facilities, staff are expected to be far more conservative. And I'm sure you have seen examples of people manipulating situations to trap someone or cause legal trouble. Avoid it by being bulletproof.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
The school I teach at has a decent gym that I can use for free...one of my students from last semester came into to shower.

We said hi and made polite conversation. Ask him how his break was, etc... He saw I am pretty hung soft and took several glances, which Is ok, I’m used to it, and he is a good guy. Eventually it was clear he was kind of fluffing himself up, I hope he didn’t think my size was me hard...He sort of got hard and I totally ignored it... But then I looked over, and he was kind of stroking himself. I said bye, rinsed off and went to change, and go teach.

Now I am trying to decide if I should even go to this gym at all. Or is it for the students and I am just inviting chaos be going there. Now this young guy knows I’m hung, or worse, think I was hard...

The student was possibly self conscious but you were able to put him at ease S_Dick. By all means do continue to use the gym. If I saw you erect I too would ignore it - as you did. Erections are just a healthy part of a male's physiology and are more common in youth. As long as he looks and doesn't touch you, and vice versa, there is no need for concern.

HorseHung40's

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I am a college professor. I work out in the facilities of the institution, where I teach - and - use the showers.

I shower; I leave.

If any student were to complain, I would file a counter-complaint. If my endowment makes any other man feel inadequate, that is his cross to bear, not mine. Deal with it.

mtguy1972

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As long as you do nothing untoward or could be interpreted as such, you should be fine. Is it reasonable to work out and shower at a gym? Yes. I would now avoid this student in the shower area perhaps, but I would not avoid the gym or showering. Also, I think we need a pic of you soft so we can render a valid opinion. ;)

Meat09

Worshipped Member
Media
Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I am a college professor. I work out in the facilities of the institution, where I teach - and - use the showers.

I shower; I leave.

If any student were to complain, I would file a counter-complaint. If my endowment makes any other man feel inadequate, that is his cross to bear, not mine. Deal with it.
I coach and I always use a communal shower at the facilities after a workout. The athletes are in there with me showering. We all worked out. We all need showers.

Meat09

Worshipped Member
Media
Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Saw one of my students in the shower. Not sure if I should keep showering at my institution. Any other teachers or coaches have advice on this?

Hi, I am a young college professor teaching at a very small liberal arts college. I’ve only been teaching for a year now, so it’s all a little new to me. The school I teach at has a decent gym that I can use for free. I’ve been working out there in the mornings before I teach. This morning I was showering after my swim in their gang showers, and one of my students from last semester came into to shower.

(I’ve never posted a new thread before, sorry if something like this already exists)
I wouldn’t think that much about it. College dudes bone up all the time for all kinds of reasons. It doesn’t necessarily mean anything. And if it did that’s OK too. You know you’re hung and I’m sure you’ve had people stare at your junk before. I know I’m hung and I’m used to people staring at my big cock. I think it’s normal. Dudes naturally compare themselves. I coach and I use the communal showers after our workouts with the athletes. It’s not a big deal. We’re all man and we’ve all got the same parts just different sizes.