Professor Taboo

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by uncutcock22, Nov 12, 2008.

1. uncutcock22

uncutcock22 New Member

Albums:
    Hey guys, just wanted an opinion on how to handle this situation:

Recently in my lab at university I've been noticing that my prof seems to pay extra close attention to me. He's pretty young (around his late twenties) and one hell of a good looking guy. We e-mail each other a lot and sometimes the conversations almost seem to be sexual but with tongue-in-cheek. I wouldn't mind having a sexual relationship with him for fun but I know there are certain in-University laws that prohibit this.

What do you guys think?

2. B_bi_mmf

B_bi_mmf New Member

It is unethical for your professor to enter into such a relationship while you are his student. Do him and yourself a favor and do not let it become sexual.

If you still have interest after you graduate, contact him then.

3. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    this. a thousand times, this!

also, i dunno about your school brah, but mine monitors all emails between student and professor. they come with warnings about it, too. here's the disclosure notice from one of my emails to my math profressor:

so, be very careful. because i can guarantee that, should he go under the microscope, he'll put all of it on you, and you will more than likely be kicked out of school. and all for what? what you dub "tongue-and-cheek?"

4. cyberczar

cyberczar New Member

Not only is that unethical, but the professor could lose his teaching license as that goes against just about any code of ethics and professional standards board.

It's not illegal since the OP is an adult.

Of course, the prof. is really setting himself up for getting royally fucked though (and not in a good way).

5. uncutcock22

uncutcock22 New Member

Albums:
    ya I'm thinking of keeping the e-mails very straight forward because I thought of that the other day, and normally all of our conversations involve the topic at hand (math). I was thinking maybe not pursuing this until after next semester? Next semester he won't be my prof anymore...It's a confusing situation I guess..

6. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    to be safe, i'd wait until you've graduated or something. i honestly don't know how long you need to wait before it's no longer considered unethical

7. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    I say be careful. If you want to be friends as adults...that's cool but don't be a student of his. It is natural that you can hit it off with someone but so many people thrive on bringing others down that you want both of you to be secure in the situation.

8. Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann New Member

Albums:
    While I am not a professor, I do lecture at a university, so I can chime in to say this: don't try to initiate a relationship with this guy. If not for your sake, then for his. I honestly don't understand the mentality of professors who risk their jobs with this kind of stuff.

9. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    there's prolly a number of things. they prolly get off to the fact knowing they shouldn't be doing this. plus, the students become infatuated, yah? in that infatuation, they'll do anything for their object of infatuation. these professors also get off to the abuse of their power. it's sad, and it's disgusting. but it's a two way street, yah? these ignorant (and, imo, pathetic) students get caught up in a predator's net.

10. YourAvgGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    There are university codes of ethics for faculty members regarding relationships with students (both students who take their courses as well as those who do not). The codes are very straight-forward and leave no room for error.

I would strongly encourage you to dismiss the behavior and not entertain it. If you feel you need to discuss things with him, then do so during his office hours. Document everything that you say. I am not a huge fan of communicating things like this via email as they become permanent and as one poster here suggested, to public domain, specifically if your university is a public one.

Move on... if after graduation you two are still interested in pursuing things, then and only then carry through. HOWEVER, make sure you have that diploma in hand and everything is signed off on and approved....

11. Principessa

Gold Member

QFT!

12. YourAvgGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Ok... I am slow I know... but, what is QFT?

13. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

QUOTED for TRUTH

:biggrin1:

14. chip59

chip59 Member

The devil on my shoulder says "do him! then ask for an A"
    The part of me that does not think with my penis says it's a really, really bad idea.
    Since the dilemma is on your mind enough to post the question, I think you already know the answer. Keep the relationship above board.

Draft saved Draft deleted