Profiles

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
(My apologies for the limited options, but I'm trying to figure out why we have so many members here who prefer to leave their profiles empty. Quite honestly, I like the kinship among my well hung brethren and the "fans," spoken loosely, thereof. I'd like to know more of you beyond the board, but having not a shred of knowledge about said person makes it difficult to strike up a chat. Don't you think?)

biggbenn8: Well, in the 'last' incarnation of this board (why it keeps 'reinventing' itself I don't know), I listed a profile (nothing extensive) and to be honest- I got tired of the 'come-ons'... I was not, and am not, looking for anonymous online playmates, nor do I wish to answer odd questions (feel free to take it to the forums- and lets discuss!).

my .02

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I can't see how listing one's gender, age and location elicits 'come-ons'! When I receive flirtatious private messages, it's a result of what I've posted, not because I have a profile stating 24/m/New Orleans.

Finedessert: I agree with the above, If nothing else it would be nice to know what part of this world someone lives in and I don't mean just something like "USA,Europe, etc" on the old board I had the City where I lived, I think I'll change my profile on this board, I have nothing to hide, my pants does that quite nicely. As for being hit on by another poster either on the board or PM, I would take it as a complement.

Grandpa

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I'm more careful in the current profile than I was on the former board, where I received several virus laiden messages. Therefore I no longer post my e-mail address.

It is nice, when I've been impressed by a post, to check out the author's profile and actually find something to read besides "username" - I already know that LOL.

The most encouraging thing I can say to those who have limited or blank profiles is that this incarnation of the board requires membership even to lurk.

You should be safe letting us know a little about yourselves.

Pecker

Finedessert: Some of you guys get me ROTFLMAO and at my age that can be dangerous, I have enought problems. ::)

Grandpa

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
A woman I know got one of those penis-enlargement scams. She said "That must be REALLY effective." Another woman I know, a lesbian, said "But I'm allergic to penis." LOL

I recently got one for foreskin restoration. (Only one Indian I've met was circumcsied, and he was Jewish [mother's side], so he has a d4mn good excuse. LOL)

chipster: Dee, Thanks for reminding me to get my profile up-to-date. I hope your message will be heeded.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
To those of you worried about releasing your e-mail address and other personal information on the LPSG boards, well, there's little I can do personally to knock down the volume of spam you receive. That's between you and your e-mail service or your Internet Service Provider.

But I thought I'd spread the word about an incredibly bothersome pop-up spyware module called [link=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Browserwise+spyware]Browserwise[/link]. Click the link for more information and to find ways to innoculate your computer if you've been infected with this bug.

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A great tool for removing Browserwise and other nasty spywear is Spybot Search and Destroy.  You can learn more and download it from http://beam.to/spybotsd.  This removes not only spy programs, but also cookies used to track your browsing.   Many users don't realize that seemingly innocent things they allow to be downloaded, like a fancy cursor, a little window that tells you the weather, or something that keeps you clock automatically set may also be watching what you are doing, depending on who provided it.  

If you do download Spybot, be sure to immediately check for updates using the internal update feature of the program, as the downloaded version may not be quite up to date. Also, be sure you understand what you are doing if you delete cookies, as some things you want, like your LPSG login, use cookies. However, Spybot has a recovery feature that lets you selectively remove any changes it made.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
I have a spam guard. If it uses more than two exclamation points or ALL CAPS, it's immediately kicked off.

When I put my email addy in an anchor, I always put SPAM somewhere in it with instructions to remove SPAM. (And since most spam machines don't check anything but the anchor, they don't catch it.)

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Another spam remedy includes, whenever you list your e-mail address on a forum or on a web site, the words REMOVE ME or something to that effect in your addy. For example, my e-mail address would hypothetically be deeblackthorne@REMOVEME.hotmail.com. "Spiders," or programs that seek and capture lists of e-mail addresses, can't retrieve the information with the REMOVEME string, but human users would (hopefully) catch it.

Slingshot: Hey, dat's clever Dee! I'll be using that trick from now on I think. It has the added advantage of screening out those people who are themselves no smarter than computers.

The only SPAM I ever get, on a hotmail account that's been active for over 5 years, is from those damned "get a university diploma" people. I hate them! I hate them! I'm not American! And I already have a degree! :mad:

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
"What do you mean eww. I don't like spam!"
-Monty Python spam sketch

Seriously, mail-order degrees? At least you're not getting the ones I get; judging by the spam I get, there are trillions of dollars hidden in Nigeria.

ORCABOMBER: Bilbo, I live by a kazillion other names... nyah ha ha!