Project Runway anyone?

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
re: ricky...

gotta ask- what was with the wierd mesh cabbie hat thing??

trying to hide a bald spot or some wierd fashionish trend?

Christian: Reminds me a lot of Austin only with an unfortunate excess of personality. He's got amazing talent and the same sort of flair for the dramatic that actually works as ready-to-wear creations.

Chris: He's a true wildcard. He's the sweetest guy and sleeping in the breakroom didn't matter at all. He really was finished and it was great. I'm not sure if he's consistent. It's difficult to tell what's going on in his head. Though it may not look like it, his sewing skills are better than Christian's though his ready-to-wear looks are less consistent.

Both these guys have the greatest promise but also the most to lose. They're couture freaks. The problem is there isn't much true couture around these days. Only eight fashion houses are true couturiers. It's a very narrow, very tiny market, and even then, what's shown on the runway is most unlikely to be on a socialite's back.

Chris needs a knock-out collection full of innovative looks that match his stunning couture dresses which were, frankly, the two most beautiful dresses I've ever seen on the show.

Christian needs to shut the fuck up, listen, and learn. He's loaded with original talent but completely lacks the sort of sophistication needed for couture. A couturier has to have a very keen understanding of society, politics, and culture. Couturiers are visionaries and right now Christian's just designing pretty Christmas tree ornaments to fulfill his own ego. Striking and beautiful clothes? Yes. Cutting edge? Not yet.

Jillian and Rami: They're the safe bets. They design nice upscale clothes. Nothing too shocking, nothing too dull. They're excellent sewers. Drapery is difficult. Rami's draping has a market as does Jillian's slightly conservative but fashionable (if not chic) looks. Both of them will have, at the least, very solid design careers working for larger fashion houses.

Sweet Pea: Ready to be hired for the Jacqueline Smith Collection for Wal Mart. Everything she cranks out I just think, "Oh that's nice." She has the technical talent and deep knowledge of what sells commercially, but she's not an artist. Even when given a blank check and time, her mind doesn't seem to explore beyond the conventional. I feel bad for her because I keep thinking she's just a nicer Wendy Pepper, but she just doesn't have the je ne sais quois of a true artist.

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
"(Christian) completely lacks the sort of sophistication needed for couture. A couturier has to have a very keen understanding of society, politics, and culture. Couturiers are visionaries and right now Christian's just designing pretty Christmas tree ornaments to fulfill his own ego. Striking and beautiful clothes? Yes. Cutting edge? Not yet."

Wow, Jason...that was serious.

I like that you know so much about the couture fashion world. That's very impressive.

Hoo boy...

I knew Chris was the underdog going into this yet I held out hope he'd somehow trounce Rami. No such luck.

The pieces were dramatic and Gothic; like I expected them in an Addams Family movie, but beautiful. The jacket with the hair trimmed shawl collar was simply lovely and the hairpin skirt was magnificent. The quality of his work was remarkable. I'm a bit pissed that the judges, who keep asking for vision and innovation, recoiled in horror at the human hair trim. Chris used it beautifully and, as a substitute for fur, he managed it perfectly. The hair draped exceptionally well on the jacket, framing the model's face in a novel yet beautiful manner.

Tim wrote in his blog that he acknowledges the theatricality of many top name designers like Westwood, Johnson, and Mackie yet then does a turn around saying that Chris's pieces weren't all that wearable. That disappointed me because this show was all about looks, not saleability. The previous week they nailed Sweet Pea for not being daring yet in this show they nail Chris for being too daring and I think that's unfair given how creatively and exquisitely he worked the materials and textures.

Speaking of Sweet Pea, I thought her collection was the weakest of the four. It was inconsistent, uninspired, and in some cases, unflattering. I kept thinking I had seen these sort of looks before from takes on the von Furstenberg wrap to the Lacroix pouf. It was derivative and directionless; different for the sake of different.

Rami impressed me a great deal. His collection was vastly better than I thought it would be. I loved nearly everything in his collection. The optical print dress was fantastic; truly special and very wearable.

I was very surprised by the final contest. Chris's three dresses were very strong, very definitive, and each was flawless in execution. Rami did nearly as well but the one gown with the pronounced lower section made the model look fat in the tummy and thighs. I didn't think it made her look beautiful so much as deformed and that's never good. If I had to base my decision simply on these six looks, I'd have to give the win to Chris even though I think Rami's collection was ever so slightly stronger as a whole because it was more diverse.

I was more pleased with Jillian's collection than I thought I would be but I still don't think she's visionary. She does make nice, wearable clothes of a modern sensibility in a Jones of New York kind of way, but she doesn't have pizazz.

Christian's entire collection looked like Christian. His silhouette was his silhouette. It was a bit creepy. On the whole though, I wasn't wowed by his collection. It looked good but a bit unfinished in that the looks weren't refined enough. He made the amateur mistake of thinking an unlimited budget and free license made him free to make more and equate that with better.

sam1737

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
it's all about christian this season. i love both jillian and rami's (not to mention chris') designs as well, but christian has such an educated, modern, and creative take on fashion for someone so young. that kid is going places.

ljeffries

Just Browsing
Media
I am soooooooooo disappointed.........I thought Chirs's 3 looks were far stronger than Rami's..........plus he left the show with the grace he displayed all season long.........I cried along with him when he kissed heidi goodbye

I agree with you..however--Rami is just so hot! Well, except for those funky teeth.:rolleyes:

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, my complaint with Chris' pieces is that there were absolutely ZERO pieces that anyone would or could attempt to wear outside of a photoshoot...and for crap's sake DON'T TELL ANYONE THAT YOU USED HUMAN HAIR AS A TRIM.

The only place human hair on clothing is acceptable is in a hairshow in Atlanta, GA.

He could have lied about it and said it was goat hair or some sort of exotic trim, but human hair? That's just uncalled for.

As for Rami and everyone else's collections...they're uninspired. Goth. Edwardian menswear. Dark pallettes? This is all last season stuff. Galliano did Ronin inspired garb last season and as a whole, everyone's collections were predictable and without real direction. I'm wholly dissapointed.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
...and for crap's sake DON'T TELL ANYONE THAT YOU USED HUMAN HAIR AS A TRIM.

The only place human hair on clothing is acceptable is in a hairshow in Atlanta, GA.

He could have lied about it and said it was goat hair or some sort of exotic trim, but human hair? That's just uncalled for...
Actually, everyone kept saying, "the fake fur", and if he wouldn't have specified, or rather, made a point of making sure that everyone was aware that it was human hair, I think it would've been a non-issue.

Chris had to say what he used as fur is banned from the competition. The collar looked very much like monkey hair and, certainly, questions would have arisen about the material. I think it was a brilliant and innovative use of material. What is gross about it? People wear other people's hair on their scalp all the time. What makes using it as a piece of trim any more disgusting? I really think it added something to the collection, not present just for the sake of being shocking.

Well, my complaint with Chris' pieces is that there were absolutely ZERO pieces that anyone would or could attempt to wear outside of a photoshoot...and for crap's sake DON'T TELL ANYONE THAT YOU USED HUMAN HAIR AS A TRIM.

He could have lied about it and said it was goat hair or some sort of exotic trim, but human hair? That's just uncalled for.

As for Rami and everyone else's collections...they're uninspired. Goth. Edwardian menswear. Dark pallettes? This is all last season stuff. Galliano did Ronin inspired garb last season and as a whole, everyone's collections were predictable and without real direction. I'm wholly dissapointed.

Speaking of which, did you see Valentino's collection last spring? It was stunning. I couldn't take my eyes off his geisha-inspired dresses.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
there is a great blog (that says the things you wish you had thought of...)

Project Rungay - Project Runway from a VERY gay perspective.

I find the nickname "princess puffysleeves" and "sissybear" to be especially funny and fitting.

As to Rami- he showed a nice pic this week (the furr is nice) but holy crap- he is SO 'one note' as a designer....how about...draping??

ditto 'sissy bear' his laugh really lightens the show, but drag drag drag drama drag is getting old.

Sadly I think Princess Puffysleeves is the winner....

The woman who shows no emotion (name?) is just to scattered (and the high collar is nice but...)

Sweet Pea....was lucky she lasted that far...

go to youtube for a very funny spoof of the show

YouTube - MadTV - Project Runway
I'd do Chris March the costume designer. He just seems to have a certain charm and now that he has been axed, since his three presentations in a showdown with Rami failed-Human hair in every fucking outfit:eek:, it looked nice but scared and sickened the judges-and screamed 'hey look at me I'm a costume designer!') he now needs someone to pound his ass for few hours as a consolation prize, then flip him over and drain his straw.

Too bad he (Chris) never managed to get past the Costume designer phase.

(And if Cristian says 'Fierce' one more time, I'm going to hunt him down and give him a normal hairstyle)

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I'm disappointed. Rami really stepped it up for the last show. I thought Jillian's was cute too. I just felt like these two really could perform wonderful worksmanship that could actually SELL well. Christian is very talented, too, but I lost interest the minute I saw all the black outfits. Dramatics doesn't make a prosperous career. I'm just ill...

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
Though I identify as a gay man, I watch "runway" simply because to me it is learning about an industry of which I know little. I in fact have thought up a challenge for them and when I get the time I will contact the producers of the show to propose it. My business was related to the movie and television industry as a props supplier of emergency vehicles. I simply enjoy learning new things. I am definitely NOT in any way feminine......

In our family, we have a competitive title holding bodybuilder. You cannot believe what it is like to try to find clothing that does not look like total crap when you are dealing with 20+ inch biceps, a nearly 50 inch chest and thighs that size. He's in his 20's and there are times he needs to look decent and NOT advertise his size.

The idea would be formal and casual wear that allows this kind of body to look good and yet not highlight the differences for certain kinds of social situations.

I am going to suggest it to the producers of the show and see what happens.