Projected Iowa Caucus Winners

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Biden and Dodd are out. Both have ended their campaigns.

Democrats:

Obama
38%
100%
reporting

Edwards
30%

Clinton
29%

Richardson
2%

Biden
1%

Uncommitted
0%

Dodd
0%

Gravel
0%

Kucinich
0%

Republicans:

Huckabee
34%
86%
reporting

Romney
26%

Thompson
13%

McCain
13%

Paul
10%

Giuliani
4%

Hunter
0%

Look at the numbers and it is pretty easy to figure out why the Dems will not win the White House this year. The sheer number of republican voters v/s the number of democrat voters is very telling. This is too huge a disparty to be attributed to Iowa being a red state. Whoever the eventual republican nominee is will get the christian-fundie base out in droves whereas the Democratic nominee will have trouble in getting even the dems who did not support them in the primaries out to vote.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Obama represents hope for a fresh start and an end to the division that has polarized this country for the last 27 years.

That's why he'll get my vote.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Uh... I haven't heard anything about Edwards' pregnant mistress either.

Oh, gee, here it is... National Enquirer. :rolleyes:
UPDATE: <b>JOHN EDWARDS</b> LOVE CHILD SCANDAL! - Celebrity News | Gossip - National Enquirer

I think Obama definitely has a chance at this. I mean, c'mon... Iowa is definitely part of "America's Heartland", and though there may still be people in this country who feel that blacks don't belong in the White House, those people are few and far between.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Look at the numbers and it is pretty easy to figure out why the Dems will not win the White House this year. The sheer number of republican voters v/s the number of democrat voters is very telling. This is too huge a disparty to be attributed to Iowa being a red state. Whoever the eventual republican nominee is will get the christian-fundie base out in droves whereas the Democratic nominee will have trouble in getting even the dems who did not support them in the primaries out to vote.

I'm unclear where Jason got his numbers, but I can assure you that hundreds of thousands of voters turned out in Iowa yesterday.

Link to the BBC:

Turnout in Thursday's caucuses rose markedly, particularly for the Democrats, with more than 220,000 Democrats taking part - up from 124,000 in 2004.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am shocked that Edwards finished second; I did not expect him to place in the top three regardless of what the polls say. Edwards in the begining tried to base his campign on sympathy because of a dying wife [blah blah blah]

What a ridiculously uninformed hit piece.
  1. To suggest that John Edwards's campaign began with his March 2007 news conference on his wife's health is just plain wrong. Edwards entered the race three months earlier.
  2. Even prior to his formal declaration in 2006, he was building up his credentials as the head of the UNC Center on Poverty, hardly the type of work that a candidate looking for sympathy votes would undertake.
  3. Elizabeth Edwards is living with cancer, not a "dying wife". Bone cancer is incurable, but not a death sentence -- like thyroid cancer, there are long-term management practices available. (Also, Edwards's prognosis was upgraded in April shortly after the initial announcement.)

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
President Obama is not a realistic possibility. Over the Christmas period, I had a chance to discuss politics with a some people from "America's heartland" and the attitude towards an Obama candidacy was accurately summed up by one person who said (and I apologize in advance if this offends anyone) "*igger has forgot his place in life." As sad as this is, as long as these attitudes are out there, an Obama presidency is not a possibility.

Meh. People have said that about electing a female president for years. Fortunately, times change as well as people.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Oy veys mir! Having grown up among the "sweet spirits" of Ewetaw in a mormon family (don't capitalize that word, it only encourages them) verily I can bear my testimony to yea bretheren and sisteren that if Romney becomes president the USA will be invaded by Romney-ulans as prophecized in the original Star Trek episode #38, which is yet another testament of Jesus. In short: we'll all be screwed! As for Huckabee . . . he definitely speaks to the least educated and most frightened.

I would love to see Obama or The Hillary or Edwards win. However, I fear that Obama will become a target, like a deer in the head lights during hunting season. Colin Powell's wife has alluded several times (actually, very openly on Oprah) that she heavily influenced her husband's decision not to run for president back in 2000 because of her fear that he would be assasinated if he won. Such is the fear, loathing, blind hatred and racism that is still prevalant in the USA.

So, there you have it. I've broken the two cardinal rules in one post: broaching religion and politics. Yikes! I'll definitely be back in Nevada the 1st of November readying myself to vote early and often. Some say we're a red state, but actually we're more a bright magenta with blue hues.

Zzingerific

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Oh dear.... The Democratic numbers are delegates, while the Republican numbers are raw vote totals. 212,000 (or so) Democrats turned out, while 115,000 (or so) Republicans turned out. Since the last competitive caucus, the Republicans are up 15&#37;, while the Democrats are up 80%. The turnout suggests, if anything, that Iowa will flip to the Democrats in November.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Oh dear.... The Democratic numbers are delegates, while the Republican numbers are raw vote totals. 212,000 (or so) Democrats turned out, while 115,000 (or so) Republicans turned out. Since the last competitive caucus, the Republicans are up 15%, while the Democrats are up 80%. The turnout suggests, if anything, that Iowa will flip to the Democrats in November.

I am looking at the wrong numbers then, I just took Jason's number without verifying them on my own- so I am wrong there but my assertion still stands- I wholeheartedly believe that Republicans can get more of their suppourters out to vote than the democrats can.

Zzingerific

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I wholeheartedly believe that Republicans can get more of their suppourters out to vote than the democrats can.

The actual turnout numbers prove the opposite.

Also, Obama, a black man, won a midwestern (i.e., heartland) state that is 92&#37; white. Racist attitudes will always exist, but things are changing. The evidence is staring us in the face tonight.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Obama represents hope for a fresh start and an end to the division that has polarized this country for the last 27 years.

That's why he'll get my vote.

He may get a lot of votes because of that but rest assured not enough to get elected President of the United States. And I am not even factoring in his complete lack of experience here either.

Uh... I haven't heard anything about Edwards' pregnant mistress either.

Oh, gee, here it is... National Enquirer. :rolleyes:
UPDATE: <b>JOHN EDWARDS</b> LOVE CHILD SCANDAL! - Celebrity News | Gossip - National Enquirer

I think Obama definitely has a chance at this. I mean, c'mon... Iowa is definitely part of "America's Heartland", and though there may still be people in this country who feel that blacks don't belong in the White House, those people are few and far between.

The Edwards story was widely reported on in the non-western press. I am assuming that the reason that it is not widespread knowledge in the US yet is because A) They want to wait untl he is the part of the ticket to bring it out and B) Most of the other candidates has just as big if not bigger skeletons in their closets.

Meh. People have said that about electing a female president for years. Fortunately, times change as well as people.

Mark my words- America is still not ready to elect a FEMALE president even if one party is ready to nominate one.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Mark my words- America is still not ready to elect a FEMALE president even if one party is ready to nominate one.

Hmmmm . . . I wouldn't be too sure about that considering we had a flaming cross-dresser closet homosexual as head of the FBI for the greater part of the 20th Century.

Zzingerific

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It may be true a minority may not win -- but to say America isn't ready to elect a minority? The polling thus far and the Iowa results indicate that America is.

No one thought America was ready to elect a Catholic President either... until November of 1960. You only need 50&#37; + 1 to be elected (or get really lucky... Mr. Bush). The other half may hate you, but who cares? They lost! :)

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
He may get a lot of votes because of that but rest assured not enough to get elected President of the United States. And I am not even factoring in his complete lack of experience here either.

According to all of the polls taken on American voters, more people want change than experience... Obama represents change, while Clinton represents experience.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'll admit. I expected Hillary to do better than Edwards, but Obama was not my pick for coming in first. Now I am sure Oprah will take the credit for making that happen. Somebody get the steel bands for her ever growing ego.

As for Huckabee? He won't go the distance. No matter what Jay Leno says. A lot of Huckabee's support was union and when he crossed a picket line to go on Leno's show? He sealed that deal there and his numbers have been dropping. If Huckabee gets it, it will be due to heavy lobbying by big business and the holy rollers.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The actual turnout numbers prove the opposite.

Also, Obama, a black man, won a midwestern (i.e., heartland) state that is 92% white. Racist attitudes will always exist, but things are changing. The evidence is staring us in the face tonight.

Lest we forget, an African-American won a midwestern Democratic primary twenty years ago. Jesse Jackson carried Michigan in 1988.

D_Carroll Condomripper

Experimental Member
Media
I can tell a lot of you aren't following the campaigns...especially those who said they didn't expect Edwards to finish near the top....He's been quietly campaigning in Iowa since 2003. Obama is from a neighboring state and spent millions more than either Hillary or Edwards.

If, and that's a biiiiiig if, Obama is the nominee he will not win the general election. It's a hard thing to say but parts of America will not vote for a black man. I live in WV and there is noooo way he would win here. Even if he has a polling lead, black candidates usually do worse on actual election day (private polling booths let you be racist if you want).

There is only one candidate who can actually defeat the republican attack machine and that is Hillary Clinton. She has stood up to it for 16 years and she has always come out stronger. She is the most Admired Woman in America and her husband is the most Admired Man in America. I'm not making that up, Gallup Poll measures it every year.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I just saw an picture of the Huckabee family from a few years ago- I am speechless. The family does truly represent the face of America- the dangerously obese face of america that is.

I think America would elect a female president if she was of the Margaret Thatcher sort. Thatcher, right or wrong, had balls and you could tell she was not someone to be fucked with. Americans respect that kind of thing. Hillary doesn't have the same no-nonsense attitude. She also has loads of baggage from the past and not a lot of experience.

I also think America would elect a black president if Colin Powell ran. He's widely perceived to have integrity, has loads of respect for getting out of Bush's administration when he did, and, more than any other candidate, he has a presidential aura. Powell comes across as a statesman, not a politician. Obama is young and inexperienced in my book. Maybe in another 8 years of office, perhaps in a top cabinet position, I'd pull the lever for him but not right now.

Either Obama or Clinton would make good choices as running mates but as president I'm skeptical of their ability to handle what comes down the pike. I could be wrong, sometimes, as with TR or JFK, we get a young, inexperienced person in office and they make good. Other times we get Pierce, Taylor, or Harding.