Prom Cancelled - Lesbians To Blame

Discussion in 'Politics' started by finsuptx, Mar 11, 2010.

1. finsuptx

finsuptx New Member

Miss. school prom off after lesbian's date request - Yahoo! News-

When the retributions begin against these girls, I sincerely hope the schoolboard is held accountable and liable. The students at this school are going to be rightfully and undeniably pissed that they are being denied their "magical night" and a "right of passage". Someone, undboubtedly, is going to take it out on these girls and probably their families. And while the perpetrator(s) will be responsible for their own actions, the Schoolboard will be ultimately to blame.

I understand that it's Jackson, Mississippi, and they are uncomfortable with the prospect of lesbians dancing together, but the choice to punish the whole class is overkill and rediculous and can ONLY be meant as an attempt to reap punishment on the lesbians.

What is the school's real reason for not allowing them to attend? Because she wanted to wear a tux? Are they afraid the girls were going to "get nasty" on the dancefloor? Other than retribution, cancelling the prom for everyone sounds like laziness.

The mentality of hillbillies will never cease to amaze me.

:confused: :frown1: :eek:

2. therarity84

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    This is so pathetic. I would really like to know what their point is. What is their overall goal with this debacle? To bring attention to the lesbians and have everyone hate them for "taking away prom"? The end result is going to be bad regardless of what happens. Here in TN, I call these types of people "neo-hillbillies". They are simply hillbillies with technology. How a collective mindset is unable to change after more than 100 years is beyond me...:rolleyes:

3. midlifebear

Gold Member

This is truly sad news.

4. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

They need to find 2 gay guys and go as their "dates", and then everyone rejoins their partner once in the door.

Nothing surprises me about intolerant people anymore.

5. Smooth88

Smooth88 New Member

Albums:
  6. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am surprised at the lengths they will go to flex the muscles of whatever "institutitutional intolerance machinery" is available to them. The instant case being a perfect example.

7. B_Mister Buildington

Yes, it is wrong of the school. However- if these girls cared about anyone but themselves, they'd duck out and let everyone have their prom.

8. therarity84

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Wait a minute....you're for real?

Why should they back out and risk having to back out of situations that discriminate against them for the rest of their lives simply because the person they love also has a vagina? What if instead of them being lesbians, this school district focused more on their race (let's say they were an interracial couple back in the 60's)....would they still need to back out just so everyone else can have prom? :confused:

#8 therarity84, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  9. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    And Rosa Parks should have stayed in the back of the bus.:confused:

10. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, if Rosa Parks had cared about anyone but herself, she wouldn't have held the bus line up that day, delaying all the other passengers..........

11. finsuptx

finsuptx New Member

Rosa Parks was a lesbian? *blinkblinkblink*

12. D_Cateryke Cheesysmell

So the school board required that prom attendees who are bringing a date bring one of the opposite sex, and someone told this girl she couldn't wear a tuxedo.

Second point first;

While I don't think anyone should really have that much say over what someone does or does not wear, if they were really trying to have a classy event, why can't she just wear a damn evening gown? Formal attire for men and women has been essentially the same for over a century, so it's not like the request is anything strange. From a dress code standpoint, I don't see any difference between saying no to her request to wear a tux and saying no to the guy who wants to wear one of these. I think the tuxedo thing is a clumsy statement she was trying to make and the school board didn't want her to get her licks in.

EDIT: (I seriously just realized the pun there, sorry).

As to the first point;

Here is where the school was out of line. There is no good reason a lesbian couple can't show up together, get their prom picture taken, drink spiked punch, dance together, and attempt to have a good time amid the burning, lazer-eyed stares of their classmates and faculty. It's not like they're going to magically not be a couple if they show up separately and don't get their photo op. Cancelling prom just to spite them is small minded of the school board and will hopefull come around to bite them in the ass later.

Anyway, prom sucks.

#12 D_Cateryke Cheesysmell, Mar 11, 2010
  13. hud01

Gold Member

They shouldn't have to. This is a statement for the future too. How long is bigotry of this kind going to be allowed?

Ok you can stick your head back in the sand.

14. B_Mister Buildington

A couple people have compared these girls to Rosa Parks.

Rosa Parks would have been selfish, too, if the bus authority told her that her actions would result in nobody being allowed to ride the bus for a year but she still refused to follow the rules.

There are also legitimate differences between what as seen as discrimination against gay couples and discrimination against a single "race".

Totally different situations.

15. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    So when one's rights are trampled, and one feels impelled to challenge the injustice, it's proper etiquette to make the paramount concern the avoidance of inconvenience to those nearby.

16. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    And no one "compared" these girls to Rosa Parks.

We merely mocked your asininity by invoking an immediately recognizable instance of someone who didn't sit idly by while being shat on from a great height.

17. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Don't feed it, fellas.
    Seriously, don't give MB any of your energy. (S)he is trolling.

18. midlifebear

Gold Member

We rescued a bull terrier from the pound back in 1973 and my significant-long-time-companion-other named him (I'm not making this up) Mr. Buildington. I assumed it was a name my lover remembered from some character in a book. But after a couple of months (and the difficulty of saying Buildington all of the time) we acquiesced and simply call him Mr. Buttz for the rest of his terrier life.

OK, now let's get back to discussing why Lebanese girls should be allowed to go to the prom. I just saw a quick news piece on Youtube about these young women and despite having a bit of extra baby fat, they're damn pretty young women. I hope they sue a hole so deep into the school district that they'll be able to afford to buy new text books for everyone in their high school that don't teach creationism. :smile:

EDIT: Whoops! (books teaching creationism that is, not people)

#18 midlifebear, Mar 11, 2010
  19. B_Mister Buildington

Typical sugartits! When someone expresses an opinion that you don't have tolerance for, you accuse them of trolling.

You've accused me of trolling several times now, and I think it's just that you can't handle that there are people out there with legitimate views opposing your own. You're acting like a narrow minded ignoramus. If you disagree with me, tell me WHY instead of just accusing me of being a troll.

20. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Shut up troll. :rolleyes:
    And no, I still won't fuck you no matter how many times you use my name in your sig.

Draft saved Draft deleted