Prom Cancelled - Lesbians To Blame

finsuptx

Expert Member
Media
First of all, morality is relative. Depending on what the world and the nation thinks, different things become acceptable. For instance- at the time of Rosa Parks' bus incident, the vast majority of the nation and the world was against segregation, in terms of popular opinion. Today, there are only 9 nations in the WORLD who perform gay marriage, including the USA and Mexico who, as you know, aren't very open to gay marriage at all.

The nation's opinion of gay marriage is obviously that it is immoral. Almost every time a state or locality has allowed gay marriage, it has been forced back out.

If gay marriage is immoral, why should it be allowed in our public schools? We don't allow the kids public displays of affection in school for the same reason.

Second reason racist discrimination is different: your race is clearly visible just from looking at you. It is something that you can't hide. If these girls really wanted to go to prom together, they could have found a way without official involvement. They could hide it. Instead, they decided to rub it in everyone's face by one of them insisting on going so far as to wear a tuxedo. I wouldn't want them letting in a person wearing assless chaps, either- it would just be an immoral, distracting, selfish act of defiance against the norm, ruining everyone's magical night.

And yes, I already said that the school was wrong to allow them to ruin prom by just shutting it all down.

The discussion wasn't (therefore the question) morality, but discrimination. That schoolboard, Rev. Fred Phelps, Catholic Priests, etc. do not own the copyright on morality. Morality is an opinion, discrimination is a crime. Please stay with the conversation.

Just because you can "tell" someone is black is about as laughable an argument as I've ever heard. Can you please explain what that has to do with the argument as well?

I also categorically dismiss your points on "if the majority is against it, it must be bad" because the majority of the country (including Lincoln) were NOT against slavery continuing to exist in states where it was already legal. Your argument suggests that slavery is okay under that standard. It suggests also, that because the National Guard had to be called in to enforce Brown v. Board of Education means that was the wrong decision.

Finally, as far as "hiding it". Why do they have to? If PDA is forbidden (and have u been on a high school campus lately?) then it shouldn't matter either way.

Since I have your attention, maybe you would take a moment and explain your orientation status of 70% straight and 30% gay. Is it another case of latent homosexuality where your hunger for the same sex has to be eclipsed and hidden from your wife, kids, pastor, neighbors, etc.

It seems to me that is what you are advocating. Be gay, just don't tell anyone? Which leads to seedy bathroom sex, the spread of diseases, lies, deceit, mistrust. Shouting from the mountaintop that homosexuality is immoral while constantly on the lookout for the next big dick to suck is a double standard.

B_quietguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Sheesh! Talk about intolerance in action! What a passive-aggressive school board they have in Mississippi!

And let's not forget the other high school seniors who harassed the young lesbian students saying "Thanks for ruining it for everyone!" It's not like the young lesbian students who ruined a thing - it was the stupid school decision.

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The mentality of hillbillies will never cease to amaze me.

This term doesn't apply...Appalachia and the Ozarks aren't in Miss. I agree with your commentary completely, but the incorrect slur was unwarranted. You could've used hick or redneck and been more accurate in your offense.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Well, regardless of where appalachia ends and the real world continues, Michael McMillien, the father of Constance McMillen who "is the only person responsible for ruining all of her class mates lives because the prom has been cancelled" is supporting his daughter a couple of hundred percent.

Check out Canceled Mississippi prom attracts national attention | clarionledger.com | The Clarion-Ledger

It's rather nice to see a parent get up in the face of a bigoted school and school board. I just sent their defense team (you can find where to donate by following the crumbs) a tidy sum. I didn't send enough for it to hurt, but I did send them enough to feel good.

And by the way, Constance's father ain't nothing to throw out of bed, either. :smile:

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Q: You're trapped in a room with a tiger, a rattlesnake and a
lawyer. You have a gun with two bullets. What should you do?
A: Shoot the lawyer. Twice.

don't tell me -- they have a "right" to a prom?

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I understand that it's Jackson, Mississippi, and they are uncomfortable with the prospect of lesbians dancing together, . . . The mentality of hillbillies will never cease to amaze me.

:confused: :frown1: :eek:
This term doesn't apply...Appalachia and the Ozarks aren't in Miss. I agree with your commentary completely, but the incorrect slur was unwarranted. You could've used hick or redneck and been more accurate in your offense.
Appalachia does believe it or not extend into northeast MS:
Lol, now I will stand corrected. I would never have guessed that one.
Speaking as someone who has actually spent time in Jackson, who had a lesbian college roommate from there, and actually danced with lesbians there at an honest-to-god queer bar back in the late '70's, I have to say I'm a lil surprised. Not that 'Missippi' isn't a little backward, but it's come a lot farther along than people might think from the outside looking in.

So before I get on my high horse about the casual tendency among otherwise enlightened people to refer to Southerners by disparaging terms (which might arguably be appropriate in this instance) may I gently remind y'all that religious conservatives and rednecks are everywhere. And Appalachian or no (and I think that is a huge stretch) I can tell you for a fact the land around there is flat as a pancake. So 'hillbilly' is inappropriate on at least a coupla counts.

I guess the takeaway is: these kinda things happen all over, even in liberal SoCal when I lived there, and not that long ago. It would be helpful I think if we could set the stereotypes aside and not dismiss these events as, "oh well, what do you expect from those ignorant rednecks?". Just kinda creates a little resentment down here, and doesn't really help these "ignorant rednecks" move toward the more 'enlightened' world view.

I'm just sayin . . . .

There's the dinner bell. I'll be back for more serious discussion and slapdowns later y'all. :smile:

Last edited:

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
ACLU doesn't believe in any god, and would like to prohibit all mention of same in all public discourse

Wrong. Although many persons are familiar with the ACLU being consulted to prevent the government from promoting and funding selected religious activities, this organization also is consulted to zealously defend the rights of all religious believers to practice their faith. This is shown here:

ACLU Defense of Religious Practice and Expression | American Civil Liberties Union

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Wrong. Although many persons are familiar with the ACLU being consulted to prevent the government from promoting and funding selected religious activities, this organization also is consulted to zealously defend the rights of all religious believers to practice their faith. This is shown here:

ACLU Defense of Religious Practice and Expression | American Civil Liberties Union

I knew someone was going to bring this up

which is why I limited it to "public discourse", but that will lead to even more nit-picking, so we'll concede the point

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
I guess the takeaway is: these kinda things happen all over, even in liberal SoCal when I lived there, and not that long ago. It would be helpful I think if we could set the stereotypes aside and not dismiss these events as, "oh well, what do you expect from those ignorant rednecks?". Just kinda creates a little resentment down here, and doesn't really help these "ignorant rednecks" move toward the more 'enlightened' world view.

Max has a point here. Just because the South collectively is conservative, doesn't mean there aren't pockets of, well not liberalism, but let's just call it acceptance of the eccentric, if you are one of their own. It's a long standing southern tradition, as Faulkner, Williams, O'Connor and Morris have written about wonderfully, and at length. A Rose for Emily comes to mind.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I knew someone was going to bring this up

which is why I limited it to "public discourse", but that will lead to even more nit-picking, so we'll concede the point

Gee, Nick of the Sixes, the ACLU would even come to your defense if your civil liberties were threatened. Just imagine! :smile:

Reactions: dreamer20

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Max has a point here. Just because the South collectively is conservative, doesn't mean there aren't pockets of, well not liberalism, but let's just call it acceptance of the eccentric, if you are one of their own. It's a long standing southern tradition, as Faulkner, Williams, O'Connor and Morris have written about wonderfully, and at length. A Rose for Emily comes to mind.
Thanks duc, but it's a lot more than that actually. 'Conservatives' may be the majority, but it's not a collective at all. There are actual honest-to-god political progressives (I avoid the term liberal) all over the place, not just in pockets. My little county, which is very rural, is full of them. Not the majority mind you, but enough to make a difference in what happens locally, environmental awareness for one thing. And despite the stereotypes, racists are really a very small, increasingly marginalized minority. Hence my frustration that the Dems and other progressives can be so dismissive and write off the South, allowing the Repubs to manipulate and capitalize on the electorate here. Stupid really.

There is plenty of color and the 'eccentricity' you refer to as well, thank god. It often manifests in a 'live and let live' kind of social acceptance, whether or not you are "one of their own" as you say (though that helps) and even among many churchgoing folk, believe it or not. Thank you for referencing Flannery O'Connor, she is my literary goddess, and I think overlooked as one of our greatest American authors. Everyone please read her short story Good Country People - not what the title suggests, and you will be glad you did. Or dozens of her other stories. But I digress . . . not really.

I'm curious to know if you have spent any time living in the South, duc? As I said before in another thread, there is not a whole lot of difference between red, blue and purple states when you get right down to it. The margins can be pretty slim, and there are progressives and rednecks everywhere, even 'on the Coasts'. :wink:

p.s. don't forget Capote, k?

Last edited: