Prom Cancelled - Lesbians To Blame

B_crackoff

Experimental Member
Media
Some groups of people in this country tolerate others; they don't accept them, they don't respect them, they just tolerate them. People where I live don't tolerate in that sense, they are truly welcoming and couldn't care less what you do in private or who you do it with. Not everyone of course, because I don't live in Pleasantville or Disney World, but acceptance is more the flavor of the area if that makes sense. ...

That's why it's called Tolerance, because tolerance is not acceptance.

E.g a vegan will tolerate other people eating & wearing animal products, but does not accept this is the right behaviour.

Circumcision is a barbaric mutilation, but it is tolerated because it's an age old custom, willing accepted by those communities.

If you only accept, you have to like everything. Who does?

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media
Miss. school prom off after lesbian's date request - Yahoo! News-

When the retributions begin against these girls, I sincerely hope the schoolboard is held accountable and liable. The students at this school are going to be rightfully and undeniably pissed that they are being denied their "magical night" and a "right of passage". Someone, undboubtedly, is going to take it out on these girls and probably their families. And while the perpetrator(s) will be responsible for their own actions, the Schoolboard will be ultimately to blame.

I understand that it's Jackson, Mississippi, and they are uncomfortable with the prospect of lesbians dancing together, but the choice to punish the whole class is overkill and rediculous and can ONLY be meant as an attempt to reap punishment on the lesbians.

What is the school's real reason for not allowing them to attend? Because she wanted to wear a tux? Are they afraid the girls were going to "get nasty" on the dancefloor? Other than retribution, cancelling the prom for everyone sounds like laziness.

The mentality of hillbillies will never cease to amaze me.

:confused: :frown1: :eek:

lets not condem the whole community before anything happens. yeah a school official did a stupid thing. that doesn't mean that the the student body is going to go after the girls. Hopefully they will go after the school.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
That's why it's called Tolerance, because tolerance is not acceptance.

Tolerance and acceptance are synonymous.

E.g a vegan will tolerate other people eating & wearing animal products, but does not accept this is the right behaviour.

At the same time, that same vegan would not rally up a bunch of different vegans and try to push for legislation to be passed to lawfully prevent others from eating and wearing animal products. Tolerance, in a nutshell, means you acknowledge what people may do as being different, and you allow them that right to be that way despite your beliefs.

If you only accept, you have to like everything. Who does?

You don't have to like everything you accept. But it would be advisable to not force people to live the way you feel is best. BTW... no discriminative circumcision talk, please. Not on this thread.

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Canada had a similar issue a few years ago with a guy who wanted to bring his boyfriend to the prom. This was in the relegious Catholic system in Ontario. He took the school board to court and won. It was even made into a TV movie called "Prom Queen"

Canada's charter of rights protects everyone even if it is not popular. People's rights should not be decided on by referendums during elections. I find this practice terribly wrong. Referendums are fine but not when it comes to human rights. What happened to ....the land of the FREE and the home of the brave......

finsuptx

Expert Member
Media
Canada had a similar issue a few years ago with a guy who wanted to bring his boyfriend to the prom. This was in the relegious Catholic system in Ontario. He took the school board to court and won. It was even made into a TV movie called "Prom Queen"

Canada's charter of rights protects everyone even if it is not popular. People's rights should not be decided on by referendums during elections. I find this practice terribly wrong. Referendums are fine but not when it comes to human rights. What happened to ....the land of the FREE and the home of the brave......

America is the land of the free, only so long as it remains home of the brave. My opinion is these girls are brave.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Maxcock, thank you for jumping to the South's defense.
Well somebody's got to. I got picked cause they's not to many edjoomacated piple round here.

I hate to stereotype, but coastal blue staters are just about the worst at stereotyping other states. I don't know how many times I've had to explain to East Coasters that the Detroit area has upper class areas, cultural landmarks, bustling businesses, etc etc. It's so cute when a college aged kid from Westchester who has never lived anywhere else in his life gives me a speech about how all other cities are inferior. (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE NYC!)

EDIT: And yeah, I know plenty in the South who have a lot to say about "Yanks" and such, but it's interesting to hear people who are generally PC liberal types rip on entire sections of the country like they are automatons
Down with all the above. And let it be noted, that among their many other charms, Southerners are endowed (hmm) with a terrific sense of humor. When they refer to Yankees, it's generally in jest.
The reverse, not so much.

D_Harvey Schmeckel

Sexy Member
Media
In many ways, lumping all the former Confederate states together as a basis for regional generalizations is misleading. Having lived mostly in VA and NC but briefly in the Deep South and Rust Belt, I feel much closer to the national mainstream here. Having family members on both sides of the color line, as well as both sides of the Mason-Dixon line, I've found race relations better in NC than anywhere else I've spent much time, just in terms of social distance. There's real warmth in interpersonal relations that I did not see in either the Deep South (at all! anywhere!) or up North.

Virginia is wealthier and better educated than Ohio and Pennsylvania, but Yankees who rail against ignernt rednecks cut us no slack at all! The Obama vote among whites by state was absolutely abysmal in AL, LA, MS. But FL, NC, VA, helped Obama win thanks to a large minority vote. White voter percentages for Obama were respectable in these states and in TN, WV, KY compared to equally Republican strongholds in the Great Plains and Midwest.

What we didn't overcome, part 2. - By Timothy Noah - Slate Magazine

Last edited:

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
America is the land of the free, only so long as it remains home of the brave. My opinion is these girls are brave.

Beg Pardon?

What the fuck is Free?

The girls need to go after the school and hit them where it will hurt the most - their pocket.

While I have a hard time with folks in drag, the school's actions were completely out of line, and they showed how deep their ignorance really is.

I say to the Lesbians:

Rent a Park, Have a major prom bash with a DJ, Drinks and have a ball. Let the school sit with thier ignorance.
So what if the school cancelled THEIR prom. Let them sit with their lost money, and getting sued on top of it.

Plan your own party, and ROCK it.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Beg Pardon?

What the fuck is Free?

The girls need to go after the school and hit them where it will hurt the most - their pocket.

While I have a hard time with folks in drag, the school's actions were completely out of line, and they showed how deep their ignorance really is.

I say to the Lesbians:

Rent a Park, Have a major prom bash with a DJ, Drinks and have a ball. Let the school sit with thier ignorance.
So what if the school cancelled THEIR prom. Let them sit with their lost money, and getting sued on top of it.

That's what I'm talking about!
And considering how much of a political statement that would be, imagine how many people they could rustle up to contribute? The mind wanders... :wink:

Very well said. It seems like the more Canadians I meet, the more I feel the U.S. could actually learn a few things from our good neighbors above us...:wink:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Beg Pardon?

What the fuck is Free?

I say to the Lesbians:

That's all good, but I don't think she should have to pay for it. I understand she's got over 100,000 new friends on Facebook now, maybe somebody could start a collection?

The LGBT Center in San Dayglo sponsors "the Other Prom" every year for gay high school kids to cut loose in a very supportive and affirming environment. It is, of course, ultra fabulous. I wouldn't be surprised if straight kids gay it up just to get in. I imagine (I hope) this happens in other cities too?

Last edited:

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
-Lesbians To Blame

I think this would make a great all-purpose headline:

Housing Bubble erases billions in equity - Lesbians To Blame
Bin Laden still living in lawless north Pakistan - Lesbians To Blame
Lindsay Lohan back in rehab - Lesbians To Blame

(ok, that last one sounds semi-plausible)

D_Harvey Schmeckel

Sexy Member
Media
I think this would make a great all-purpose headline:

Housing Bubble erases billions in equity - Lesbians To Blame
Bin Laden still living in lawless north Pakistan - Lesbians To Blame
Lindsay Lohan back in rehab - Lesbians To Blame

(ok, that last one sounds semi-plausible)

MSNBC has best news show on cable-- Lesbians to Blame

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Getting back to the lesbian teenagers and their prom . . . rhett-huh, if Constance (the alpha lesbian in question) is lucky, she may have parlayed her otherwise crepe paper and Elmer's glue with glitter covered hearts with a much better alternative. A wealthy hotel owner in New Orleans who owns several convention-style venues, has offered to host Contance's own prom in Louisiana. Now, who wouldn't want a little bon temps a rollin' on at their prom instead of the same lousy local band that plays all of the high schools and have to deal with the school counselors and the principal ('cause he's your "pal") who often use Junior and Senior proms as a way to torture fringe students they don't like? The guy is even willing to have everyone chaufeured on climate-controlled buses (not school buses). What a nice guy. :smile:

Last edited:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Getting back to the lesbian teenagers and their prom . . . rhett-huh, if Constance (the alpha lesbian in question) is lucky, she may have parlayed her otherwise crepe paper and Elmer's glue with glitter covered hearts with a much better alternative. An wealthy hotel owner in New Orleans who owns several convention-style venues, has offered to host Contance's own prom in Louisiana. Now, who wouldn't want a little bon temps a rollin' on at their prom instead of the same lousy local band that plays all of the high schools and have to deal with the school counselors and the principal ('cause he's your "pal") who often use Junior and Senior proms as a way to torture fringe students they don't like? The guy is even willing to have everyone chaufeured on climate-controlled buses (not school buses). What a nice guy. :smile:

:arms: Fukn Awesome! Eat your heart out Assholes! :fu:

D_Tyrone_Tittickler

Experimental Member
Media
No, I don't think it does. It comes under the "let live" part. In the broadest possible terms, there has to be some mutually agreed-upon code of social conduct.

In healthy societies there are times and places where you get to break that code and "let your hair down"; mardi gras, college, bars and clubs, even the amish don't have to be amish their whole lives... But then you have to go back to being a little less wild because otherwise we end up not respecting, but merely tolerating one another. I'm not making a point about this prom girl, about gay marriage, or any other issue with ready made talking points, so just bear with me...

Forgive me for the semantic aside, but I want to try and illustrate where I'm coming from; We really do have a vibrant, healthy culture in this country, warts and all, and I see it being torn down piece by piece under the guise of tolerance. (that twitch, right there? just keep reading) Who isn't in favor of tolerance, right? intolerant people, that's who, and nobody likes them.

Whenever I hear the term "tolerance," it always has always had a grudging undertone to it. I know you didn't use it, I don't like it anyway.

Some groups of people in this country tolerate others; they don't accept them, they don't respect them, they just tolerate them. People where I live don't tolerate in that sense, they are truly welcoming and couldn't care less what you do in private or who you do it with. Not everyone of course, because I don't live in Pleasantville or Disney World, but acceptance is more the flavor of the area if that makes sense.

I do not see how the requirement that someone be mature and respectful of others in public is repressive or unfair to homosexuals or anyone else. Respect is differnt from tolerance in that you won't get smiles all the time like you do from "tolerant" people, but when you do get one you can be damn sure it's genuine. We've all been on the receiving end of a "tolerant" grin before, don't you just love em?

A gay couple wants to walk down the street holding hands, shares a kiss, where I live, nobody will bat an eye. On the other hand, if someone walks around in high moral dudgeon all the time, makes a scene for no good reason, or cries "homophobe" because someone just asks that you don't do something that's bothering them, will be regarded as a first rate twat, and rightly so. People always say sexuality is fluid. So are comfort levels around things like public affection. No less legitimate, because it is a respect thing.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that I take issue with your attitude when you say that a request for respect is against the idea of "live and let live". Live and let live can work, even in the south :rolleyes:, but it can't work if we are only going to "tolerate" one another rather than really try to treat people with dignity. I don't want to just tolerate my neighbors, I'd really rather like them instead.

Of course, I've never been to Mississippi, so I don't know how it works there...

You are correct, 5skin. I do not like the term "tolerance" either. Tolerance reminds of me of people who become passive agressive when they are around someone with whom they do not approve. Respect implies that someone genuinely appreciates the other even when they disagree. I am a Southerner who has also lived in the North and the North is not a bastion of respectful and genuine people as some would lead us to believe.

I presently am working at a homeless shelter and advocacy center which is located in a middle class southside neighborhood of Chicago. All of the assistance which we receive comes from groups and communities outside of our immediate area; not just the suburbs but locales in Mississippi and Alabama. Some of my enlightened immediate neighbors do not see the value in aiding their disadvantaged Chicagoans. They tolerate our presence because they have to by law, but they are not respectful by any stretch of the imagination.

I feel compassion for these girls. Some of their fellow students will ridicule them, some others will tolerate their presence while talking about them behind their backs, and others, even though they may disagree, will treat them with dignity. I hope that the latter are in the majority.