Prominent GOP hesitantly getting on board with healthcare reform --- Tide turning?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse, Oct 7, 2009.

1. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Former Senate majority leader Bob Dole is the latest to come around:

"Sometimes people fight you just to fight you," he said, according to The Kansas City Star. "They don't want Reagan to get it, they don't want Obama to get it, so we've got to kill it... Health care is one of those things," he added. "Now we've got to do something."

Bob Dole: Health Care Will Pass, GOP Should Get On Board

Another former senate majority leader, Bill Frist (MD), is also on board:

Were he still in the Senate, "I would end up voting for it," he said. "As leader, I would take the heat for it... That's what leadership is all about"

Bill Frist on Health Bill: I’d Vote For It - Swampland - TIME.com

You can also add CA governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and former NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg to the list.

Schwarzenegger Latest Republican To Back Health Care Reform

What's happening in the back rooms.... deals are being struck and support is being solidified.

From yesterday's Roll Call...

Moderate Senate Democrats face increasing pressure to support a health care bill that includes a public insurance option, and many appear prepared to fall in line with Democratic leaders — provided they are presented with a bill that can withstand public scrutiny in their home states.

As a fallback, Senate Democratic leaders have stepped up their pressure on centrists to stick with the party on procedural votes. At a minimum, leaders have asked all 60 Democrats to allow them to bring a health care bill to the floor in order to make sure Republicans cannot filibuster it.

Democratic Senate aides familiar with the thinking of Conference moderates said centrists want to vote for a health care reform bill — even one that is politically problematic — because it appeals emotionally to their inner Democrat.

Senate’s Moderates Falling in Line - Roll Call

--------------------

I think the dems are finally getting their act together. I'm not sure what the public option will look like or what it will be called at day's end, but I'm fairly sure it cannot pass without it.

Here's a final line from a HuffPo article:

It’s very strange. We’ve had months of sturm and drang, and massive attention focused on the question, Whither health care reform? It’s just quietly turned into a fait accompli.

#1 D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

BREAKING: Senate GOP Folding Over Health Care Reform

"I am told quite reliably that in a meeting today on Capitol Hill, Republican Senators began to rapidly move toward concessions on health care because they are afraid they cannot hold their members. Some Republicans are now thinking of supporting a government program."

------------------

ha ha. "Red State" is sounding the red alert.

3. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Paul Krugman had a great Op-Ed over the weekend titled "The Politics of Spite" where he reduced anti-Obamaism by Republicans to its core, which is "If Republicans think something might be good for the president, they’re against it — whether or not it’s good for America".

I agree with Krugman, but wish to see this sort of partisan and divisive bickering wane, before we reach an ideological impasse that is equivalent to the truculent period preceding the American Civil War. If Bill Frist and others begin to move toward collaboration, as opposed to obstruction, perhaps others in the country would begin to see their president and the administration as working for the nation’s benefit and not an enemy.

Note, I do not want our representatives to vote for bad policy because Obama proposes it; rather, I want them to collaborate and form a good policy. I have no respect for anyone that advocates separatism as an alternative to cooperation.

4. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wow, are you ever in the right place, lady... :biggrin1:

5. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I like that.

I can remember being annoyed by some of my former friends who permanently emigrated to foreign shores when Bush was elected and re-elected. I thought them cowardly. Their votes were needed here at home to combat the wingnuttery running rampant.

I hold in equal disdain the current crop of conservative crybaby malcontents who brandish their guns and nod their heads when certain politicians suggest secession.

#5 SpeedoGuy, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  6. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well said, smart Lady.

Draft saved Draft deleted