Promise Rings

D

deleted157868

I'm thinking about getting one for my girlfriend. We know that we will marry each other and we talk about it all the time, and since engagement rings are really expensive and being engaged at my age this day in age is frowned upon, I want to get her a promise ring. Do you guys think its a good idea? And if so how much should I spend and how should I present it to her?

Does she know you're bi-curious and that you want to sexually explore those feelings? If she doesn't or isn't OK with that then I suggest holding off on the ring or planning anything else until you explore your sexuality more.

D

deleted157868

Does she know you're bi-curious and that you want to sexually explore those feelings? If she doesn't or isn't OK with that then I suggest holding off on the ring or planning anything else until you explore your sexuality more.
I'm bi curious to the extent where pictures may arouse me but I never pleasure myself to them. I really will never have any relations with an other man.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think it's a quaint idea. I much prefer the idea of a boyfriend giving one to his girlfriend than when fathers give them to their daughters and have a big ceremony and ball to go with it. If you don't have a lot of money to spend I hear WalMart sells real gemstones these days. Apparently prices range from as low as $70 to into the thousands if you go to a real jewelry store.

I suggest you google 'promise ring' and also check out e-bay.

A promise ring is a ring that is indicative of a serious promise made to oneself or another. In most cases, it's given to a romantic partner to signify a commitment to a monogamous relationship, sometimes as a precursor to an engagement ring. Students sometimes use class rings as promise rings, although this may be less common than in the past.[citation needed] A friend may also bestow a promise ring to another friend to signify their loyalty and/or resolve to remain friends forever.[citation needed] In other cases, a promise ring may just be purchased for oneself as a reminder of a personal promise. Promise rings can be worn on any finger, but those symbolizing pre-engagement are generally worn on the left ring finger; sometimes, the left middle finger or right ring finger is used instead to prevent confusion with an actual engagement ring.[citation needed]
HISTORY
Promise rings date back to the 16th century. They were also known as friendship rings and illustrations show these rings as early as 1576 AD. In those days, when a man could not afford to get married, he would often buy a promise ring as a placeholder until such time he would be able to effectuate a marriage. During the 20th century, in some instances women would offer men's promise rings to their man because, at the time, he was unable to commission to be wed. It was generally a surprise offering and was something the man could accept or deny.

Tradition generally holds that these rings were given by younger couples. This was usually the case because it was normal for the young couple not to have a wealth position that would allow for marriage and children. Nowadays anyone can give a promise ring, regardless of wealth or social status. [1]

hot_topic90

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

i don't see why that would be important. just because he's bi-curious doesn't mean he will act on those feelings. what you're saying also implies....from my standpoint...that bi-curious/bisexual people are incapable of being in monogamous relationships. i hope i'm reading that wrong.

D

deleted157868

I think it's a quaint idea. I much prefer the idea of a boyfriend giving one to his girlfriend than when fathers give them to their daughters and have a big ceremony and ball to go with it. If you don't have a lot of money to spend I hear WalMart sells real gemstones these days. Apparently prices range from as low as $70 to into the thousands if you go to a real jewelry store.

I suggest you google 'promise ring' and also check out e-bay.
A promise ring is a ring that is indicative of a serious promise made to oneself or another. In most cases, it's given to a romantic partner to signify a commitment to a monogamous relationship, sometimes as a precursor to an engagement ring. Students sometimes use class rings as promise rings, although this may be less common than in the past.[citation needed] A friend may also bestow a promise ring to another friend to signify their loyalty and/or resolve to remain friends forever.[citation needed] In other cases, a promise ring may just be purchased for oneself as a reminder of a personal promise. Promise rings can be worn on any finger, but those symbolizing pre-engagement are generally worn on the left ring finger; sometimes, the left middle finger or right ring finger is used instead to prevent confusion with an actual engagement ring.[citation needed]
HISTORY
Promise rings date back to the 16th century. They were also known as friendship rings and illustrations show these rings as early as 1576 AD. In those days, when a man could not afford to get married, he would often buy a promise ring as a placeholder until such time he would be able to effectuate a marriage. During the 20th century, in some instances women would offer men's promise rings to their man because, at the time, he was unable to commission to be wed. It was generally a surprise offering and was something the man could accept or deny.

Tradition generally holds that these rings were given by younger couples. This was usually the case because it was normal for the young couple not to have a wealth position that would allow for marriage and children. Nowadays anyone can give a promise ring, regardless of wealth or social status. [1]
Thanks. I'm thinking of going into Zales or one of those places and I'm looking to spend anywhere from 125-250.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Damn! This does not bode well at all. Sadly, this has James Mc Greevey written all over it. :frown1:

I'm bi curious to the extent where pictures may arouse me but I never pleasure myself to them. I really will never have any relations with an other man.
hahaha yeah, right! :tongue: Please take Jason_Els advice. Sexuality isn't something you choose, it just is.

Thanks. I'm thinking of going into Zales or one of those places and I'm looking to spend anywhere from 125-250.
Save your money, put it towards a cock ring or something.

D

deleted157868

Damn! This does not bode well at all. Sadly, this has James Mc Greevey written all over it. :frown1:

hahaha yeah, right! :tongue: Please take Jason_Els advice. Sexuality isn't something you choose, it just is.

Save your money, put it towards a cock ring or something.
Hmm, I really didn't appreciate that at all.

XXXTonyGXXX

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
To be honest i think a promise ring is ok but the idea of getting married at such a young age doesn't hold well. I mean listen to love line for a week and see that is a lot problems when people marry. I think it is great that you found someone you like but take a step and do really think you can be with her and only her the rest of your life? Also ask yourself if she can be with you and only for the rest of her life? The last and most important question is can you forgive each other if & when one of you makes a mistake?

D

deleted157868

To be honest i think a promise ring is ok but the idea of getting married at such a young age doesn't hold well. I mean listen to love line for a week and see that is a lot problems when people marry. I think it is great that you found someone you like but take a step and do really think you can be with her and only her the rest of your life? Also ask yourself if she can be with you and only for the rest of her life? The last and most important question is can you forgive each other if & when one of you makes a mistake?
Yes, I have thought about all those things long and hard. Our realtionships foundation is mostly on the non-physical part. We know we are the ones for each other.

XXXTonyGXXX

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Yes, I have thought about all those things long and hard. Our realtionships foundation is mostly on the non-physical part. We know we are the ones for each other.

well those are the questions you will need to answer and not thing to find out if you should really be each others better half? Also have you guys lived together? That can change a relationship real fast.

D

deleted157868

well those are the questions you will need to answer and not thing to find out if you should really be each others better half? Also have you guys lived together? That can change a relationship real fast.
She is the one. I know it.

I know you have approached men on this forum with the intent to do just that.

There is nothing wrong with that.

If your intended lady love is cool with you not being monogamous then there's nothing wrong with that either.

If your intended lady love has no idea you have a desire to act on these feelings, then that is wrong. Do what you like with your life but don't promise your fidelity to this girl when you're looking to try sex with someone else. Only promise your fidelity when you know you can keep it and right now you do not seem able to do so.

You may be an exception to the rule, but most men with bi or gay leanings need to go out on a few test drives before they commit to a particular model. The more they put it off the more intense the feelings become and then your promise of monogamy goes from being a source of satisfaction to a ball and chain. You end-up resenting the very person you're supposed to be caring for and it makes both your lives miserable.

Don't end-up like that. Go out and sow your oats now. Try a few different things with different people and only then decide that you've made the right choice or not.

You owe it to this woman if you care for her as much as you say. That's the truth and I hope you understand I'm saying this in the hope that it leads both of you to happier lives.

i don't see why that would be important. just because he's bi-curious doesn't mean he will act on those feelings. what you're saying also implies....from my standpoint...that bi-curious/bisexual people are incapable of being in monogamous relationships. i hope i'm reading that wrong.

I refer you to the comments I made above.

Yes, you are reading that wrong. I know very well that bisexuality does not mean a person is incapable of maintaining a monogamous partnership.

XXXTonyGXXX

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
is she your first love or the first girl you have did it with? You are 19 and your body is not even fully developed yet physically or even as a person. Take it slow and just go with the flow and just take a open and honest look at your relationship with out the worry of losing her.

D

deleted157868

I know you have approached men on this forum with the intent to do just that.

There is nothing wrong with that.

If your intended lady love is cool with you not being monogamous then there's nothing wrong with that either.

If your intended lady love has no idea you have a desire to act on these feelings, then that is wrong. Do what you like with your life but don't promise your fidelity to this girl when you're looking to try sex with someone else. Only promise your fidelity when you know you can keep it and right now you do not seem able to do so.

You may be an exception to the rule, but most men with bi or gay leanings need to go out on a few test drives before they commit to a particular model. The more they put it off the more intense the feelings become and then your promise of monogamy goes from being a source of satisfaction to a ball and chain. You end-up resenting the very person you're supposed to be caring for and it makes both your lives miserable.

Don't end-up like that. Go out and sow your oats now. Try a few different things with different people and only then decide that you've made the right choice or not.

You owe it to this woman if you care for her as much as you say. That's the truth and I hope you understand I'm saying this in the hope that it leads both of you to happier lives.

I refer you to the comments I made above.

Yes, you are reading that wrong. I know very well that bisexuality does not mean a person is incapable of maintaining a monogamous partnership.
I have approached people in the manner that most sex is discussed in this section, jokingly. I dont want to offend anyone but the thought of having sex with a man and sodomy in general makes me cringe, and if I unknowingly am linked to a video of such I get disgusted. (By no means am trying to offend anyone here, so please don't be offended)

Honey123

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
She is the one. I know it.

I think it's sweet.

It doesn't sound terribly romantic, but be frugal as possible. Price rings at at least 3 stores. Check out pawn shops and discount stores as well (Costco). You may have trouble spending less than $300 other wise. Even at the Shane Company the cheapest is $300 Round Diamond Three Stone Ring at Shane Co

Please, don't get her something cheesy - go classy because you want her to wear it with pride that you gave it to her and she will keep it forever, possibly passing it on to your son or daughter. Try to get 14k gold (not 10k) if you can.

Walmart does have some good ones. Some look like engagement rings with tiny little stones, others look like high school girl friend/boy friend rings.
Walmart.com: Keepsake Personalized Loving Promise Ring with Diamonds: Rings

JCPenny's looks like they are having a sale http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.asp...partial|Ntpr|1|Ntpc|1|FN513|$100.00+-+$199.99

Have fun and Good Luck