Pronouns

if you don't know if someone is trans, how do you politely refer to him or her? Should you ask? What if you turn out wrong? What if it turns out you just called a butch lesbian who is looking for an excuse to kick a man's ass "mr." or "he?"

Reactions: malakos

MizzSummers

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Most lgbt people are ok with being asked what their preferred pronouns are if it is done politely.
There is a difference between asking some " Are you like a man or woman, what should I call you?!"
to " Hey I am just wondering what your preferred pronouns are?"

I have never met someone who has gotten offended. Some people might laugh, but they usually don't get offended.

Reactions: 1101851

Englishmansabroad

Expert Member
Media
if you don't know if someone is trans, how do you politely refer to him or her? Should you ask? What if you turn out wrong? What if it turns out you just called a butch lesbian who is looking for an excuse to kick a man's ass "mr." or "he?"
Then you get your ass kicked by a butch lesbian.

No offence, I'm sure you meant well, but I find this a slightly silly question. It is rarely that hard to tell how people identity, i.e.trans woman or lesbian, or at least how to ask people without being offensive.

Samantha Hopkins

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm old fashioned, but I honestly I think this a solution looking for a crisis. Unless you are a highschooler or on some leftist college campus getting a degree in something that wont get you a job, this is really not a issue. I dont think people in real life care that much. Being polite is enough.

Englishmansabroad

Expert Member
Media
I'm old fashioned, but I honestly I think this a solution looking for a crisis. Unless you are a highschooler or on some leftist college campus getting a degree in something that wont get you a job, this is really not a issue. I dont think people in real life care that much. Being polite is enough.
Yes.