Prop 8 National Protest Saturday

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kalipygian, Nov 12, 2008.

1. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. Omu

Omu New Member

You all keep up the good fight over there in California! Gay hatred is so uncool!

3. Garth33

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Agree with you Omu - it is uncool. The difference was the religious nuts organized, raised money, campaigned and got their way. Anyone have any idea when the Knights of Columbus and the Mormons were on the same side of things? I don't have a problem with it at all but I honestly don't know how much protests will help but best of luck anyway.

4. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    but why isn't anyone saying anything about florida's amendment 2 and whatever they had goin on in arizona? see, they didn't pay enough attention to the other states passing such bullshit laws that i don't even know what it's called in arizona!

5. OldPArtner

OldPArtner New Member

but see you'd think *cali* would be progressive enough to beat that back, even though a similar amendment passed in 2000 by an even bigger margin and was struck down by the courts just as this one will hopefully be

6. Snozzle

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  7. Principessa

Gold Member

Surferboy, as near as I can tell you are spittting into the wind on this one. :frown1: The only thing I can think of is that the gays in Florida are either all in the closet, not registered to vote, or they are self-loathing Log Cabin Republicans who don't believe they have the right to be married.

8. mindseye

Gold Member

The substantial difference is that Amendment 2 didn't change anything in Florida (or Arizona). Florida had not yet passed equal marriage rights, so the amendment represents a future roadblock for when the struggle for equality reaches Florida.

California had already enabled equal marriage, and 18,000 couples stand to have their legal marriages invalidated by bigots. The fight in California is a fight over an issue in the present, not the future. That makes this fight more urgent, and any victories we earn in the courts will give us legal precedents to work with when we take the fight to Florida.

9. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    i understand that it didn't change anything for gays in florida, but there are two things at work here brah. first off, it's an amendment that has been added to the constitution, which is always hard to appeal. there is now an extremely slim chance that gays can ever marry in florida. fuck, now they have no hope of adoption now, either. also, it makes it so that, should a gay or lesbian couple be married elsewhere, the state refuses to recognize it.

then there's the other aspect of amendment 2. this affects everyone, gay, bi, or straight. amendment 2 makes it so that, should someone be in a relationship, they cannot stay with, and in some cases, cannot even visit their partner (i hate that word, but i'm using it as a broad term for the sake of this). that's so fucked up. and, of course, the fuckin religious right was so concerned with making sure the gays can't get married that they did some shady practices for get this bill to bass. not many peoples know that amendment 2 also bans peoples from visiting and staying at the hospital with the person they're in a relationship with. this is bullshit, and i'm kinda ashamed for be living in florida. and peoples wonder why me and my friends from back on o'ahu call peoples down here floridiots.

they are so not in the closet in the palm beach/broward/miami-dade tri-county area. these three counties are home to the nation's "gayest" neighborhoods. and i know they're registered to vote, because they've elected openly gay officials, and they've voted to improve areas in wilton manors, which is ft. laudydaudy's largest gay city. i dunno about the self-loathing republican part though :confused:

10. Nrets

Nrets Member

I think these are all factors.

Also, you have to consider that California is sort of the benchmark of America. Just like General motors is the heartbeart.:eek: People across the country are looking at how Califonria handles this because they feel that what happens in Califonria will happen everywhere. One way or another.

11. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    A similar constitutional amendment was passed here ten years ago. It is a big embarrassment to me as well.

These will eventually be struck down in all states, some of course sooner than others. The one here has not been tested in court yet.

The ACLU focuses it's efforts in states where the Supreme Court is likely to strike them down. It is actually counterproductive to bring a suit where this would likely fail. (Florida is where I was born, and mostly grew up)

12. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    Looks like I succeeded in getting the protest in Anchorage moved from under Mark's window to under Sarah's window.:biggrin1:

It will (probably) be at the main Anchorage state office building, the Atwood building, 550 w 7th, where the governor's office is. This is where she spends most of her time, she only is in the capitol when the Legislature is in session.

It will also (I hope) be at noon, the time the rest of the country is doing it would be totally dark here, and there would be few people downtown on a Saturday morning to see it. (the time is not settled yet, most people have agreed.)

Most places in the country it is at the city hall, we have a very supportive Mayor and Administration, it would be extremely strange if I were to protest outside the office of the person whose senate campaign I am volunteering on, and who was endorsed by the HRC, and spoke in public from the stage at Pride Week.

13. OldPArtner

OldPArtner New Member

1. By the time our children are grown, enough of the reactionary old farts will be dead and enough relatively tolerant people from the younger generation will be voting for these amendments to be struck down in nearly every state, and by then there will surely be a successful movement to enshrine the basic civil rights of all people, irrespectively of their sexual orientation (maybe even gender identity, but that might take even longer), in the U.S. Constitution, and only 38 states need to agree for same-sex marriage to become legal in the rest of them (I mean 26 states now have constitutional bans, but remember, one state at a time...)!

Honestly, as the example of Prohibition shows us, it's ultimately a matter of America becoming a more tolerant society, and not even an unrighteous Palin-esque fervor can enshrine discrimination into our laws if enough of us disapprove.

2. I wonder what Floridians think about the use of "peoples" and "da kine"...but it's a Hawai'ian thing, they wouldn't understand. (FTR, I grew up in the Midwest and aspire to live in New England so it's not the Gator pride talking.)

14. D_Marazion Analdouche

Pointing the blame towards republicans is a cop out. It sas nothing to do with being republican. Prop 8 needed votes from both sides to pass, couldn't do it without democratic votes. And if you don't believe democrats are not also religious nuts, then I invite you out here to Mass. For a state that is very liberal it's been full of fear, hatred and bigotry.

15. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    when i first moved down here, peoples made fun of the way i talked. i even started for take speech classes for change the way i talk, yah? but then i realized that, if they don't like the way i talk, then they can go fuck themselves. i shouldn't have for change who i am forp lease the peoples here.

16. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    Few people are aware that Hawaiians have their own version of the common language.

17. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    don't forget the African Americans who voted for it in en force...

18. Principessa

Gold Member

I used to live in Leominster, trust me I know religious Democrats can be just as conservative and crazy as the right wing ones. :tongue:

19. OldPArtner

OldPArtner New Member

The big thing, however, was the organization by the agents of intolerance based in Utah; if not for them, we might have seen something like 45% support among whites, Asians, and people of other races, 49% among Hispanics, and 65% among blacks and then the measure would have failed.

20. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

And if "race baiting" is what you're into, then don't forget the 4+ million white people who voted "en force" about it too. They make up at least 80% of the people who helped pass the bill to begin with.

Religious ignorance knows no color. So please, shut the fuck up with your bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted