EarthShell
ElCoyote Restaurant Resturant in Los Angeles
Fisher-Price, Inc
Five Star Quality Care, Inc.
Franklin Covey
Hillenbrand Industries
Headwaters, Inc.
Heinz Asia/Pacific
Hollywood Entertainment (Hollywood Video)
Host Marriott (Marriot Hotels and Resorts
Iomega
JetBlue
JP Realty
KeyCorp
Knight Transportation
Kroger foods (Ralph's and Albertsons)
K-Swiss Inc.
La Quinta Properties, Inc (La quinta Hotels)
Micrel Semiconductor
Micro General
Merit Medical Systems
Monaco Coach
Microsemi Corp.
Myriad Genetics
Novell
NPS Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
NuSkin
Oil States International
Oakley
Priceline.com Inc.
Phelps Dodge Corp.
Ryder Systems
SkyWest Airlines
Specta
Sunrider International
Swift Transportation
Tropical Sportswear
Williams Companies, Inc.
Zions Bancorp
Radio Stations
Chicago KTMX-FM and WCLR-FM
Dallas KAAM-AM, KZPS-FM and KAFM-FM
Kansas City KMBZ-AM and KMBR-FM
Los Angeles KBIG-FM
New York WNSR-FM
Phoenix KMEO-AM/FM
Salt Lake KSL-AM
San Francisco KOIT-AM/FM
Seattle KIRO-AM and KSEA-FM

Ed69

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Avista Corp. is providing the gas that keeps my home warm and allows us to cook our meals.Dell computer is how I'm viewing this thread.I like to eat,stay warm in the winter and surf the internet.a boycott won't happen in this house.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm willing to participate in a boycott over this, but I'd like to verify the names on the list, because I think there's a lot of misinformation out there.

AfterEllen.com, for example, has a list of companies to boycott here which is completely different and doesn't include any of the major corporations found on Jason's list.

The LA Times has a search engine for contributions for and against Proposition 8, and I was unable to verify (for example) American Express or Kroger as contributors.

B_JasonDawgxxx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Avista Corp. is providing the gas that keeps my home warm and allows us to cook our meals.Dell computer is how I'm viewing this thread.I like to eat,stay warm in the winter and surf the internet.a boycott won't happen in this house.

Maybe because your rights arent at stake here. Stay warm and surf the net.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That's uncalled-for -- here in rural Virginia, for example, we have no choice in who heats our home; there's only one provider to our county. I wouldn't ask anyone to endanger their health for our boycott.

If someone's home is heated by Avista gas, and that's their only provider, I wouldn't judge them for keeping their family warm.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Please forgive my naivete, but why are there people outside of California giving money to end gay marriage? :confused: IMO if they don't get to vote on it, then they don't have a dog in the fight and should butt out. :cool:

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ah, boycotts. One of the few things that makes praying look effective.

I disagree. Most of the studies showing that boycotts don't work focus on the effect the boycott has on the company being boycotted: Disney (for example) was such a huge company that the AFA couldn't muster enough clout to force them to change their policies (source).

But there's a secondary effect of boycotts: Boycotts create an opportunity for smaller businesses to find a niche market to appeal to. The Disney boycott didn't change Disney, but it sure changed Big Idea Productions. Their Christian-themed VeggieTales cartoon franchise had been languishing in VHS bins in local movie outlets before the boycott; after the boycott, they successfully pitched a full-length movie and a TV series.

A boycott of businesses that supported Proposition 8 can be a needed boost to smaller progressive, socially-responsible companies during a time when the national economy is weak.

D_Kerry_N_Ashon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I admit I'm very uninformed about this subject, but luckily I live in North Carolina so I don't really have to be too concerned about it right now, but somebody please help me understand... what's the difference between calling it a 'domestic partnership' vs 'same-sex marriage'? Is it only a matter of nomenclature?

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I admit I'm very uninformed about this subject, but luckily I live in North Carolina so I don't really have to be too concerned about it right now, but somebody please help me understand... what's the difference between calling it a 'domestic partnership' vs 'same-sex marriage'? Is it only a matter of nomenclature?

Not just a matter of nomenclature. Marriage is a legal status that confers at least 1,149 specific legal rights to couples, not all of which are covered under 'domestic partnership' laws.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Please forgive my naivete, but why are there people outside of California giving money to end gay marriage? :confused: IMO if they don't get to vote on it, then they don't have a dog in the fight and should butt out. :cool:

I was wondering the same thing. Why are media outlets from the midwest and east coast donating money to the cause?

CALAMBO

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
gay marriage is a tough call to most americans...i would rather see a civil marriage be allowed than a religious marriage be allowed...to co-mingle the marriage with legal/moral issues is where the battle lies...the moral majority in the USA, will never bow to the GAY rights issue...maybe not never but for the next say generation or until the FEDERAL GOV steps in to make it a law of the land...we will never adopt same sex marriage...the boycotts never work...we all need/want food,fuel to think not buying these services will change anything is silly...gay rights will have to come from WASHINGTON...i do not think PRES OBAMA will address this...just my opinion...personally i am for gay rights

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
That's uncalled-for -- here in rural Virginia, for example, we have no choice in who heats our home; there's only one provider to our county. I wouldn't ask anyone to endanger their health for our boycott.

If someone's home is heated by Avista gas, and that's their only provider, I wouldn't judge them for keeping their family warm.

sounds like a monopoly. please excuse me for beign naive, but how is that legal?

Please forgive my naivete, but why are there people outside of California giving money to end gay marriage? IMO if they don't get to vote on it, then they don't have a dog in the fight and should butt out.

I was wondering the same thing. Why are media outlets from the midwest and east coast donating money to the cause?

very good questions. i think it's because religious zealots feel it's their need to force their beliefs down the throats of everyone around them. which is kinda ironic, seeing as how this country was basically founded for escape religious persecution. but, i got something on my side to end their fuckin "oh, separation of church and state isn't explicitly said in the constitution. america was founded on christian values!"

it's called the treaty of tripoli. article 11 of the treaty, first sentence:

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion

oh snap! and this treaty was ratified and signed by john adams, one of our founding fathers!

Now be it known, That I John Adams, President of the United States of America, having seen and considered the said Treaty do, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, accept, ratify, and confirm the same, and every clause and article thereof. And to the End that the said Treaty may be observed, and performed with good Faith on the part of the United States, I have ordered the premises to be made public; And I do hereby enjoin and require all persons bearing office civil or military within the United States, and all other citizens or inhabitants thereof, faithfully to observe and fulfill the said Treaty and every clause and article thereof.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
sounds like a monopoly. please excuse me for beign naive, but how is that legal?

It's a monopoly in the sense that no other businesses have moved into our rural area. For years we only had one grocery store, too.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Diebold! The company that makes almost all the ATM machines and voting machines used in the continental United States. If anyone was looking for a conspiracy theory they should have started there and not with black people.

There's a black unmarked helicopter above your house as you are reading this post.