Propecia

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by B_Hung Muscle, Aug 4, 2006.

1. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

Does anyone here take propecia to fight hair loss? The side effects include a diminished sex drive in 8 percent of the patients. Any experience to relate?

2. fratpack

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hung Muscle, now I'm sure you are not talking about yourself, since I cannot imagine you being diminished in any capacity whether hair loss or sex drive. :cool:

3. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

Frat, you need to stop, because it is impossible for me to have even more of a man-crush on you.

I'm just doing my research before I start popping the pill...

4. fratpack

Gold Member

Albums:
    Aw shucks, now didn't you just go and make my day....right back at ya!

I wish I could offer some info but for a change I come up empty...Good Luck!

5. Thedrewbert

Thedrewbert Member

Albums:
    Hung Muscle. I took propecia for a while and it does help. I noticed a bit of a dip in sex drive for the first two weeks, and then everything went back to normal.

6. skybluedude

skybluedude New Member

I took it for a few months, and didn't notice any difference in sex drive. However, my success with hairgrowth was minimal, too.

7. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

So far, so good. No loss in libido.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

8. Nelly Gay

Nelly Gay New Member

Sadly, both Regaine and Propecia have limited benefits in terms of hair regrowth .
    They are expensive and only work while you continue to use them ....
    A transsexual lady I know still has thinning hair despite massive doses of female hormones and an orchidectomy !

9. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I'd rather be able to get it up and use it if it even if it meant going bald(er).
    I can always wear a wig.:smile:
    Besides, some men look sexy with little or no hair.

10. Nelly Gay

Nelly Gay New Member

Wigs are so much easier !
    Glamorous women like Cher wear them as accessories and to save bother.
    Sadly, men in wigs aren't always "convincing" and are often subject to ridicule ...

11. Nelly Gay

Nelly Gay New Member

Certain drugs can cause hairloss such as testosterone, anti-depressants and steroids.

12. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

:tongue: My hair started turning gray when I was 16. Now it's turning loose. I would rather it didn't, but I'm not going to worry about it. When it thins quite a bit more, I'll just start shaving it.

I haven't researched any of the anti-thinning drugs, and don't have a PDR that's up-to-date, so I can't give any worthwhile advice this time around.

That being said, after hearing the advertising and warnings for some of these drugs, I'm guessing that they are probably some kind of hormone derivative. Women are not even supposed to get near an open bottle (just kidding, but they are warned not to handle the pills at all - I know that's not a problem, dc, just an illustration.) In male pattern baldness, some of the testosterone is converted to DHT, which triggers the hair loss. If the DHT conversion is suppressed, the hair loss is also suppressed. As mentioned above, the renewed hair growth depends upon continued use of the drug - once you stop, the hair falls out again.

13. MattMatt

MattMatt New Member

Albums:
    This is interesting stuff and it made me wonder about something i was told once.
    I worked by this hair for men place and the owner and i had drinks and he was tellin me that the reason why the majority of men lose thier hair is because of the way they wash their hair.

He said as the hairline recedes they keep washing the HAIR instead of the whole scalp, and the folicles get clogged and die.

He said his treatments were pretty much like what women do to keep their facial pores open and clean.

Said that you s hould always rinse out all products well, even the creme rinses, and you should change shampoos every once in a while to a simple baby shampoo to get rid of build up and said that a peppermint conditioner increases blood flow to the skin on the scalp. * shrug*

So.. was this all BS>?>? Was there anything credible to it?

14. D_Sheffield Thongbynder

I heard that same BS, MM, and a dermatologist told me that other than treatments like propecia or hair transplants, baldness will occur according to the genetic timeclock. I started losing mine at forty, with the temples graying. When chemo accelerated the hair loss and graying two years later, I said "fuck it" and started buzzing it. I am happy with my more aerodynamic look (but am even happier with the little time it takes to dry off after a shower). Not much vanity here to motivate me to do otherwise.:wink:

15. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

The "clogged-pore" theory is really just a marketing ploy, used by entrepreneurs who are trying to bump up sales for their product. It sounds kinda plausible, but there is just no truth to it.

The genetic predisposition for male-pattern baldness is an interesting one. It is carried on the X chromosome, but triggered by the Y chromosome. So a man can pass the gene to his daughter, but not to his son. A woman can pass it to her son or daughter, but women cannot develop male-pattern baldness.

16. MattMatt

MattMatt New Member

Albums:
    Interesting stuff. Thanks for clarifying that.

17. jimcord

jimcord Member

Hey there HM,

I have been a fan of propecia for several years here. Clinical research does show that Propecia does grow a clinically significant larger amount of hair than does Rogaine. I work in the pharmaceutical industry and was able to get samples for some time so luckily I still do not have to pay for it. But for you if you are interested, Propecia is the same molecule as Proscar, both made by Merck. Get your doctor to write you a prescription for lowest strength Proscar and split the pills with a splitter. Insurance likes Proscar because in that version, it is a cardiovascular medication were as Propecia is a life style cosmetic medication and not covered usually by insurance even though they are the same molecule. One word of caution if you switch to Proscar, the medication as either Propecia or Proscar can and is harmful to male fetuses (word to readers, please no rude comments, this fact is not a joke!) and can be absorbed through the skin, therefore if you have a woman in your life, she should NOT be handling broken tablets, this is why it has a protective layer around the outside of the tablet. If medication is only handles by yourself or men, then no problem. As for sex drive issues, none here, no erection issues nor a decrease in cum volume. wish you the best of luck, email me and let me know how you are doing on it, also for what it is worth, remember hair growth takes awhile so results may be slow to see, if you stop taking Propecia, the hair that it stimulated to grow will probably leave after 6 months of now usage so this is a long term medication.

18. jimcord

jimcord Member

After reading this, it looks like a darned infomecial. That was not my intent. I truly do not work or sell Propecia for Merck. I do work as a pharm rep though but for another company. My post was only to share my thoughts and experiences of a product that I do take and to offer a way to save some cash using the Proscar version instead of the other. It's just that insurance does not tend to cover what they consider to be cosmetic or not life-threatening. No promotion was intended.

19. doghorn

doghorn New Member

You should definitely NOT run any Proscar prescription through your insurance unless you have a medical reason for it. Insurance doesn't cover cosmetic medication. If you did this and then had a truly big claim, they could use this as an excuse to deny coverage. They put investigators on every big claim, with the sole purpose of discovering whether they have a way to get out of it. Lying on your application is the prime reason they use. The claimant gets a check back for his or her premiums, and the contract is rescinded (made as if it never happened).

I can't say for sure whether they can or can't rescind a contract for running non-covered medications through their payment system, but if there's any way they can, they will do so. They are in business to do exactly this. Not to pay for your medical costs, not to protect people, but solely to make as much profit as they can.

Never, never lie to an insurance company. You might as well be throwing the premiums away.

20. D_Harvey Schmeckel

D_Harvey Schmeckel New Member

Hey, I took it for 2-3 years and got excellent results with hair. But when extra strength Rogaine came out I decided to try it instead and have been satisfied for several years. The problem with Propecia wasn't loss of desire but loss of juice. I could really tell a difference in how much and how far I was cumming.

Draft saved Draft deleted