Proposal for museum honoring gays in military

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by MisterMark, Sep 9, 2005.

1. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    (09-08) 20:40 PDT San Francisco (AP) --

After city officials rejected a plan to bring the USS Iowa to San Francisco earlier this year, supporters of the idea have come up with a new plan that they hope will convince leaders to welcome the historic battleship here.

Supporters say a proposal to turn part of the vessel into a museum honoring the contributions of gays, lesbians, ethnic minorities and women to the military should help sway the Board of Supervisors' decision.

More: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n...y&sn=009&sc=452

2. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    the Iowa class battleships are pretty amazing vessels and I think preserving them as exhibitions or even walk-in museums is a great idea (although as far as I know, USS Missouri is still technically in reserve). I don't like the apparent political motivation behind this particular proposal, though - we should be concentrating on breaking up these traditional prejudices WITHIN the armed forces, not saying "it's too bad, but here's a nifty exhibit for civilians." as I've described at length when the subject's been raised before, sexuality should not be an influence or consideration in any form within the military - displaying one's own sexuality, or making a big deal about other people's, should both be equally unacceptable for personnel on duty. I just don't see how a museum highlighting sexuality in the context of military service is gonna do anyone any favors in that regard.

3. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

A museum honoring the contributions of gays, lesbians, ethnic minorities and women to the military? Why is it that I don't see that happening?

4. jonb

Gold Member

And it's funny because the Army at least is like 40% black. A lot of Indians prefer Marines.

5. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

And how can we honor them as long as we have "don't ask, don't tell" policies in place? How can I be honored for my contributions as a gay man/woman if I am not allowed to BE a gay man/woman?

6. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    "don't ask, don't tell" is stupid puerile shit that should not be necessary in the first place. the problem is the self-destructive military tradition of anti-gay, anti-female prejudice - not the fact that there are women and homosexuals in the military. until the military authorities switch their focus from the latter to the former, no amount of museums or media discussion will help address the problem.

well, you can't and you shouldn't, any more than straight personnel should be honored for their contributions as straight men and women. the only things they should be honored for are their contributions as servicemen and -women. when you're on duty, you're a soldier, not a social entity - there is no aspect of a professional soldier's duty that has anything to do with sex or sexuality, or even gender.

7. jay_too

jay_too New Member

Axex..

Well said.

8. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

The part about lumping all of these minority groups together into one memorial seems kind of silly and pandering to me. I'm guessing that the gay soldiers are the only ones that are lacking in the memorial department. By including the others they're hoping to get the other identity politics activists to back it, and diluting the meaning in the process.

How about a separate gay soldiers' memorial for its own sake? That seems like something that San Francisco, of all places, would pass on its own merits.

9. madame_zora

Gold Member

Well, I'm not sure. Because people in general are exceptionally stupid, it might actually serve a purpose. If the general population would see the contributions of gays and minorities in a positive light, they might actually begin to understand that they really do contribute to the lives of others. Look at how our society operates- we take the words of actors and musicians more seriously than politicains (sometimes for very good reason). "Popularising" an issue may actually draw it into the foregroud for discussion and draw the very slow ones in the class into a better understanding. While I agree with everyone who's posted that it shouldn't be necessary, I have to acknowledge that black issues became more widely accepted when we began seeing more black actors in movies and on tv. I think we're making that leap with gays now, perhaps a thing like this might work for our fast-food society. I think if anyplace could pull it off, it would be San Fran.

10. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

A museum for ME??? Woo hoo!

Axxex, there are lots of other memorials dedicated to a specific group within the military. The first one that comes to mind is right here in my area. The first thing you see as you come in the main entrance of Arlington National Cemetary is the Womens Memorial. It is an incredibly moving tribute.

Many other "subset" groups have been honored. Although I'm not sure this memorial is the right time or place, I see absolutely nothing wrong with something to specifically honor us non-hetero veterans. I did put my life on the line for the rest of my countrymen, and still had to do it under less than equal footing. For that matter, gay and lesbian servicemembers generally feel "compelled to excel", and tend to make better soldiers, sailors, and marines. Personally, from the day I enlisted until I received my Honorable Discharge 6 years later, I felt I had to be at the top in my MOS, in physical training, every aspect of military life I had to be the best - to prove it to myself and to everyone around me, even though I was (obviously) not out.

11. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

It'll be just another boring military exhibition unless they get original and have it outfitted and decorated by the Queer Eye guys.

12. madame_zora

Gold Member

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I love those guys! I don't know many gay men in real life who are that flambouyant, but I think they are great.

On a more serious note, it would be good to have just another boring military exhibit that honours the input of a group that is not supposed to exist, so people can begin to see that they really are no different and can support their country as citizens just like anyone else.

13. KinkGuy

Gold Member

And the flip side? Great Britain just (or is about to) institute married housing for their fags in the service who are registered as partners with the Government. The Israeli military has fully accepted queers for about 20 years.

Welcome to the U.S.
    Welcome to 1954.

Draft saved Draft deleted