Proposal to put Reagan on $50 Bill

Nova9

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
While i am not condoning putting Reagan on the $50 bill, it should be noted that many of the folks on U.S. currency supported things far worse than Reagan.

Andrew Jackson, is on the $20...he advocated slavery and indian removal...

You do realize that there was a time in this country when the only good Indian was a dead Indian.

You cannot judge the past in terms of the present.

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You do realize that there was a time in this country when the only good Indian was a dead Indian.

Dude...no. Jackson attempted to remove the Cherokee from their home in Georgia, and the Cherokee didn't respond violently; they sued. They got all the way to the Supreme Court, and the Supreme Court ruled in their favor. Then, in typical Jacksonian dickishness he basically said, "Fine, enforce your ruling, assholes!" What ensued was the Cherokee Trail of Tears, in which 13,000 Cherokees were forced, in winter, to march from Georgia to the Indian Territory (present-day Oklahoma), and 4,000 Cherokees died.

What US government did to many Indian tribes is absolutely abhorrent, and any attempted defense of it only shows your lack of knowledge of historical context.

Nova9

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What US government did to many Indian tribes is absolutely abhorrent, and any attempted defense of it only shows your lack of knowledge of historical context.

You think the US government is horrible?? You sound like you're the one that needs the history lesson.

Here, I'll even help you... Type these names into google and/or Wikipedia and then get back to us on how bad the US Government is...

Josef Mengele
Joseph Stalin
Pol Pot
Vlad III, Prince of Wallachia (better known as "Vlad the Impaler"
Saddam Hussein
Maximilien Robespierre
Idi Amin Dada
Emperor Hirohito of Japan
Leopold II of Belgium
Ruhollah Khomeini
Attila The Hun

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You think the US government is horrible?? You sound like you're the one that needs the history lesson. Here, I'll even help you... Type these names into google and/or Wikipedia and then get back to us on how bad the US Government is...

Josef Mengele
Joseph Stalin
Pol Pot
Saddam Hussein
Maximilien Robespierre
Idi Amin Dada
Leopold II of Belgium
Ruhollah Khomeini
Attila The Hun

All of them ineligible to be on US currency for OBVIOUS reasons.
But I must admit, a fine attempt to duck & cover. :rolleyes:

Zeuhl34 is correct on his assessment regarding our country and its treatment of the Native Indians. That doesn't mean that our government is the worst on the planet, nor does anyone need to try and source Casey Kasem's Top 20 World's Worst Leaders list in order to try and make ours look better. It only means that our government isn't perfect, and in this particular sense they really screwed up.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
You think the US government is horrible?? You sound like you're the one that needs the history lesson.

Here, I'll even help you... Type these names into google and/or Wikipedia and then get back to us on how bad the US Government is...

Josef Mengele
Joseph Stalin
Pol Pot
Saddam Hussein
Maximilien Robespierre
Idi Amin Dada
Leopold II of Belgium
Ruhollah Khomeini
Attila The Hun
Wow. Way to divert the argument into crazy irrelevant territory. Nice try. Not!

Using your 'logic' I guess we should pardon Charles Manson cause Jeffery Dahmer was worse.
After all, good ol' Chuck didn't actually kill anybody. Or eat them.

Last edited:

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media

I have to say, that is one of the dumbest comments I have ever read on any of these boards, and there have been some whoppers. Zuehl is the school on this one dude.

Trail of Tears - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Private John G. Burnett later wrote "Future generations will read and condemn the act and I do hope posterity will remember that private soldiers like myself, and like the four Cherokees who were forced by General Scott to shoot an Indian Chief and his children, had to execute the orders of our superiors. We had no choice in the matter."

finsuptx

Expert Member
Media
The level of ignorance regarding history is astounding! The sadder commentary is that this is the level of ignorance that exists BEFORE Texas rewrites history (even for much of the rest of the nation).

There was a time when most people in this fledgling nation hated indians and the answer at the time was to slaughter them. It's abhorrent, but a part of history, none-the-less.

There was a time Americans hated the Japanese, and even "Japs" as they were commonly called that were born in America were interred in prison camps. This too was abhorrent, but it really did happen that way.

There is, right now, at the bare minimum, a distrust of Muslims (and Muslim Americans). My hope is that it won't take generations (like with Japan) to figure out how to live/let live and work together.