Proposed British Summer Time move - another European conspiracy?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_crackoff, Feb 20, 2011.

1. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

Let's just float this out there.

Germany, Austria, Poland, & all the Nordic, & Baltic states share very similar sunrise/sunset times to London, & the rest of the UK - i.e, the sun has generally set by 4pm in the month of December.

However, the UK is the only country which is considering moving its time forward by an hour.

Almost all the blurb that accompanies this move highlights lives being saved as children go home, when it's pretty clear that they're probably just trying to harmonise to a European standard time.

They also claim it will give us longer sunnier (hahaha - it's the UK) nights.

The key criticisms I have are:

1/ More people will die, especially children, in the pitch black rush hour in winter (the sun won't rise till about 9am - nearly 10am in Scotland). All schools finish at least an hour before the evening rush hour anyway. Couldn't they change the start, & end of the school day, or even the school year?

2/ Employees will now be travelling to & from work in the dark (sunrise 9am, sunset 5pm), & ay not see any daylight.

3/ This itself will cause health problems through vitamin D deficiency, & an increase of SAD, & therefore more people topping themselves.

4/ Have you ever tried getting kids to bed when it's sunny outside?

5/ Why aren't Germany, & all the rest, hell even Hungary, changing their times too, if it's all about saving lives, & the wonders of a summer night in a country where most people are in bed before 11?

6/ Sunrise & sunset are geographically fixed. Noon is on average at 12pm - it can't be helped. If they move time forward an hour, it will somedays be at around 2.30pm - which will be the new time for the midday sun in summer.

7/ All times zones are based from GMT - it's a bit of a loss of face, & a slap in the chin for science.

8/ Guess what - they'll still jump another hour for summer, despite there being absolutely no need to, to save all the extra deaths they allege occur in winter. So the UK would be on GMT +2!

9/ More youth crime & binge drinking, & fooling around,& all the social issues that go with this, in these hazy, lazy summer daytime extensions till 11.10pm in some parts of the UK.

10/ It's just a barely concealed pro-Europe measure, designed to put us on the same time as most, but not all of the other countries in Europe, hatched & conceived by some lazy bastards who don't like getting out of bed early enough to catch a business flight to the continent, or arrange early morning childcare for their brats!:smile:

#1 B_crackoff, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  2. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Wasn't the old system for the benefit of farmers and the Jocks?

China works on one time zone, other big places work on several. I always wonder how people find that.

3. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Can I gripe about BP, the Raj, weird Britishish people, or Wimpy Burgers in this thread?

4. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Please go ahead. I have to be honest and say that I don't like any big chain burgers, but Wimpy are just awful. Burger King seem to be trying their best to be as bad. I remember having a Wendy's in Boston that I quite liked, but then I had the mother of all hangovers.

Just leave her Maj alone if you know what's good for you. :wink:

5. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Whatever. I'm saving up for some really awful Middleton bashing.*

* Not really, as I fancy her beyond all logic. I'll go after Harry then!

6. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I think her look is dull, though she has a certain sparkle that suggests she enjoys a right royal rogering. Are you a royal rogerer, ST?

Then I thought Diana was far far worse.

7. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, I was quite fond of Diana. Especially after I realized how much Royal bullshit she had to put up with, all for the fact she was so infinitely more charming and classy than Charles. Nothing like petty politics on the grandest tabloid stage to illucidate the real bull puckey. But what do I know? Just a stupid Yank, here.

Nevertheless, I can see from an ocean away that Kate wants a right rogering, and now. Happy to provide! But I'm sure I'm well back in the queue. I'm sure.

8. Drifterwood

Gold Member

It is interestimg whether you can have an opinion that is not dependent upon being relative, especially given her position. I try to in Diana's case and I found her vapid. Still, if leggy blondes with big tits are your thing...........

The thing always was, how could Chucky not love her? Well, other people's fantasies don't make for a personally fulfilling reality.

9. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wasn't a big Di fan meself. She seemed a bit self-serving and manipulative. Altho - it's since emerged she had an awful lot to put up with, and kinda went through the mill. She was genuinely kind to (some) ppl - the ones she visited.

Middleton for new Princess of Wales (that already live here)?

Not bothered about the time shift - altho I don't think it's particularly sensible, or workable.

10. Jason

Gold Member

Actually I think we should put our clocks forward an hour - or perhaps just leave them on BST throughout the year.

We're stuck with just eight hours of daylight in December. But there is plenty of evidence out there that we are better able to cope with dark in the mornings (when we are fresh) rather than in the evening (when we are tired) and that moving the clocks forward should save lives. It will also mean that for most of the year those working 9-5 will see at least a glimpse of daylight out of working hours.

That this brings us into line with most of the EU is just a coincidence. Even I can't really suggest we should move our clocks forward 1hr 15 mins just to assert our independence.

11. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

Jason, can you show me this evidence. As far as I know, kids are dopey as shit walking to school in the morning, & so are most drivers!

If lives are truly going to be saved, then why don't the other 9 or 10 EU countries that are affected with dark before 4pm, with a combined population triple that of the UK, put their clocks forward an hour, eh?:wink: I think the Germans have the edge on us in efficiency, & if they think it's stupid...

It's a ruse, we're being traduced. It's cod science. The key point is that they'll still put the clocks a further hour forward in March in the UK, when there is no need. Daylight till after 11 in the UK! How will people go to sleep? Shall I stock up on blackout curtains?

Having once spent 6 months getting up at stupid o'clock & driving 60 miles to work in the dark, with fog not evaporating, & occassional cow dodging, I can tell you IT REALLY SUCKS, & is infinitely more stressful in the morning than the evening.

There will be NO daylight for those working 9-5 or later, compared to an hours morning sun now.

As for the extra hour of sun in the summer, I'd advise you to visit the estates in Catford, or Glasgow to see just how much mayhem occurs even now on long summer nights! Another hour will just see more social problems.

I hope the parents of the first kid killed sue the ass off all the supporters of this bill!

BTW, Dw & ST, why not compromise & have both Diana & Kate together. A slim brunette, & a busty blonde seems like a perfect party.:wink:

#11 B_crackoff, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  12. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    lol

13. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Come come, Jase. Surely you realise we need the 15 minutes for the statutory extra tea break.

14. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Only if you don't mind the fact that one has been long dead. Not to mention that you would be having Will Carling seconds. I am not sure which is worse.

15. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Me, I always got a ride to school so as to be there on time and had to walk home in the dark. I think generally people hang about after school...in the dark, whereas they go straight there in the mornings. The evening is when you have time to be out. As the man said, not just kids but everyone. I though it pretty annoying to move the clocks in the autumn so I was then hoppipng about this unmade road we used to walk through...in the dark...and dont really see any reason for moving clocks at all. British summer time permanently would be better.

Because they live in a different time zone and anyway are already an hour different?

Quite. go one hour forward and stop this stupid shifting.

Most people dont seem to agree

So should the ones being killed now sue the opponents?

16. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

Erm..are you serious:rolleyes:? It's dark before 4pm local time in December in those countries - if there was any carbon footprint benefit, road safety benefit, or anything else - why aren't they discussing changing their time?

It would already have become an EU edict if it were a scientific issue at all!.

There aren't any kids normally being killed leaving school in the rush hour dark - they've all gone home by then. Most schools break up between 3 & 3.40pm, when the sun hasn't set, well before the 5pm rush hour.

There is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that humans are brighter in the morning - if they wake up & it's dark, & go to work when it's dark.

NONE!

Exactly how many parents will be chuffed at little Jonny & Mohammed venturing out at rush hour in the pitch black?

I predict more carbon emissions & traffic jams, as parents try to secure their little 'uns safety by driving them to school, & an increase in deaths of cyclists, both pupils & workers, mown down in the dark by tired drivers who never saw them coming.

17. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    If it comes to that, how many are walking anywhere nowadays. The increasingly few kids getting the exercise of walking or cycling to school is another issue which it has been said is killing people. (or will as they get older and more obese).

18. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

Don't worry, we'll soon have food shortages, food inflation, & petrol shortages/inflation.

We'll all be skinnier things getting run over in the dark by those who have to travel to work by car (not half a mile to school), & probably by cyclists too.:cool:

19. D_Phallus P Phyllum

D_Phallus P Phyllum New Member

I hadn't heard of this proposition to put the clocks back an hour.

It seems totally absurd to me.

I'm spreading the information around - as well as your 10 points - to raise awareness and get it stopped!

I'm really annnoyed about this.

20. Jason

Gold Member

The idea is that they go forward, not back!

However it seems that the devolved parliament and assemblies will have a veto and that Scotland is most likely to veto.

Draft saved Draft deleted