Prostate Cancer Treatment May Shrink Penis.... A Lot!

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Men who receive combination treatment with hormone therapy plus radiation for local or locally advanced prostate cancer may experience a significant reduction in penile length, according to a report in the January issue of the Journal of Urology.

There has been anecdotal evidence that radiation therapy can reduce penile length but, to the authors' knowledge, the present study is the first to determine if penile length changes following combination treatment with hormone therapy plus radiation.

Dr. Ahmet Haliloglu and colleagues at the University of Ankara in Turkey enrolled 47 men with local or locally advanced prostate cancer. The patients, who were followed from 2000 to 2005, received leuprolide or goserelin injections every 3 months, for a total of three doses. At month 7, radiotherapy, using a 70-Gy dose, was initiated and continued for 7 weeks.

Just before treatment began, the average stretched penile length was 5.6 inches. Eighteen months later, the average penile length had shortened significantly to 3.4 inches.

Erectile function was also adversely affected by treatment. Roughly 23 percent of men had normal erectile function before therapy. Eighteen months later, 12.5 percent were able to have an erection that was suitable for intercourse.

"Quality of life concerns are important when considering treatment options for prostate cancer," the investigators conclude. Before starting combination hormone and radiation therapy, the patient should be told that "penile shortening may occur."

Source:Journal of Urology, January 2007

Lowhangersau

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I had a radical prostatectomy and my dick is much shorter. I think it may be due to the cutting and rejoining of the euretha. I hadn't heard of this effect on those undergoing radiation treatment.
No one discusses this problem prior to treatment. They seem to focus on erectile disfunction.
PS Had a very well hung friend who had the same procedure and his length is also less !

bendigoboi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
The problem is the alternative.

My dad's prostate cancer went undetected until it had spread to his bones.

The hormone treatment to slow it has stopped working, his pain medication has been increased, and it has been suggested that he should get his affairs in order.....

cachondo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I can speak from experience having had the surgery in 2002. It was that or be dead in 8 months (I had a fast-growing type---5%). Yes, it is much shorter, much less in girth and had I not had an implant, it would be useless. Young men, check your PSA every year after you are 40 or 45. I missed ONE year (2001) and look what happened. I look at this site to see what used to be and it is very frustrating...the alternative (death) is worse, I suppose, but I would rather be like I used to be.