Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Hey guys. I'm 47 and found out on Thursday I have prostate cancer. Started with being checked several years ago for an enlarged prostate causing difficulty urinating. PSA number was good, so I was just put on Flomax and the symptoms quickly went away. PSA stayed at a normal number until earlier this month when my PSA spiked from 2.2 to 7.68. Was referred to a Urologist who did a biopsy and got my results. All of the positive biopsies were on the right side and I have a Gleason score of 6.

I'd like to hear from others who have had the same diagnosis and what option they chose and the pros/cons of your decision. Right now, I'm looking at Active Surveillance, Robotic Removal of the Prostate, Radiation, Cyberknife.
Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

lgtrmusr

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
First - I'm with you. The news is a blow and you may feel a little helpless. Good news is, prostate cancer is very survivable. I've been there, and done that. Over 6 years post op and no recurrence so far. Feel free to contact me personally.

My story (brief version). When my prostate cancer was diagnosed my PSA was about 30, 6 positive cores, Gleason 7 (upgraded to 8 at surgery). Active surveillance was not recommended by my team because of the aggressive nature of the cancer on the biopsy. Robotic removal, radiation and hormones were offered. In selecting among the first two, my sense was that the side effects of surgery and radiation were similar five years out, but in the opposite order of appearance. If impotence or incontinence were to follow surgery, the appearance would be immediate and some restoration was typical. With radiation, I understood these side-effects to gradually appear and increase in importance over time. I wanted to avoid hormone treatment and loss of libido if possible

My surgery was done by very well regarded experts. My prostate was huge (the reason for the high PSA), and probably made removal more difficult. I ended up with both incontinence and total impotence. Over the past 5 years, with some surgical assistance the incontinence is essentially gone and, with other surgical/technological help, I've got a cock that is rock hard and able to perform very well whenever I want.

Everyone's story is a bit different. Everyone has an opinion. Many have recommendations. Ask for data. Ask for frequency of success, frequency of side effects, and how these are approached. There are no guarantees. I was unlucky in the side effects and very luck with the treatment teams who have done very well by me. I'd be happy to respond to other questions. And there are support groups where you can hear the stories of and ask questions of many other men who are, or have recently been, in your position. As with LPSG, you are not alone.

cincinnatus1951

Sexy Member
Media
Large: Been there done that. Post prostate, had all the ED therapies followed by an implant which solved the problem very well. You are right wanting to do research on cancer treatment. There are two experts who have written extensively. one is Scardino and the other is Walsh. Do a search. Get their latest books, they have been in print for a long time, so get a latest edition. Otherwise, there is too much info for a post reply. if you are interested, send me a PM. I'll send a phone number and we can talk. I had robotic assisted protatectomy. The only other option I considered was radiation. The other "local" therapies are suspect in my mind because it is so difficult to really locate the tumor.

Reactions: large1988

pcadvocate

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm sorry to read this and the fact you're so young at 47; at one time the average age for men being diagnosed was about 67-68. Do research. Will send you a PM.

Reactions: large1988

MisterB

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
First, I am sorry to hear your news. As others have stated, prostrate cancer is very treatable if caught early, which it sounds like in your case.

Like you,my husband was diagnosed through prostate biopsy in 1995; he was 57. Based on research available at that time, he chose radiation. Fast forward to today; he's 79, sees cancer doc every six months for bloodwork/tests and physical exam. PSA slightly elevated from 22 years ago after radiation, but doctor is not concerned.

He tolerated the radiation quite well all-in-all. Everything still works!

As I said earlier today in another thread, if you need to vent, "We're listening". I wish you well.

fullpak

Legendary Member
Media
Syracuse, New York, United States of America
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Sorry to hear that you have this to look forward to right now. Was 57 when i was diagnosed and because of family history was more inclined to have the robotic sugery by esteemed surgeon. Had temporary incontinence post surgery, and am not as lucky as some as far as the rock hard experience. Just remember you shorten the urethra, so shorten the hard on too. Enjoy amazing orgasms without ejaculate. Definately miss the cum!
There are tests to indicate how agressive the cancer is now. Some insurances pay. If it is not agressive form, wait and see is an approach, if symptoms are manageable. If aggresive, definately robotic surgery.
PM if you want more comments.

gaygent

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am now 72 years of age. 5 years ago I had a Trans Urethral Resection of the Prostate (TURP) procedure to rectify a slow urine flow. Analysis of the bits taken away showed minor traces of a benign cancer. I was put on watchful alert and 4.5 years later my PSA levels were rising so I had an MRI scan, a template biopsy and bone scans. It was diagnosed that the cancer had returned in a more aggressive form and I was advised that treatment was necessary. I was offered the choice of Radio-therapy with Hormone therapy or Radical Removal. The hospital gave me lots of information and I chose to take the Robot Assisted Keyhole Surgery (radical removal). I had the operation 2.5 weeks ago and had a few rough days initially, but now I feel much better in myself though there is some initial incontinence.

I chose this particular option as Radio-therapy involved treatment for 5 days every week for up to 8 weeks and the accompanying Hormone therapy (the injection of female hormones) would go on for about 3 years. There is a risk of men feeling menopausal for the period of time hormone treatment is being administered but more importantly for me was the advice that if the cancer was to return after radio-therapy, then it would be impossible to remove the prostate as it would have been damaged by the treatments applied.

My father died at the age I am now from prostate cancer so I feel very lucky to have had the diagnosis and treatment. But it should also be noted that the maximum PSA score I achieved was only 6.5. A raised PSA level only identifies that there is some activity in the prostate (cancer is only one outcome) and men can have very high scores without having cancer. Infections are the biggest cause of high PSA scores.

I would urge all men to act responsibly and to seek the advice of their doctor if they have a history of prostate cancer in the family or have problems with passing urine. Left too late prostate cancer can kill but found early enough it can be treated.

lgtrmusr

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I am now 72 years of age. 5 years ago I had a Trans Urethral Resection of the Prostate (TURP) procedure to rectify a slow urine flow. Analysis of the bits taken away showed minor traces of a benign cancer. I was put on watchful alert and 4.5 years later my PSA levels were rising so I had an MRI scan, a template biopsy and bone scans. It was diagnosed that the cancer had returned in a more aggressive form and I was advised that treatment was necessary. I was offered the choice of Radio-therapy with Hormone therapy or Radical Removal. The hospital gave me lots of information and I chose to take the Robot Assisted Keyhole Surgery (radical removal). I had the operation 2.5 weeks ago and had a few rough days initially, but now I feel much better in myself though there is some initial incontinence.

I chose this particular option as Radio-therapy involved treatment for 5 days every week for up to 8 weeks and the accompanying Hormone therapy (the injection of female hormones) would go on for about 3 years. There is a risk of men feeling menopausal for the period of time hormone treatment is being administered but more importantly for me was the advice that if the cancer was to return after radio-therapy, then it would be impossible to remove the prostate as it would have been damaged by the treatments applied.

My father died at the age I am now from prostate cancer so I feel very lucky to have had the diagnosis and treatment. But it should also be noted that the maximum PSA score I achieved was only 6.5. A raised PSA level only identifies that there is some activity in the prostate (cancer is only one outcome) and men can have very high scores without having cancer. Infections are the biggest cause of high PSA scores.

I would urge all men to act responsibly and to seek the advice of their doctor if they have a history of prostate cancer in the family or have problems with passing urine. Left too late prostate cancer can kill but found early enough it can be treated.

@gaygent - best wishes for your speedy and complete recovery. Big decisions there. Prostate cancer is definitely treatable, even curable, but does require some attention. Keep us posted on your progress.

Reactions: lapdog2001

gaygent

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks guys. Just have to get over the leakage of pee, which I am told could take at least 3 weeks and then I should be on the way to a more prostate cancer free life. Thanks again.

pcadvocate

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
best wishes for anyone going through prostate cancer and its aftermath; dealing with everything can be draining physically and emotionally for the guy going through it and the people around him trying to figure out what to do, say, or how to support -

Reactions: lapdog2001

pants73

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am really sorry to hear that. I feel for you. On these days prostate cancer can be cured especially if found on early stages. Keep yourself positive and let us know how is going. I wish you for now all the best mate.

I wrote about my prostate cancer operation here 2.5 weeks after the surgery. When I visited the consultant for a follow up appointment he told me the cancer had taken over the whole of the prostate and had broken through in one area. This raised my Gleason score to 9 (the maximum for prostate cancer is 10). As a result he also took away 36 lymph nodes as this is one of the main areas to which prostate cancer can spread and raises the possibility of Lymphoma. Fortunately they were all cancer free when examined later in the laboratory. It has taken me 4 months to gain full control of my urine continence but apart from an occasional few drops when I sneeze or more importantly, fart, I got there.

I have further appointments for sexual function and blood tests to check on the possible spread of the cancer and am told that it is common for men with a Gleason score of more than 8 to need some additional radiotherapy but I am getting on with my life and will worry about any further treatments if they are deemed necessary.

Health wise I feel better than I have for a long time and although I have a small uncertainty about my cancer having spread I take every day as it comes. I write this update hopefully to reassure anyone else going through the trauma of diagnosis and treatment that you can come through it and that modern surgery and health care treatments are improving all the time. More importantly that there is the opportunity for a good life afterwards.

Good luck to anyone who is in this situation right now.