Prostate exams, cancer, etc...

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by Chuck64, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Chuck64

Gold Member

Normally, I would ask my doctor but ever since I insisted on getting tested for STDs on a regular basis, she gets a little nervous around me - avoiding me at church (when I go) and the grocery store and what not. Ah, the joys of HMO insurance and small town America.

There's a significant amount of cancer in my family history - both men and women. The women in my family are very well informed about what needs to be checked, how often and at what age to start, but the men don't talk about anything. Ever. Not even when I ask - which makes me think they don't know.

Do any of you guys know the schedule for the different types of check-ups? Do you have a good internet source I could check out?

2. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Hey, Chuck! As far as prostate health goes, you should get a baseline PSA, and probably get that checked again every 5 years or so until around age 40. After 40, the PSA should be done more often, every couple of years or so - or with your family history, perhaps yearly. The digital rectal exam should be done anually, preferably by the same doctor each time. The PSA is a simple blood test for a specific antigen that usually shows up as a prostate cancer metabolite. The digital rectal exam, though a bit humiliating, should not be painful at all.

I can't really help you with any other information on regular checkups for other cancers. You can self-exam your testicles (as often as you like!!!) just by gently feeling all the way around each one, noting any bumps that are a normal part of your design. Then after you are familiar with yourself, you can feel anything ABNORMAL that develops.

Do a google search for whichever cancer concerns you, and you will find a wealth of information. Best of luck, and good health to you!

3. Chuck64

Gold Member

Thanks.

4. davidjh7

Gold Member

Here is one of the horse's mouth links.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp

From here you should be able to find links and info. I work in the cancer field, and like you, have lots of cancer in my family history. I can tell you for sure, THE most important part is early diagnosis. except for some types of cancer that spread (metastisis) through the body very quickly, if a tumor is localized, with some of the advances made in the last few years it likely CAN be treated. The key to a tumor being localized, is early detection. You are very smart to take your risks seriously, and get tested regularly and early. If your doctor has a problem with you, and your HMO won't let you switch, then tell her point blank her discomfort is HER problem, and you expect her to be a professional. If she is a prude and doesn;t want to deal with you outside the office, fine--she is being a jerk, and you don;t want her as a friend anyway. Doctor's know alot, but usually are very narroly focused within their field. It is YOUR body, YOUR health and YOU are the one responsible and in charge of it. I have seen thousands of cancer patients on sometimes a daily basis, and watched some get better, and too many get worse. I can tell you for sure, attitude, and taking charge of your own life, as you are doing, has at least as much affect as any treatments. Do NOT be passive when it comes to your health--the price you pay for passivity here is far too high.

5. Pappy

Pappy Member

After 50 have your PSA checked every 6 months, have the digital rectal exam annually. Have your stool checked for blood annually. Check your scrotum daily for knots and/or lumps. Anything new should be reported to your doctor.

6. nouveau

nouveau New Member

Albums:
Draft saved Draft deleted