Protecting Your Kids

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Spladle, Apr 13, 2006.

1. B_Spladle

B_Spladle New Member

2. madame_zora

Gold Member

That is truly creepy. Hard to believe we're so callous that we'd ignore the cries of a screaming child. What sheep Americans have become.

Notice who steps up?

3. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    eh, i dunno that it's surprising. it DOES look just like a kid misbehaving. if you see a kid screaming in the street with an adult dragging/walloping it, that's always gonna be the assumption.

4. madame_zora

Gold Member

But repeating "You're not my Dad, you're not my Dad"?

5. bigschlotsky

bigschlotsky New Member

I'm with you on how disturbing that is. But I'm always suspicious when I hear things like what sheep Americans HAVE BECOME. Or, things are so _____ THESE DAYS. There's the implicit assumption that Americans were more conscientious in an earlier time, which I don't buy. If anything I think we're MORE vigilant about protecting children now than in the past. Think about how long we went as a species before giving a damn about child physical and sexual abuse. Or spousal abuse. Things are better now. Overall we've BECOME closer to what we should be. But it is human nature to glorify the past and villify the present. We get nostalgiac because we're scared of the unknown and looking at the past we know how things turned out. It's not unknown. But we tend to romanticise it and forget the many, many ways things are better now. For children, for women, for people of color, for everyone but wild animals......

6. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

As the SAS recommend. Shout "BOMB!" and make the issue that the man is a suicide attacker.

That'll get some action going.

7. Dr Rock

Gold Member

doesn't mean much considering a large proportion of "family" arrangements involve only one biological parent.

8. madame_zora

Gold Member

Ah, I get it now. Someone could have though the kid was saying "You're not the boss of MEEEEEEE."

Still, not to flinch when he grabbed her that hard. I have certainly intervened for less. Of course, we all know how scary I am. :rambo:

9. solong

solong New Member

I understand Schlotsky, that you are sure that people today are no different than they always have been, and in one sense you are absolutely correct. But in a different sense, you are 200% wrong. let me explain:

There have always been the lowest of the low out there. And in earlier times, our attention was always paid to them with incredulity. "How could anybody even imagine to do something like that??" And we were dumbfounded.

But then, they were the exception. Also, our politicians were mostly genuine, better people than the average citizen, and far more trustworthy, too. I knew some, personally. Today, I am happy if I can get as far away from jackasses like Ted Kennedy and John McCain as I possibly can! Nancy Pelosi is a sickeningly ignorant syncophant. And the average grade schooler and high schooler is so selfish and self-absorbed compared to the kids I grew up with that there's no comparison. And yet, there's always the exception back then. So today, you kids are comparing our one in ten-thousand to your one-in-ten, and telling us there's no difference.

Maybe you should be doing less broadcasting, and more tuning in?

I suggest that you first admit that you haven't really lived all that long to make a wise comparison. Then why not phrase it like a question instead of the definitive answer, and then possibly, wait for somebody whose seen both generations to verify your suspicions-- or not.

Just a suggestion for what it's worth. But I appreciate the opportunity to mention this.

10. steve2727

steve2727 Member

Albums:
    I agree, to me this did look to me for all the world like a kid playing up at their stepdad. I have a friend who is in a relationship with a women who has kids by another man, so I know how hard it can be to try and impose some discipline when the kid can always play the 'You're not my dad!' card. Fortunately the natural father is responsible and a bit of a hardass when it comes to discipline and is on good terms with my friend, so he can just say 'No I'm not, let's phone your dad and see what he thinks', usually works a treat. But I can imagine if this wasn't the case it would be a nightmare.

Still I think in this case I would have said something, I've stopped grown men fighting in the streets a few times before now simply by walking up and saying something like 'what's going on?' or 'is everything ok?'. The calm voice of reason from a stranger can work wonders to make people realise just how out of hand a situation is getting. And of course it would quickly become apparent if it was a genuine kidnap attempt or not if someone intervened.

11. Dr Rock

Gold Member

man, i'd totally kick your ass if you did that to me

12. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

You, Steve, in the ring. NOW!

*Nude of course and only on PPV.*

13. dong20

Gold Member

I've been on the receiving end of this ripost once or twice from some brat who didn't get what they wanted, I expected to be rugby tackled to the floor at any moment but it didn't happen so I echo others that on its own it counts for nothing.

I don't think that these things happen significantly more today, I do think we are just more willing to recognise them for what they are, and that must be a good thing. Whether we are actually more willing as individuals to take action when we see something we deem suspicious, well you saw the same video I did and I bet many of those walking by were concerned but the woman who said she assumed someone else would deal with it speaks volumes. Thats where I think madame_Zora (hi pleased to meet you) hit the nail squarely on it's ugly head.

I disagree that human nature is to always defile the present in favour of the past. The arrogance of the Victorian era amazes me!, the Elizabethan age was viewed by even those living through it as a golden age. I certainly don't want to return some imagined golden past. We should learn from it yes but to try and return there is a fools errand.

I'm a firm believer that the world is the way we make it, yes we may have made child abuse, spousal abuse and racial abuse etc legally and morally unacceptable in our small corners of the world we call 'civilised'. But in so so many countries (and far too often even in our own back yards) these issues are ignored, paid lip service to at best, while in many parts of the world they remain perfectly legal and/or morally acceptable.

14. bigschlotsky

bigschlotsky New Member

I don't mean to spoil the romanticism of your wayback machine (yes I do), but politicians were MORE genuine? Not a chance. How bout Lyndon Johnson who lied about the Gulf of Tonkin to get us into Vietnam? How bout Nixon? How bout Richard Daley who had DEAD people vote to win him election in Chicago? How bout every big city boss? Nostalgia is nice. But it ain't reality. I'm tired of some older people enjoying bashing the younger generation because they're bitter and long for the good 'ol days, or their youth, or whatever. The past had more corruption, more violence, far more child abuse, more racism, less concern for the poor, etc., etc.

15. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

my first thought seeing this was that it is the end result of a lawsuit happy society. no one wants to get involved for fear of being hauled into court. or beat up. sad to say? yeh. but theres some truth in it. kids yell and scream all the time. and things have changed over the years.

a neighbor of mine two doors down used to spank her daughter too much, in my opinion, growing up. i remember being at a shopping center with them once while mom was holding her up by one arm slapping her ass, and the daughter was hollering all sorts of things. no one probably thought much about that in 1969. not saying thats right, but its how it was. and my friend phil had a belt taken to his ass more than once by his dad until it turned red. no one thought of it as child abuse back then.

another "similar but different" incident happened to me a few years ago. was at a restaurant and headed for the mens room. there was a young kid in there (5 yo?) with his hands stretched out reaching for the sink to wash his hands. he wanted me to lift him up so he could do that. its a shame, but i had to consider the consequences. if his father had walked in and thought i was doing something inappropriate, it could have been ugly. if i didn't help, the kid would think people are awful (which they often are) and it could leave a small scar. in the end, i gently lifted him to the sink and afterward helped him get a paper towel so he could finish up. i did what i thought was right and hoped for the best. don't know that i would repeat that today. nbc news might be there next time with cameras in tow to accuse people of being evil, and would make a story of it.

i am open minded on this issue and am listening...to the parents in particular.

16. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

I was with Dr. Rock on that it wasn't convincing that he was a stranger. It would have come off to me that he was just her stepdad and I probably would have just passed by too. I would like to see the same test with her yelling "I don't know you/who are you? Let me go/Where are you taking me?" I bet you'd see more people step up the plate then.

17. dong20

Gold Member

It's a valid premise but that's what happened to me, and I had known him since birth and he was 7 but it didn't seem to make any difference. Remember we were all kids ourselves and as children we will sometimes have said the most awful, untruthful and spiteful things when we didn't get our own way or were seeking attention. Adults know this, add this to a natural disinclination to get involved/punched for interfering etc and you can easily see why it happened. That doesn't make it right.

I think that says a lot, the very fact that you needed to think twice before an act of kindness speaks volumes. You made the right choice but it also begs the question where was that 5 yo's Parent or Guardian? Leaving a 5 yo alone in a semi public toilet is not something I would do which in itself speaks volumes and so it goes on!

Draft saved Draft deleted