Protein Intake

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by sdg475, Jan 19, 2008.

1. sdg475

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Hey all, I'm a bit of a slow gainer when it comes to putting on muscle. I work out daily, eat a high calorie diet comprised of healthy foods, and stay very active. Over the past few months I have started doing full body lifting every other day, I have gotten much stronger, however I have not put on more than 5-6lbs.

If anyone has any tips on diet, more specifically how much protein I should aim for in a day I am eager to listen. Right now, I eat around 130 grams of protein a day (5'11'' 155lbs). I've noticed an increase in my muscle mass, but not to the extent I hope for. Thanks to all in advance.

2. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

I've always said take in one gram of protein for every pound of your goal weight. Another words your weight is 155# and you want to weigh 170# then take in 170 grams. of protein

Ive always had a problem with gaining weight, I think its fairly commom but, A good way to gain is 6 meals a day. Check out some the web sites like bodybuilder.com

3. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you're a hardgainer like I am you shouldn't work out more than 3-4 times a weeks otherwise you'd be overtraining for your body type. When I joined the gym I did a food diary for my trainer. I was only eating @ 2500 calories a day. I had to bump that up to @ 4000 a day. I added Serious Mass protein/weight gainer drinks 2x a day. It's working.

4. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

5. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

6. modulo

modulo New Member

Agreed here. Training too frequently can cause catabolism (breaking down) of muscle fiber faster than it can regenerate and grow. Increasing your protein intake isn't the only solution but it will help. Giving your body a chance to heal is more important. :fing02:

7. wants2bebigger

wants2bebigger New Member

well here is the thing, those guys arent wrong about the protien intake amounts persay ... but if you weigh 150lbs and you want to have a healthy diet then you should eat 5-6 meals a day and injest 150 grams of protien per day. however, thats for day to day maintaince. in the case of a person who want to gain muscle mass, its a bit different. in your case the amount of protien you would want to injest is higher, after all you cant builder a bigger hosue using the same amount of bricks as a smaller house. so if you weigh 150 pounds and want to gain muscle mass, you of coarse need to work out but you also need to take in 1 and half to 2 grams of protien per pound of body weight. so if you weigh 150 and want to bulk up, you would need anywhere between 225 and 300 grams of protien per day. so typically you would take in 40-55 grams per meal. chicken and tuna are the best sources for this, a large can of tuna has 11 grams of protein PER SERVING, and has 5 serving so that one can would be 55grams of protien. so its not that hard to get a huge amount of protien into your body.

8. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well like I said, the gainer I take has 55 gms of prtein per serving. I usually do 2 a day and that's half my protein right there. The rest is easy to get w/the other 3 meals. I also upped my carbs a bit and cut down on some fiber as it makes the food leave yr body faster. Also when you work out only work 2 body parts per session.I do bi's and tri's, chest and legs, and back and shoulders. Get alot of sleep too. An ecto needs as much rest as poss. to grow the muscle. read From Scrawny to Brawny. Great book.

PS don't get upset if it takes you longer to gain than most guys, trust me I know and it can be very frustrating but it does happen..just slower!

9. sdg475

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Thank you for all of your advice, fellas. I'm happy with my body at the moment, but would just like to put on 10-15lbs. I follow the 3-4 days a week rule as far as lifting goes, but on my off days I have to do speed and endurance workouts. I know that cardio is a highly contested point when it comes to muscle building, but I don't have much of a choice since it is for team practices. As it stands, I eat around 3,5000 calories per day- which may or may not be enough for someone my stature. I'm afraid that upping the calories and cutting down on some of the cardio will lead to gaining unwanted weight.

10. mattmatt06

mattmatt06 New Member

teenbodybuilding.com.... check out the fourms

Draft saved Draft deleted