Protein Shakes

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hey gang,

I have been working out for a little over 2 years now and am wanting to add some protein shakes to my eating regime. I am looking for something that: tastes good (I do not like chocolate), can be mixed with water, and packs a good amount of protein. I am not committed to whey, egg or soy.

Any suggestions?

Steve26

1st LPSG Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Hi Lex -- I've recently discovered a brand called Designer Whey, which is significantly better tasting than others I've tried. The only problem for you is, I've only tried it in chocolate, and don't know what other flavors they may offer or how those taste. The Designer Whey also dissolves very well in water, which cannot be said for all protein powders.

I've always used whey protein, as opposed to soy or egg. I don't have any particularly good reason for that, other than the general sense that it's what most lifters use.

Most whey proteins I have used have been pretty comparable nutritionally, packing 22-25 grams of protein per 1/3-cup scoop. (When I have a shake I add two scoops of powder.) Pay attention also to carbs; you should avoid anything with more than 5 grams of carbs per serving.

For all I know Designer Whey might not be the highest-quality whey protein product; I bought it at BJ's Wholesale Club, for only about $15 for a 3.5-lb. carton (which is CHEAP).

Personally, I've found an inverse correlation between cost and taste; the nastiest thing I've ever tried was a pretty pricey ($40-50 for 5 lbs.) "strawberry" shake that had this incredibly gross flavor and gave me heartburn. If you don't like chocolate, I'd suggest vanilla over anything purporting to be berry or fruit flavored. Reeves makes a vanilla whey powder that is pretty good, for about $30-40 for a 5-lb. jug.

I can't believe you've been lifting all this time *without* protein shakes!! Had I known I would've suggested something long ago.

Steve :wink:

TeflonDon

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

This probably doesn't count as a protein shake but after a workout I have a bottle of "Naked" brand Protein Zone drink. Besides a catchy name, it has 31 grams of protein and a lot of fruit. The fruit, of course, has sugar, but it works for me. And it looks vaguely like cum, which will surely appeal to sum. :blowjob:

D_Herin_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lex,

Whey is the best stuff possible that you can use. Brands like ON and Muscle Milk are the typee of protein you really want to ingest. Those proteins really get you a good size, and allow your muscles to recover much quicker

I supplement with NO-Xplode, Nitrix, Fish Oil and Whey and I get great results.
NO-Xplode is a great pre-workout supplement which helps you keep your focus in the gym, and gives your muscles a little extra kick when you need it during sets. Nitrix is a supplement which increases vascularity allowing more blood flow to your muscles, and combined with argenine helps to give your muscles a good pump and serious definition. Fish Oil is high in Omega-3 fatty acids which keep your lean, is good for your heart, promotes good circulation, and lowers your cholesterol.

Hope that helps!

stretcher74

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hey gang,

I have been working out for a little over 2 years now and am wanting to add some protein shakes to my eating regime. I am looking for something that: tastes good (I do not like chocolate), can be mixed with water, and packs a good amount of protein. I am not committed to whey, egg or soy.

Any suggestions?

I strongly recomend "Absolute Whey Protien" from Interactive Nutrition International. They also sell a "Whey Protein Isolate" which is a little more but they claim is a higher yield/result product. I'm still trying the latter out right now so I can't say for sure. Skip the 450g size and get the 910g size is $30-40CDN and is good for 30+ post weight workout servings.

Good thing about these is that neither uses artificial sweeteners(which I detest), flavors, colors, preservatives. The vanilla flavor is pleasant and mild and can be enjoyed with milk or just added to another beverage. Both are microfiltered and mix the quickest and most completely with milk and a just a little stirring.

I've tried the Designer Whey and it starts off OK but get's nasty with the aftertaste to me after a while. It's was granulated and sweet to me and didn't seem to help much anyways. That might be because I had a huge tub of it to get through though.

I don't recommend egg or soy based myself unless you have a specific allergy to whey or something else. You can just put eggs into the diet a couple days a week(better on the days you're going to do weight) and get the same results and with the protien good and bad cholesterol you need in less processed form. Soy is billed as a "complete protien" but there is also some evidence that it mimicks estrogen (belive or not) in the body and has otherwise complex effects. In the absence of real data/research I only partake of soy products in moderation.

For most of us our body is getting more than enough protein overall. Having a clean form available in abundance when you actually are (post)working out is good, but the rest of the time any more than you need is a strain on the body.

I think also keeping fed is important. Not stuffed but lots of fluid and healthy little meals or snacks throughout the day is ideal. Basically if you get hungry, your body is going to go scavenging and start thinking about catalysis(backward muscle building)

Anyways, this is just advice from a non-professional fitness enthusuast if you're hard core you may want something different/more.

For instance after 6 months or so generally you start to plateau unless your workout is really really versatile/varied/creative and it might take just a little creatine in the AM of workouts to get past your limits. Too much creatine is, like protien a strain on the system, stresses natural production and can lead to actually lead to injuries(acording to friends who are trainers) when muscle strength is built conditioned ahead of bone, ligament, joint development.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Protein supplementation is good for ectomorphs, pretty good for mesomorphs and suicide for endomorphs. You look to me to be a mesomorph, I have no idea how hard you work to stay lean. Protein can gum up youir intestines pretty bad and dehydrate the shit out of your system. Ectomorphs rarely experience this because they are so efficient with their resources and their ability to metabolize. If you are gonna consume extra protein, make sure to increase your water and fiber intake. All of the brands mentioned are just fine, although the ISO products have a protein blend which is superior to just dumping a bunch of fast digesting Whey Protein in your gut which will just trigger an immune response (where in nature can you find ion exchange whey protein? You can't!), although the ISO supplements are probably the most expensive protein on the market. Good Luck you buff bastard!!!!!!!

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just get some basic shit. No need to get crazy, protein is protein. Unless you want to pay a decent amount and get Nitro Tech. One thing to look out for; check how many servings are in each container. Sometimes a really good looking protein will only have like 15 servings in it and its costs a lot its rediculous. I get GNC protein from the GNC store. I get banana flavor because it is the least offensive (however I can drink any protein shake no problem) and mix it with water. Sometimes soy milk or something but more often than not water.

I put a cup with a hand held mixing thing next to my bed at night with another cup of water. As soon as I wake up I pour some water in and drop two scoops of protein in and get my day started right. Right off the bat the metabolism starts burning. I then take one usually before I leave to work out, one upon returning, and then one at night immediately for bed. This creates a constant influx of protien to the muscles and keeps the body burning metabolism. I highly suggest this.

I do it pretty hoop-d. A lot of peoples try to make their shakes all cute, adding fruits and blending it in a real blender etc. I do it strictly for nutritional value to help my body stay cut. Literally just enough water to blend the protein in and then its down the throat.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Thanks to everyone for their advice. My meals are small and throughout the day. And my workouts vary to some extent.

I am looking for a way to add some additional protein on top of all the yogurt, tuna, chicken breasts, almonds and fish.

stretcher74

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Protein supplementation is good for ectomorphs, pretty good for mesomorphs and suicide for endomorphs. You look to me to be a mesomorph, I have no idea how hard you work to stay lean. Protein can gum up youir intestines pretty bad and dehydrate the shit out of your system. Ectomorphs rarely experience this because they are so efficient with their resources and their ability to metabolize. If you are gonna consume extra protein, make sure to increase your water and fiber intake. All of the brands mentioned are just fine, although the ISO products have a protein blend which is superior to just dumping a bunch of fast digesting Whey Protein in your gut which will just trigger an immune response (where in nature can you find ion exchange whey protein? You can't!), although the ISO supplements are probably the most expensive protein on the market. Good Luck you buff bastard!!!!!!!

What tripod said, go ISO. I'm ecto by nature so I have a little more flexibility.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Protein supplementation is good for ectomorphs, pretty good for mesomorphs and suicide for endomorphs. You look to me to be a mesomorph, I have no idea how hard you work to stay lean. ...

I actually work hard to keep my bulk up. I am currently 193# (6'2") and really only want to get to about 200 (and stay there). Four years ago, I was barely 180 and started to slowly gain weight. Welcome to your thirties!

D_N Flay Table

Experimental Member
Media
Hey gang,

Any suggestions?

Hey Lex, I get my protien from Costco..
you get 6lbs for like 25 dollars.. not to shabby, mixes well with water, can comes in different flavors..
and about 25g's of protien per serving!