Proud of being white... is this taboo in 2017?

michael_3165

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Genuine question. In 2017 is the idea of being proud of being white deemed racist? Is it okay to have pride in white background like it is for other ethic groups?

I am interested in how this can be seen as white supremacy and whether different areas in the world view it differently.

Thoughts?

Being proud of who you are, even if it's a random thing like the ethnic group you're born into (which I personally find a bit silly no matter the background) is fine. To me.

Looking DOWN on those who do not fit that demographic, thinking they're less, etc? I would say that's where it crosses the line into being racist. No matter the background.

nosreap

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Black Pride = good
Latin Pride = good

White Pride = hate speech. Being proud to be white is historically = to white supremacy. Is it fair to the current generation on white people? No. But is it a warranted reaction? Yeah probably. But oh well.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm proud of my achievements. I'm proud of my efforts but much more proud of my results.

I did nothing to become caucasian, so it's difficult to celebrate that.

Celebrating one's culture is a completely different thing as is being proud of what one has to overcome or endure to be treated equally.

Last weekend I was chatting to two of the regulars, (I work in a pub), and it turns out that they're not a gay couple, and they're not nazis either, they just both have very severe haircuts. @michael_3165 , has your pride increased as the amount of hair on your head has decreased? Why not be proud of something you've actually done?

Reactions: 693987

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
this is just a me thing, due to the societal privileges associated with being caucasian *specific like in america*
being proud of being white seems a lil hinky to me.

i am not ashamed of heritage... but i have't really had to overcome any obstacles placed before me just because i am white.

i wouldn't call it racist... i would call it culturally insensitive/ignorant

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, largely because of the propaganda work of the leftist academia and the left-leaning MSM, any inkling of identity with and pride in the Caucasian/White/Europid race or the Western/European culture/tradition is typically going to be automatically associated with Nordicist supremacism.

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
This thread belongs in the political forum.

"Pride" as demonstrated by minority groups is an political statement which asks or demands equality with the majority. It's about power and the abuse of power. History is rife with the abuse of majorities. I need not recite examples.

Everyone is proud. Problems happen when pride of the majority oppresses pride of minorities. It's a major theme in human history.

There are cases where minorities hold power over majorities. Here I will cite examples like the Assad's Alawite minority in Syria whose oppression led to the civil war there and the minority white population of South Africa which brutally repressed the black majority politically during Apartheid and continues to do so economically today.

Funny how everyone forgets that pride is one of the seven deadly sins...

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Genuine question. In 2017 is the idea of being proud of being white deemed racist? Is it okay to have pride in white background like it is for other ethic groups? I am interested in how this can be seen as white supremacy and whether different areas in the world view it differently.

Thoughts?

When I hear that a Caucasian person is proud of their heritage, say, their Scottish, or, Italian, or Basque, or Finnish, etc., heritage, I am hearing that person identifying with their ancestral history, culture, and achievements.

But, when I hear someone say they are "proud to be White", simply for their skin coloring, I hear ignorance of their own real heritage, a grasping for privilege or an assumption of superiority, and that sets off bells and whistles for me. Warning sign!... Warning sign!

A/B

Last edited:

jbfly

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Being proud of who you are, even if it's a random thing like the ethnic group you're born into (which I personally find a bit silly no matter the background) is fine. To me.

Looking DOWN on those who do not fit that demographic, thinking they're less, etc? I would say that's where it crosses the line into being racist. No matter the background.

Well then the majority of East Indian and Asians are racists per your definition. It is no secret that those races consider themselves superior to other races.
When I hear that a Caucasian person is proud of their heritage, say, their Scottish, or, Italian, or Basque, or Finnish, etc., heritage, I am hearing that person identifying with their ancestral history, culture, and achievements.

But, when I hear someone say they are "proud to be White", simply for their skin coloring, I hear ignorance of their own real heritage, a grasping for privilege or an assumption of superiority, and that sets off bells and whistles for me. Warning sign!... Warning sign!

A/B

But doesn't being/saying White imply European heritage? Problem is, most of us have mixed Euro-lineage, so should we just claim pride of every country that we have within us? That seems ridiculous. "White" accomplishes that IMHO. Euro-American hasn't really caught on if you haven't noticed, so there really is no option other than "White" which coincidentally describes the color of our skin.

Well then the majority of East Indian and Asians are racists per your definition. It is no secret that those races consider themselves superior to other races.

And? What's your point? I specified "no matter the background". I didn't say anyone is excluded from that. I'm well aware of racism and xenophobia among Asian communities/cultures, as an Asian. My partner has no problem saying that he knows plenty of black people who are racists, though he himself is black.

"Those races" comes off a lil racist, don't ya think? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: Dave NoCal

jbfly

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How would you have worded it? I can't think of another way honestly...please feel free to re-write my sentence.

How would you have worded it? I can't think of another way honestly...please feel free to re-write my sentence.

How about, oh, I don't know, the ever so complicated "Some of the individuals belonging to those races"? :p

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

This was the first thing I thought of. Where I grew up, there was a huge emphasis on ethnic heritage that had nothing to do with skin color. Over time though, we're seeing fewer and fewer "Italian Day" and "Irish Day" and more "Hispanic Day" or "Caribbean Day," and I think people feel a little salty about it. Of course, there's nothing stopping the them from celebrating. And it's not the fault of other groups if they do choose to celebrate.

As for where I live now, there's very little notice of Italian or Irish. Everyone is Black, White, or Latino, and the Asians are overlooked. By the way, using Asians to refer to Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc. is, IMO, inaccurate. Asia also includes the Indian Subcontinent. So we would be as correct to refer to a Bangladeshi as an Asian, an Afghan as an Asian, as we would a Chinese as an Asian. Yet, no one would consider those groups ethnically similar at all.

I suppose it's like referring to Black people in America as African Americans, because it's not as if all peoples who are descended from Africa came out of one homogenous pot.

I do recall hearing a white, female coworker comment on the "Hispanic Heritage Day" and the "Italian Heritage Day" the company held. She asked, "When will they have regular American day?"