Proud of being white... is this taboo in 2017?

S

superbot

^ - I don't think you are reading between the lines, like many us have been in this thread, and others similar to it.
I think you mean I'm 'reading between the lines.'
The whole concept of the initial post is rhetorical,..it seems an utterly meaningless precept both in logic and content.Apart from which ,how can anyone take seriously something so abstract as skin colour to lay the basis of a discussion.Surely it's not a case of being proud or not proud of race/skin colour,it's the whole package that counts.

S

superbot

I love how the Original Poster states he is from Great Britain, and he is asking a question about something Taboo in 2017.
Correct me if I am wrong but, did not throughout England's history, the Crown treat The Welsh, The Irish and the Scottish with a certain amount of contempt.

Being an American Southerner once removed, I know that Southern Americans, had / have a prejudicial view of many countries, who had skin just as white as theirs. They are all White by the standard of the word, but I guess some white is just a little better than others.

Lets not forget a certain gent from Germany, who decided what white was, and that if you did not meet his definition of the term, your life would certainly become complicated.

Not to disparage any country or race.There is nothing wrong with Pride in who you are and the accomplishments of your people.
Your take on British concepts of each other are inaccurate and silly.

S

superbot

And the Cornish.
...until two years ago when there was a DNA profiling of the UK and it turned out that the Cornish today collectively have more Anglo Saxon DNA than the Celtic they imagined! This is what happened when you get misguided nationalism.

Reactions: ronin001

michael_3165

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
What I am basically saying with white oppression of minorities, can you be proud of heritage without being seen as a white supremacist?

Tbh I say what I like I don't pander to other people but would pride in heritage of being white be acceptable as black heritage

michael_3165

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
And the Cornish.

In fairness we get more contempt from Scotland than we have for them nowadays.

Contempt isn't really the word. For me that is too emotive. England have always been arrogant but I wouldn't say they have contempt for the other UK nations. Just assume we have more power and influence

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Your take on British concepts of each other are inaccurate and silly.

Sorry, please enlighten me . I thought the history of those countries mentioned, were filled with military occupations, unfair taxation and tyranny. Bought upon by a ruling government / monarchy

Reactions: ActionBuddy
S

superbot

Sorry, please enlighten me . I thought the history of those countries mentioned, were filled with military occupations, unfair taxation and tyranny. Bought upon by a ruling government / monarchy
or
Or alternatively,bringing in the concepts of modern law,the organized civil service,modern transport,parliamentary democracy etc etc all of which still impact today with the Commonwealth countries with the Queen as it's head and also being Head of State to many of the nation's that were former colonies.The bond is still there and works well.

Reactions: ronin001

neon_beaches

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
What I am basically saying with white oppression of minorities, can you be proud of heritage without being seen as a white supremacist?

Tbh I say what I like I don't pander to other people but would pride in heritage of being white be acceptable as black heritage
Are you asking us if your feelings are acceptable?

Does pride in being white mean you love yourself for who you are and also support people from other cultures and races loving who they are?

Why does the notion of a black history month immediately threaten the souls of some white folk?

Why do many white people seem threatened by the idea of celebrating the history of other ethnicities? Are we ashamed of our history? Do we even have a history worth celebrating? Or is white history the history of cultural appropriation and usurpation?

For most of us growing up in the West, All we've ever been taught is white history.

I want to be proud of the person I am because of the choices I make based out of love and understanding.

Hmmm, I'm white on the inside but nutella coloured on the outside. Where does it leave me?

Would be easier if you just disregard people's colour as something to be proud of - focusing on the behaviour and personality instead.

Are you still tiny? It's been so long you know :)

Reactions: TinyPrincess

Yup, like one lives longer than the other. From what I can gather we all cark it around the same time as far as humans go. Give or take a few years.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
or

Or alternatively,bringing in the concepts of modern law,the organized civil service,modern transport,parliamentary democracy etc etc all of which still impact today with the Commonwealth countries with the Queen as it's head and also being Head of State to many of the nation's that were former colonies.The bond is still there and works well.

I full agree 100%, unfortunately, you will see than both of my previous postings refer to historical events, not modern day. So your description though well written, are based on modern day self governing bodies of the UK.

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Not to be too Scot-centric... lol... (After all, I am 3/4's Brittany/French)... but, this book is amazing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_the_Scots_Invented_the_Modern_World

How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The Story of How Western Europe's Poorest Nation Created Our World & Everything in It ; (or The Scottish Enlightenment: The Scots invention of the Modern World), is a non-fiction book written by American historian Arthur Herman. The book examines the origins of the Scottish Enlightenment and what impact it had on the modern world. Following the Great Man approach, Herman focuses on individuals and presents their biographies in the context of their individual fields and also in terms of the theme of Scottish contributions to the world.

How_the_Scots_Invented_the_World.png

A/B

Last edited:

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
getting back to this
pesonally think the whole things turned around now and not neccessarily for the better

anything/everything black or white
was OK when it was happening as a change was needed but realistically its never ever going to be equal in either black or white peoples minds

before it was just a mild appoach to black deserving to be equal
but now black seems to be totally to the forefront and whites must almost feel suppressed

dont think thats a good thing
and i am coloured myself

dont believe this sort of ongoing almost segregationist activity in itself helps the cause

Women of Color March on Washington

Amid controversy and concerns about inclusivity, marchers of color call for continued resistance to all forms of oppression

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=18189