PS3 Gamers Unite!

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
What do we mean by "older" units? Just the larger ones? I bought my PS3 a few months ago. The prices had dropped by $100 or so, and the new not-slim ones are 250GB and they can't play PS2 games. I haven't noticed any noise on 'em.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Only the first two models can play PS2 games iirc. The first one has the actual emotion chip on it, so it plays PS2 games perfectly. The second one dropped it (this is how they dropped the price on it), and had an emulator on it, it was supposed to play 99% of PS2 games. Then they phased out the emulator in the next generation of PS3s (which is what I believe mine is). The slim release with the price drop was genius though, it really ramped up PS3 sales for Sony. I wish I could say they were that successful with the PSPs. Stupid Go, what a joke.

I just got Fallout 3 the other day for $8, so I started playing that. The stat and perk system is really great. It makes it stand out in the over saturated FPS market. Also having Liam Neeson be a voice actor isn't a bad way to start the game either. :tongue:

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Only the first two models can play PS2 games iirc. The first one has the actual emotion chip on it, so it plays PS2 games perfectly. The second one dropped it (this is how they dropped the price on it), and had an emulator on it, it was supposed to play 99% of PS2 games. Then they phased out the emulator in the next generation of PS3s (which is what I believe mine is). The slim release with the price drop was genius though, it really ramped up PS3 sales for Sony. I wish I could say they were that successful with the PSPs. Stupid Go, what a joke.

I just got Fallout 3 the other day for $8, so I started playing that. The stat and perk system is really great. It makes it stand out in the over saturated FPS market. Also having Liam Neeson be a voice actor isn't a bad way to start the game either. :tongue:

If I had one gripe it would be that I wish my PS3 could play PS2 games, there are some personal favourites of mine that I wouldn't mind playing again (yet I'm too lazy and don't have the space at the back of my TV for setting up the PS2 indefinitely).

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Do you not have your PS3 set up through HDMI cables? I still have my PS2, and I still buy and play games on it all the time. I do wish my PS3 could play it though, it would be nice. It would be nice if they made a firmware upgrade that added emulation support. I might be willing to buy it too if it were made cheap enough (say $20).

Also I just got Street Fighter IV today (not super, I'll get that eventually, waiting for a price drop). Pretty good, though I'm having trouble with Abel. :mad: Damn CPU instant grabs. I'd like to get BlazBlue as well. I can't wait for MvC3 though!

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have the PS3 via HDMI, as well as a HD media player. So that's my two HDMI ports gone, also I have a DVD player, second media player and pvr taking up the other slots. I'll survive without the PS2, but it would be nice to have the backwards compatability.

I bought Street Fighter IV a few months ago. I was really excited to play it but I was one of those kids who grew up with Street Fighter 2 on the Snes (which I adored) and IV just didn't do it for me. I really didn't like the character designs and I found the gameplay to be a bit overdone. Without intending to sound like an old scrote, it just wasn't like the old one!

If I had one gripe it would be that I wish my PS3 could play PS2 games, there are some personal favourites of mine that I wouldn't mind playing again (yet I'm too lazy and don't have the space at the back of my TV for setting up the PS2 indefinitely).
I wish it could play PS2 games, too - dunno if any of the European ones did? It's a piss-take. They got big cred for making PS2 backwards compatible - but mebbe they had to drop it to lower the price?

Mine's hooked up w/HDMI - but...occasionally the screen goes snowy/flickery - and I have to change HDMI ports. Odd. Maybe it's the telly, tho.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Modern Warfare 2 was a bit of a disappointment for me. I finished the game so quickly and I was really surprised that it finished when it did, I felt as if there was still hours of gameplay ahead of me. I guess the online content makes up for what you cannot play in the story mode.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
MW2 is definitely meant to be played online. The campaign is kind of a joke really. That's the case with most FPSs. If you want a modern shooter with some more meat in the campaign you should try Bad Company 2, or Killzone 2 (though that is more futuristic). If you don't need it to be military, Bioshock 1 and 2 are great choices. They have really solid stories.

I like the look of SFIV, but I do wish they would've made the graphics more resemble their SF Alpha sprites. Don't get me wrong, I love me some classic SF2, but Alpha is where it's at for me (from a pure Street Fighter perspective). That's when they added the clever bits like tech blocking and super moves, isms, and the add a bunch of characters (or brought some over from other series). I have to say though, I really love Crimson Viper's design. She's fun to use (although a bit difficult for me as a SFIV beginner, but I plan on getting better with her) and I really like how her suit is what gives her those abilities.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I'm having a serious field day on Final Fantasy 13 right now. w00t

For those of you in the know, when roaming around Pulse on chapter 11, you eventually encounter the huge Adamantoise species. There's no use fighting them unless you've got very strong equipment and have filled up a lot of your Crystarium; they're just way too powerful and can kill your party in one or two area of effect attacks. Anywho, they ARE defeatable.

You'll want to challenge them after completing Stage 9 of the Crystarium and acquiring each character's ultimate skill.

Lightning: Army of One [Ravager]
Hope: Last Resort [Ravager]
Sazh: Cold Blood [Ravager]
Fang: Highwind [Commando]
Snow: Sovereign Fist [Commando]
Vanille: Death [Saboteur]

You can take them out in one of two ways. You should enter the battle with 3 TP. You could also activate the Fortisol shroud to start the battle with Bravery, Faith, and Haste. You'll also need to start in a paradigm that has Fang as a Saboteur.

One is a pummel without abandon approach; the other is Death. Here's how.

For the first, get Lightning, Snow, and Fang in a party; Sazh is a good substitute as his Blitz [Commando] move can hit huge enemies many, many times. Immediately start the battle by summoning an Eidolon. The Adamantoise creatures will collapse before them. Fang should spend the time piling on as many debuffs as she can. This will raise Bahamut's gauge to full. When shifting into Gestalt Mode, immediately perform his final move which will hit for at least 200,000 HP damage. (No worries; very small potatoes as Adamantoise creatures have at least 3.6 million HP.)

While it's down, shift into Relentless Assault [one Commando, two Ravagers] or Tri-Disaster [three Ravagers] to max out the gauge. If you've got the passive skill Random Instant Chain, it makes it even easier to stagger quickly. Build as fast as you can, then shift to Cerberus [three Commandos] and just pile it on! It'll fall.

The other approach is to put Vanille in the lead. You'll probably want a paradigm setup like Espionage [two Saboteurs, one Synergist]. Again, summon your Eidolon immediately to get it to collapse. Personally, I like trying to off it before my team shows up. To do this, Vanille inflicts Imperil and then repeatedly casts Death; if under Haste status, you can try between 5 and 7 times.

When the party returns, the other Saboteur, probably Fang, will work on casting other debuffs and your Synergist can enhance the chances of a successful Death cast by casting Vigilance and Faith.

While this method is based on luck, the upshot is that you don't have to waste a shroud before battle begins. That, and the toughest Adamantoise has too much health. It's hard to beat into submission.

The downside to either of these approaches is that should the Adamantoise get back up, it's coitans. Just pause, press Select, and retry the battle; spare yourself a Game Over screen. On the plus side, the wins are worth it. Both of the larger Adamantoise creatures grant the same rewards -- 40,000 CP and a chance to drop a Platinum Ingot [which sells for 150,000 Gil] or a Trapezohedron [which is the rarest, most expensive catalyst mineral used to transform your level 2 weapons into their ultimate forms].

Finally, some additional information about how I set up and equip my teams:

Pummel Approach:
All members carry Sprint Shoes -- this gives your team auto-Haste at the start of battle. Two members will also wear Speed Sash and Energy Sash. These accessories give extra ATB and TP for successful kills; combined, they also allow random instant Stagger. One person on the term should wear the Collector's Catalog and the Connosieur's Catalog, which ups the chances to getting the Adamantoise to drop a spoil (the Ingot is common; the Trap is rare, respectively).

Death Approach:
Same accessory setup as before. Vanille should wear the Belladonna Wand-line of staves as this improves her debuffing abilities. (Strange that Death is a Saboteur spell; it counts as a debuff... that can kill *dun dun dun*.)

Okay, dorkiness complete.

:eek:

Might try some of it. Gave up on the huge adamantortoise things...lol.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Dude, I feel you on that one. I didn't want to leave Pulse about beating Barthandelus (again, srsly), so I doubled-back and tried on more missions. Honestly, I end up experimenting, casting Libra, and figuring out how some of these baddies. I reset the battle and try again with what I picked up in the first go-round.

I only figured the summoning thing out with the Adamantoises because, if you didn't know, they'll revive your whole team after dismissing it. When it fell down, I was like, o rly?

coolbrotha86

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Wow! So I am normal after all lol. Unfortunately my wallet is hurting at the moment so no new games for me. I think I'll revisit Bayonetta and Batman AA and I never finished Army of Two. I can't wait for MvC3 either. I'm practicing on MvC2 but everyone loves that damn Magneto lol. Infamous 2 and Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions look awesome as well.

PSN name: coolbro86 if anyone wants too add me