PS3? Wii? Xbox?

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I am considering getting a 'game station' for the family room- but no clue on which is the 'better' system.... any recommendations? suggestions? negatives?

D_fwr12jvm

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
For family fun, I definitely recommend the Wii... there are some great party games. For hard-core gamers, I prefer xbox... but not so much difference these days. Most software is available on ps3 or xbox. Have fun!

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I prefer Xbox 360 but PS3 is by far the better bang for your buck. With PS3 you get a built-in blu-ray player and free online play, whereas with the Xbox if you want to watch HD movies you have to purchase a separate add-on. Also Xbox charges like $70 a year to play live.

That being said, online play on the Xbox is waaay better than it is on the PS3. More people and better servers...I'm sure this will be disputed :)

As far as the Wii goes, it can be fun with other people, but in my opinion gets old pretty quickly. The games are fun and I see why it's appealing, it's just not my personal favorite. I'll stick to my original NES :) Plus, both the PS3 and 360 now have motion sensing capability which basically nullifies the appeal of a Wii for me.

PS3 and 360 have better graphics than the Wii, and frankly they have better games too. However, my parents are about your age and have a Wii, but they've used it like 3 times in 3 years. It really comes down to what kind of games you want to play. If you like the older arcade or family style games, like my dad does, then the Wii is probably your best bet, but if you're interested in modern style gaming my vote still goes to the 360, even though I hate Microsoft.

Just go to Best Buy or WalMart and test them out for an hour or two

But whatever you do...DO NOT get an Xbox 360 Arcade version. They are cheap but will cost you more in the end because they only have 4GB of storage

Last edited:

HappyBoi

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Depends on what you're after, and who's going to use it, such as age of the persons among other things. :)

Wii is a great party-system or a nice family-fun machine. It's far from a hardcore-gamesystem, it has pretty low graphics for example, but for a family with younger kids it's the right choice. The whole idea is to have fun in group, through moving and useage of your own body. :)

Xbox360 and PS3 are both really good systems, more hardcore games and better graphics, more power in the machines. The Xbox360 can play DVD movies, and the PS3 can play both DVD and BluRay movies. Both systems can store music. PS3 supports online gaming for free, Xbox360 takes a fee - but their online-mode is a lot better and easier to use. PS3 has more power, and can, if the game-developers really try to get the most of the machine - show better graphics than the Xbox360. Both systems has a lot of good games, both systems has a few game series exclusive to their own system - for example Halo on Xbox360 and Uncharted series on PS3 (to name a few). Both systems now support the same idea that Wii is founded on - gameplay through moving your body. The PS3 version is called "Playstation Move" and uses a hand-held controller, much like the Wii. It usually costs about 100 US dollars (this is a item that needs to be bought outside the system itself, or together with it as a bundle for a reduced price) with a game included. (I checked the price on BestBuy). The Xbox360 version is called "Kinect" and uses NO controller, only the movement of your own body - you are the controller. It usually costs around 150 US dollars (this is a item that needs to be bought outside the system itself, or together with it as a bundle for a reduced price) with a game included. (I checked the price on BestBuy).

So, to sum up:
The Wii is probably the best system if you're a family with younger kids who wants to enjoy some fun, nice, relaxed family time together, this is also the cheapest system.

The Xbox360 or PS3 is a better choice if you want to have fun with your family but still be able to play hardcore games, have movienights and watch DVDs and/or Bluray. These two systems are more expensive, with the PS3 one being the most expensive (but at the same time the system with the most power). Both these systems support movement-play, with the items Kinect (Xbox360) and Move (Playstation), but these items will add another cost.

Hope this helped. :]

tross87

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've seen quite a few new games only coming out on the ps3 and not xbox because the xbox can't handle it/doesn't have bluray and they can't fit the games on dvd. Not sure if it's a marketing gimmick or not but the ps3 def has more power and I would go for that.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The Wii is fun, but not right for you if you're a gamer. It's more about getting a bit of exercise and having fun while you do it. The games are, in general, very shallow.

bigjuan1563

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have had this convo many times before and.....PS3 has won every time it play's blue ray(1) many games you can play free online (2)and even the disk space is bigger then 360&wii (3) witch some parts of game's have to be cut because the game is to large for 360 (Final Fantasy) and the PS3 has been named the most Powerful system ever.

ok am done ^_^ oh and the ps3 has the iToy witch has more games then the Kinnect and it plays better. Am done now.lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf44bWQr3jc

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have a ps3 to play games and watch movies in 3D

but I have a Intel Core i5 with a high end video card and it makes the ps3 look like crap
the new intel ivy bridge cpu chip has 50% better video performance then core i7 so I will buy it when it comes out.

thay make Microsoft Kinect for the PC Now

Last edited:

PS3 - because of the blu-ray player.

Wii if you have kids and want more cartoony, family friendly games. :)