Psst, if you want to sound like an ignorant person lacking sophistication & grace...

AllHazzardi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, a fact SilverTrain wasn't chugging along to bring forward, it would seem. At least not enough to include it in his opening post.

You know, the thing with slang is... You can refer to any group of person as you want, the problems come around when you actually refer to a person of that group using your slang term(which happens to be meant derogatorily).

Funny how thin of a line that one is. If you refer to some group of people derogatorily within your social group, it's prejudice, if you do the exact same thing to the person's face, it's discrimination(at this point you are actually treating them differently because of race). If you keep it in your group, in doesn't cause problems; use as much and as bad slang as you want in private, but out in public just have a little respect for the people around you and tone it down, because they're doing the same thing. Being social is all about relaxing boundaries and constraints, that we choose to assign different levels to each boundary just goes to show how we tend to function.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, because rePUGnican sounds SO graceful.

Yes, because FAUX News sounds SO sophisticated.

Sklar

No. Obviously not. Are you nevertheless a proponent of the use of the term "libtard"? Or are you just a proponent of juvenile arguments in general, perhaps?

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yeah, a fact SilverTrain wasn't chugging along to bring forward, it would seem. At least not enough to include it in his opening post.

You know, the thing with slang is... You can refer to any group of person as you want, the problems come around when you actually refer to a person of that group using your slang term(which happens to be meant derogatorily).

Funny how thin of a line that one is. If you refer to some group of people derogatorily within your social group, it's prejudice, if you do the exact same thing to the person's face, it's discrimination(at this point you are actually treating them differently because of race). If you keep it in your group, in doesn't cause problems; use as much and as bad slang as you want in private, but out in public just have a little respect for the people around you and tone it down, because they're doing the same thing. Being social is all about relaxing boundaries and constraints, that we choose to assign different levels to each boundary just goes to show how we tend to function.

I was merely pointing out how tacky one sounds when using this term.

And no, I was not addressing the use of any other terms.

And no, I wasn't invoking prejudice or discrimination.

Scope limited to the issue addressed in the original post.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
]...keep using the word "libtard" when discussing politics. Doing so is sure to accomplish your goal.[/FONT]
I am so glad you mentioned that. I'm not fond of rePUGnican or Faux news either. Though faux news is accurate, since they tend to make things up and misquote people a lot.

I would rather listen to Lady Gaga try to sing Carmen.
Remind me again . . .why is she famous?!?!

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I avoid using any form of those shitty political sorta-plays-on-words because I try to keep my posts relatively respectful and civil. (Hell, I don't even call creationists names, and I love arguing with them.) However, should name-calling be appropriate and/or necessary, I prefer to stick to insults that are directed at just one person, not every follower of a party or philosophy. Like "dipshit."

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No. Obviously not. Are you nevertheless a proponent of the use of the term "libtard"? Or are you just a proponent of juvenile arguments in general, perhaps?

So let me see if I understand this.

Your thread title and single sentence is sophisticated and graceful.

Whereas mine, by pointing out what's been said of the right side by detractors, is a juvenile argument.

Instead of actually agreeing with me and saying something like: "Yes, Sklar I agree with you." you instead actually attack my statement by degrading it.

I wonder just how fair and balanced you really are.

Sklar

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So let me see if I understand this.

Your thread title and single sentence is sophisticated and graceful.

Whereas mine, by pointing out what's been said of the right side by detractors, is a juvenile argument.

Instead of actually agreeing with me and saying something like: "Yes, Sklar I agree with you." you instead actually attack my statement by degrading it.

I wonder just how fair and balanced you really are.

Sklar

I have not and do not make any claim that anything I've said is sophisticated or graceful.

You didn't address the word "libtard" in your post. You were apparently attempting to say, "well even if this one thing is lame, look at these other things that are lame, too." Which is not a winning argument, really. And you did it in a manner I deemed juvenile, yes.

I do agree that "repubnican" is a tacky term. "Faux News", while posing some arguable merit as an item of debate, is nevertheless a trite term now, and the use of it raises, to my mind at least, the spectre of amateurishness. And I indicated such with my general disdain of the straw man you hoisted in your first post.

Here on this big dick website, in the politics sub-forum, I make no claims to being fair and balanced, nor have I ever done.