Psychopathy and relationships

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Gecko4lif, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Gecko4lif

Gold Member

Albums:
    Are you or do you know anyone who is a psychopath?
    Have you been in a relationship with one?
    How was it?

If you dont know what psychopathy is please do not post until you have at least some idea what you are talking about. No need to make an ass of yourself.

2. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

It would be almost impossible to enjoy being in a relationship with a psychopath. You'd have to be a really needy, insecure or niave person to know you are with one and choose to stay with one. I study serial killers.

3. Gecko4lif

Gold Member

Albums:
    Psychopathy is incorrectly synonymous with knife wielding maniacs or hannabl lecter types.

Just because you have no qualms with harming another person doesn't mean you will.

The Same way most people could walk to work instead of drive a car. It is a matter of decisions and personal choice.

Admittedly the more intelligent psychopaths are the ones who cope the best

4. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I know you can be a psychopath without killing people, but based on my information about serial killers who were lifelong psychopaths still managed to find needy, desperate and niave people to hook up with. Those are the personality types most likely to allow and tolerate what comes with the psychopath.

There is a myriad of other personality/brain disorders that go hand in hand with psychopathy, for example, narcissism is a common trait for them. Psychopaths often have a part of the brain that doesn't interpret sympathy or empathy and feel no negative emotions about how they could be hurting others emotionally or physically. So for the psychopath it is not really a decision that is a bad one to do what they are doing.

There is a lot about the frontal lobe of the brain that plays a role in this sort of behavior.

5. Gecko4lif

Gold Member

Albums:
    That is true. Narcissism & ASPD are 2 big ones. Interestingly enough the most charming people are most likely to be psychopaths.

And as far as finding needy or naive people goes everybody has a bit of naivety or neediness in them. It is unavoidable. Often a difference in social intelligence or situational/self awareness are the only things stopping the average person from being the marionette.

6. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I think these types are attracted to people who are most likely to forfeit their own happiness in life and the lives of their children, because it takes a weaker person to live with someone who will not or can not be flexible in their way of thinking. There is no doubt that psycho/socio-paths can be high on the IQ scale and very good at manipulation. Narcissistic people are pros at the manipulation.

7. SyddyKitty

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was in a distanced relationship with someone deemed a literal psychopath. It was really hard to relate to him and even harder to get him to emote in ways I expect people to. It eventually ended up with him having an extreme superiority complex pushing me away along with a few of his friends (which were my friends that ended up leaning more towards him than me... wtf there). He caught me on the rebound after a bad relationship. He was a loose acquaintance at that point and I used him as a shoulder to cry on... and he just swept me up and I went with it, stupidly. After about a week he came out with the admission of being medically a psychopath. I tried to work with it and relate but I just couldn't. The "relationship" lasted 2 weeks after his admission with another week of drama afterward before an absolute cut-off.

He did educate me well on what a psychopath really is. Learning experience for sure, not something worth going through. Read about it instead.

#7 SyddyKitty, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  8. Gecko4lif

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you are of the mindset you can rationalize how anybody is inferior to you. And actually later in life those of stronger emotional fortitude are targeted because the weak ones become boring. Something of an evolution.

9. Gecko4lif

Gold Member

Albums:
    Interesting. Very interesting.

10. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    the sociopath next door

11. lopo2000

Gold Member

Based on what I learned, a psychopath is usually a charming person who is also very successful in life. The charms are used to attract victims. Perhaps that's how it was sweet in the beginning.

12. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have. These persons cannot relate to you as you actually are. It is terrible for them if you deviate from the mental image they have constructed of you and they flip and become highly critical and even punitive. If you let them they will continue to dump on you unless you cut them off completely.

Flexibility is what they lack, even though they may be very good at keeping up a sociable appearance. It only goes so deep, and then the illusion of friendliness is shown to be hollow.

13. Gecko4lif

Gold Member

Albums:
    Im sorry I just read your whole post in yodas voice and found it a bit amusing

14. iluvbigheads

iluvbigheads New Member

...I think what were talking about here is hard to do on here, I think many people have many ideas of what "constitutes" psychopathy. Law enforcement officicals suggest the following list are indicators of psychopathy:

Glibness or Superficial Charm
    Graniose Sense of Self Worth
    Need for stimulation
    Proneness to Boredom
    Pathological Lying
    Conning/Manipulative
    Lack of Remorse of Guilt
    Shallow Affect
    Callous Lack of Empathy
    Parasitic Lifestyle
    Poor Behavioural Controls

How many on here demonstrate 3 or 4 out of this list, just be being a member here (and I'm not exception to this either)...boredom, need for stimulation, etc...people all over the place, in good exective jobs or otherwise, possess a degree of psychopathic behaviour apparently. The issue seems to be what behaviour can be labelled psychopathic. I would think one has to know the person's personal history and what shaped the behaviour. After knowing, then I could call the shot on being in a relationship. I don't think its impossible whatsoever. But I also wouldn't be long kicking some ass if my supposed partner was way out of order.

15. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I wasted six months of my life with a closet meth addict who exhibited all these qualities (yes, every one). He was extremely handsome, usually quite charming and knew precisely which buttons to push (and when).

Once I discovered the truth, I dropped him like the garbage he truly is. Whenever I see him out with some guy I have the urge to warn him (the guy, not the sociopath), though I doubt he'd even listen.

16. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

Post deleted by poster after consulting a dictionary.

#16 B_RedDude, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  17. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I think he meant psychopathy, the disorder of being psychopathic, psychopathology is the study of the disorder. I think he was saying that if you didn't know what the disorder was that you shouldn't answer. He wasn't saying if you didn't study psychopathy (which is psychopathology) that you shouldn't respond.

Since we are mincing words and all...

18. iluvbigheads

iluvbigheads New Member

...well no offense and I think it's unfortunate, but we're dealing with a meth addict here. Without knowing details or the story, the point is he had a personal history that lead to the behaviour. Perhaps I could assume he would be an otherwise good person had he not been addicted. When someone needs to support the high and keep it goin, they will eventually stop at nothing to get high...and it might mean manipulating the closet around him to do it.

19. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

That's a lovely Freudian Slip for the Psychology thread indeed! :tongue:

20. Gecko4lif

Gold Member

Albums:
    Damn.

Missed it.

Draft saved Draft deleted