Ptown Diaries

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Stronzo, Aug 23, 2009.

1. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

The Logo Channel (should you happen to get it) has presented a documentary on Provincetown, Massachusetts.

It's called Ptown Diaries.

The history piece was pretty interesting and the evolution from the Pilgrim's first arrival in the harbor in 1620 to the Portuguese fishing village to gay mecca and art community is interesting. I partly experienced firsthand some of this transition.

If any of you get Logo I recommend it. Peter Manso (who wrote the highly controversial Ptown) is featured. In my view he's no friend to the town.

But again it shows familiar places that I've loved since I spent my one and only summer there living and working in 1976 when the Tall Ships were in the harbor for the Bicentennial.

The documentary also speaks of the transition the town most currently faces from a small down-on-its-luck Bohemian community to an exclusive (nearly exclusionary) place unaffordable to most Americans.

It's become sort of a gay Nantucket in that sense. And in my view has lost a good deal of its charm.

2. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    I saw the documentary as well and agree with your assessment. I would just highlight, though, that the town's historical residents sold to the highest bidder, as the documentary. The $$ moved in to town with the real-estate bubble, with some wealthy gays buying second (or third) investment properties there, and now they can't afford them.

Draft saved Draft deleted