Public art, graffiiti and vandalism

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by wallaboi, Nov 21, 2011.

1. wallaboi

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I love the notion of public art, but where is the line between art and vandalism? I understand that art is often political, is it ok to spray paint an architechtiral icon like a cathedral or house of parliment. What about guerilla gardening?

Please post your experiences, as a perpetator, victim, or did someone leave the gift of art on your fence?

2. psidom

Gold Member

Albums:
    i love stencil art, i have been busted and it is a costly pastime.
    there used to be what they called "free walls" that you could tag
    but i think over time they made it so no business owner could allow that.

it was considered unsightly and you would be fined.

i dig the guerrilla gardening idea lol. : ) nice.

3. parchissi

Gold Member

As an art teacher in high school I always devoted one wall in my class room where kids could graffiiti/mark-making/stencil etc any time they felt so inclined - the wall constantly changed with images etc and it became quite an important social comment where kids could say and do what they felt like( ofcourse in a school we had to have a few boundaries which the kids set - not me !!) It was just a way I gave kids the opportunity to be totally free with their expression and non-art students enjoyed the opportunity too.. I love Graffiiti art - to me any time a person makes a "mark" - then they have "said" something - even if its only to themselves....Cheers.

4. vibrationzzz

Gold Member

Albums:

Most of the so called graffiti 'art' I see covering walls and just about every thing else has been done by those who do not have an artists bone in their body. There is some good graffiti, yes. Most of it though is vandalisim by dickheads with spray paint only interested in tagging.

Everyone likes to leave some mark behind for someone else to see in the future. Most like to leave something constructive, others destructive.

Draft saved Draft deleted