Public displays of affection:kissing etc.

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Wyldgusechaz, May 29, 2007.

1. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

I spent the week in Campeche, Mexico. Really interesting city. Very Spanish, first city in the new world apparently.

People/couples gay/straight young and old were making out like crazy. The city has a seawall and all the amorous couples were kissing and hugging and smooching EVERYWHERE along the wall. Plus kissing in doorways, and parks, and restaurants. . It was quite romantic.

I was very jealous. I love kissing and making out and that open sort of display of affection seemed so natural but I rarely see that in America.

Maybe its right in front of me but we seem a little cold as romantics as judged by that very small part of romance.

How may men/women here could throw their arms around their guy/gal and kiss him to death right in a public place?

2. ledroit

ledroit New Member

Albums:
    good point. I feel the same way in France, esp in the smaller towns. People seem much more real there than they often do here in the US. Maybe it is because of all the social & ethnic differences we have n the US that makes people keep their distance emotionally while appearing to be friendly on the surface only. People from other cultures often find americans very superficial.

We seem to allow only macho, aggressive feelings to be displayed in public, and think it's a show of power to keep your feelings hidden. Maybe it's a combination of old puritanical beliefs plus some old cowboy, frontier thing.

But I think that is an important part of american culture that needs to be subverted. I can't for the life of me understand why so many people continue to go along with thinking that violence equals freedom, while love and sex are too shameful ever to see in public or on film.

Don't most ordinary folks feel freedom the most when they are feeling sexual, or in love, or actually having sex? If so, in this great land of the free, why is the freedom to have or see sex and pleasure such a terrifying prospect in a movie or in public? People have a heart attack here over seeing Janet Jackson's nipple, or a penis in a film. It is completely insane.

3. B_Kshelby67

B_Kshelby67 New Member

*raises hand*
    Um that would be me.

4. earllogjam

Gold Member

I abhor public displays of affection especially being a gay man. How dare you straights flaunt your freedoms in front of me. I can't even hold a lover's hand in Safeway let alone kiss him. We still have a long way to go in terms of public acceptance.

I doubt you see gay couples smooching it up in Mexico. I am skeptical.

Strangely in Muslim countries I could hold his hand and kiss him without it being a moral offense. Affection between men is not something "unnatural" there.

5. sdg475

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Nope, kissing and holding hands with another man is not a moral offense in Muslim countries for one reason: it is not seen as homosexual. However, in many Muslim countries if an act is deemed homosexual it is punishable by death.

Personally, I feel indifferent towards public affection. If people want to make out in public that's their choice. On the other hand, if someone opposes PDA I don't think it is fair to label them as emotionally closed off. Everyone has their own values, and I don't have to adopt them, so I say do what you want.

6. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

It does kind of burn my biscuits when I can't get into a damn store because some creep decides that the doorway is an appropriate place to slobber all over some girl. There's a place for everything, and the doorway ain't it.

7. burns1de

Gold Member

Yeah, me too. And you know we'll be doing that.

I don't give a shit what others think about me french-kissing a woman in public. If they have a problem with it, they can tell me to my face.

I'd like to see someone try that. Never met anyone suicidal enough to do so, however.

8. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's what I love about spring. Everybody wants to pucker up.

It's irksome when people make snarky remarks about people engaged in PDA. Smile when you see a couple kissing. Be happy for them. :smile:

9. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    I saw two men kissing in a small back parking lot one time, it looked so sweet. It wasn't a PDA for the sake of attention. Leaning against the car, arms around each others hips, just having an "I'm off to work, honey" snoodle.

I don't mind seeing others doing it and I'm not against the big PDAs from time to time. My personal taste in displays of affection run more to the subtle. Arm over my shoulder or around each other's waist, walking. The occasional stroke on the back of my neck if we're sitting next to one another. It's the little things.

10. danerain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hey, as long as you aren't making-out between me and a train, I'm cool.

If you are, I'll nicely ask you to let me by. You don't, well, I've never had that happen. My death stare is enough to cure priapism.

11. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I definitely enjoy partaking in a little PDA. :smile:

12. seterwind

seterwind New Member

Albums:
    I'm all for public displays of affection, heck I'm all for public sex! My partner and I do alot. But we have our boundries... sometimes... I prefer not to make out in front of children, and I prefer not to be pounced (she pounces me a ton) in a store (typically knock things over). But I don't see the problem with public displays of affection, as long as you arn't getting in the way.

As for public displays of gay affection, walk the streets of downtown Toronto, or any of the other of the surrounding cities, I see guys make out all the time. It's wonderful to see personally and I wish everywhere could be as liberal as Toronto.

13. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

I think that as long as it comes naturally, that the mood strikes you no matter who's around, then it's great. It's when people look like they're showing off that it's annoying.

14. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I have no desire to score the hat trick playing tonsil hockey in public. But I do enjoy being able to hold hands with the love of my life while walking down a sidewalk, or a quick smooch. It just feels so natural.

15. NCbear

Gold Member

What DCDeep said.

NCbear (who wants to hold his man's hand in public, but who cannot for the life of him persuade his man to do even that)

16. No_Strings

Gold Member

I guess I'm an old fuddy then, I can get uncomfortable around PDAs, whether involving me or not.

More specifically, kissing - a hug, hold, squeeze etc, fine and dandy.

But to me, a kiss is such a powerful, sensual, erotic action, that I feel it should also be private thing between two people. Although I wouldn't dare let my cool posterior crack:)biggrin1:), it's to the extent where I even feel a little uncomfortable seeing a kiss on TV if I'm watching with others. :redface:

(A kiss is the single, most consistent thing that I'll daydream or fantasize about with another woman, whomever it may be)

17. transformer_99

Gold Member

PDoA's don't bug me at all, that is, not until it becomes an imposition for the rest of us to get things done, like walking thru doorways, thru a room, aisle or whatever. When you see that special someone, move to the side, closer to a wall and lay that sloppy wet one on them, I have no problem with that. Stop and do it when the rest of us are coming thru to get to point b and both of you will get knocked/pushed out of the way. That rule will be strictly enforced when my best interests/agenda are at stake.

Another example, if you're in the car and getting intimate, sorry, I have no tolerance for it when traffic comes to a standstill and gridlock over it. Even a momentary delay means those involved are incapable of multi-tasking in that manner. Have the courteousy to realize it, gasoline is $ 3+/gallon and the rest of us sure don't want to be stuck somewhere any longer than is absolutely necessary, even if it's only a fraction of a second. Realize what job # 1 is at that moment for the group as a whole , it's not a selfish sexual moment. I even feel this way about changing a cd, answering a phone, changing a dvd if one has those in their vehicle.

There are exceptions to PDoA, but for the most part, as long as consideration for others is observed, I could care less what other's do in that regard. The rule of thumb, are other's significantly impositioned by what is being done ? Seeing it occur/the visual is not an imposition in my book, I'm trying not to be around it long enough for it to be an imposition, I assume the rest of the world is doing the same.

18. nick22ca

nick22ca Member

Maybe your acceptance of PDA is directly related to the average temperature of your home town. There wasn't much room for PDA growing up, when it's -30F for 6 months of the year.

19. roosevelt

roosevelt New Member

My GF and I are all about it.

We walk hand in hand all the time, and sometimes we kiss, but we make sure never to get in anyone's way, actually, we usually look for someplace a little secluded so as not to draw attention.

She grew up in europe, and me in latin america, so we're not you're typical "american" couple I guess, it just seems natural to us.

20. B_Kshelby67

B_Kshelby67 New Member

I do agree about the kissing part here. What is an exceptional feeling though, is being around so many people and kissing your partner. The people around you just disappear, and it is suddenly only the two of you that exist. It can be a very powerful feeling.

Draft saved Draft deleted