Publicity ploy to close Gitmo blowing up in Obama's face

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why Bush III? Is everything with you either black or white?

Sounds like a person trying to uphold legal procedure and fair prosecution while trying to undo the effects of the legacy Bush's policies of torture have wrought. From the article you cite:

But the tribunals will include new legal protections for terror suspects, President Obama said in a three-paragraph statement. "This is the best way to protect our country, while upholding our deeply held values," he said.

and:

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said the new tribunals are designed to provide detainees better protections in court than the earlier commissions. He said the new tribunals "represent a far different system" than the earlier commissions under the Bush administration.

Among the new rules: restrictions on hearsay evidence; any evidence collected through torture or abuse will be banned; detainees can change their military lawyers; and detainees won't be sanctioned if they refuse to testify.

Maybe not perfect, but a start. Nor, as you suggest, is the Demo's lack of support for housing Gitmo's prisoners on U.S. soil a "blow up" in Obama's face. I wouldn't support it either. This is a work in progress, and most (in their right minds at least) including McCain, agree for Gitmo's need to close, wherever the detainees are housed.

The dems are blocking the funding to save Obama from huge embarrassment.

Its basically common knowledge in DC that Obama is clueless about most things politics and otherwise [mostly due to his extreme inexperience] and this is one time where his peers are looking out for him.

He and his writers literally just come up with catchy phrases and plugs for his speeches without any regard for the actual implementation of the bullshit.

When it comes time for implementation, they are running into problem after problem.

Your lies always catch up with you.

Always.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This publicity/popularity stunt to close Gitmo is blowing up in Obama's face.

The Democrats are shooting this thing down, too.

Hopefully we can start worrying more about governing and leading, and less about pandering, public relations tricks and popularity contests.

Senate Dems Pull $80 Million in Gitmo Closure Funding, Oppose Transfer of Detainees to U.S. - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

so much love, care and tenderness for ~250 bad guys.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View

Its basically common knowledge in DC that Obama is clueless about most things politics and otherwise [mostly due to his extreme inexperience] and this is one time where his peers are looking out for him.

He and his writers literally just come up with catchy phrases and plugs for his speeches without any regard for the actual implementation of the bullshit.

When it comes time for implementation, they are running into problem after problem.

Always.

Not clueless I'd say, just doing his best to sort out the mess (of Guantanamo) he has inherited.

Cleaning up someone else's shit is always a messy job.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Always.
Right, Obama is a clueless Politician. He's so clueless that he came from behind, with little experience, and gave the Clinton Political Machine a big ass whooping...............Go ask Hillary how clueless she thinks Obama is.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Right, Obama is a clueless Politician. He's so clueless that he came from behind, with little experience, and gave the Clinton Political Machine a big ass whooping...............Go ask Hillary how clueless she thinks Obama is.

Hillary would agree that his inexperience is unprecedented.

Great orator. Appealing to the masses.

Extremely inexperienced in governing. Highly prone to making promises that are impossible and pretending to know about things that he has no clue.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hillary would agree that his inexperience is unprecedented.

Great orator. Appealing to the masses.

Extremely inexperienced in governing. Highly prone to making promises that are impossible and pretending to know about things that he has no clue.
Interesting.......you avoided responding to your on premise that Obama is a "CLUELESS POLITICIAN"....and that everyone knows it....

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Interesting.......you avoided responding to your on premise that Obama is a "CLUELESS POLITICIAN"....and that everyone knows it....

Yes; even those in the democratic party are protecting Obama by cutting the funding to close Gitmo.

They know it will be a large embarrassment for the administration.

They know he doesn't have a clue about this and many other grenades that he is currently holding the pins to..

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yes; even those in the democratic party are protecting Obama by cutting the funding to close Gitmo.

And you act as if Democrats haven't objected to proposals that have been presented by their own party before. Unlike the core members of the GOP, a bunch of good ol' boys that will blindly support each other even if it's not right for our nation, some people with the title of "Democrat" or "liberal" actually think for themselves.

I know... it's hard for you to understand that some people actually use their brains. But it's not in the rule book that everyone has to follow the leader and just take it.

They know it will be a large embarrassment for the administration.

They know he doesn't have a clue about this and many other grenades that he is currently holding the pins to..

In other words, they disagree with a few things the President says and now he's clueless? Forgive me as I laugh hysterically in your face for making yet another clueless, sweeping generalization.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And you act as if Democrats haven't objected to proposals that have been presented by their own party before. Unlike the core members of the GOP, a bunch of good ol' boys that will blindly support each other even if it's not right for our nation, some people with the title of "Democrat" or "liberal" actually think for themselves.

Nice deflection, VB. Closing of Gitmo was a cornerstone of his priorities; and his own party is running from it.

I know... it's hard for you to understand that some people actually use their brains. But it's not in the rule book that everyone has to follow the leader and just take it.
thanks for the laugh. hahaha.

..follow the leader....that is *exactly* what 85% of the posters in this forum do.

In other words, they disagree with a few things the President says and now he's clueless? Forgive me as I laugh hysterically in your face for making yet another clueless, sweeping generalization.
He's clueless about the ramifications of his blathering and outlandish claims.

He's not clueless about life.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Nice deflection, VB. Closing of Gitmo was a cornerstone of his priorities; and his own party is running from it.

It's not a deflection. It's TRUTH.
Why don't you look up the voting records of Democrats and see that some of them do not always go along with the party. And BTW, most Democrats are still in favor of closing Gitmo. I'm also for it.

When Timothy McVeigh conducted his heinous act of terrorism, we didn't whine and bitch about putting him into an American jail cell, nor did we cry when he was assassinated. The four that were exposed in Brooklyn and arrested? Again, no complaints from the 'Merichuns. All of a sudden, we have a problem with Gitmo prisoners acting as if they're more dangerous than anyone else we have in prison now? Stop the bullshit.

What makes a Gitmo prisoner different than any other terrorist that has been arrested and jailed in our prison system? NOTHING... except they're from the Middle East. Oh, and some of them haven't been charged for anything. :rolleyes:

thanks for the laugh. hahaha.

See, I told you the image in your mirror isn't one of me! :rolleyes:

..follow the leader....that is *exactly* what 85% of the posters in this forum do.

And with you, that would make it about 98%. :rolleyes:

He's clueless about the ramifications of his blathering and outlandish claims.

Judging by some of the threads you've made on this board, you should be the last person judging someone on the basis of having a clue. Your expertise is supposed to be money... not mental stability.

Last edited:

Wyldgusechaz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's not a deflection. It's TRUTH.
Why don't you look up the voting records of Democrats and see that some of them do not always go along with the party. And BTW, most Democrats are still in favor of closing Gitmo. I'm also for it.

When Timothy McVeigh conducted his heinous act of terrorism, we didn't whine and bitch about putting him into an American jail cell, nor did we cry when he was assassinated. The four that were exposed in Brooklyn and arrested? Again, no complaints from the 'Merichuns. All of a sudden, we have a problem with Gitmo prisoners acting as if they're more dangerous than anyone else we have in prison now? Stop the bullshit.

What makes a Gitmo prisoner different than any other terrorist that has been arrested and jailed in our prison system? NOTHING... except they're from the Middle East. Oh, and some of them haven't been charged for anything. :rolleyes:

See, I told you the image in your mirror isn't one of me! :rolleyes:

And with you, that would make it about 98%. :rolleyes:

Judging by some of the threads you've made on this board, you should be the last person judging someone on the basis of having a clue. Your expertise is supposed to be money... not mental stability.

I do not believe most Dems are for closing Gitmo. I think the vote was 90-6 against closing it. A majority of Dems are basically on board with Bush and Cheney on this issue.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Let's get specific here, Wyld. Most are against the funding for the closing of Gitmo.

The House wanted a better plan for it, and not just money thrown at it. Considering that we can't even find a place to put the Gitmo prisoners, because all of a sudden some people NOW fear that a terrorist could be placed in our prison system and convert death row prisoners to Islam, ignoring the fact that we've always housed domestic terrorists in our jails, I wouldn't expect the proposal to pass now.

Dems nix money to close Gitmo, say plan needed first - CNN.com

cruztbone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
the president gave an excellent speech, and he clearly outlined the 5 groups of individuals left among the 240 remaining at Guantanamo. We have always held some
terrorists in our prisons, thoughout history. Meanwhile, Cheney continues to demonstrate how completely ignorant, unconstitutional, immoral and irrelevant he is to our national pride. What a disgrace and a bad joke he has become.
God bless our president and his courageous leadership.