Puerto Rico

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was perusing Yahoo news today, and I ran across this article: Congress debates referendum on Puerto Rico - Yahoo! News

The House is debating a bill that would allow Puerto Ricans to have a say on the future status the commonwealth.

From the article:
Initially, eligible voters, including those born in Puerto Rico but residing in the United States, would vote on whether they wish to keep their current political status or opt for a different direction. If a majority are in favor of changing the current situation, the Puerto Rican government would be authorized to conduct a second vote and people would choose among four options: statehood, independence, the current commonwealth status or sovereignty in association with the United States. Congress would have to vote on whether Puerto Rico becomes a state.

Perhaps there are some Puerto Rican members here that can shed some light on what the general feeling there is?

treetruck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
that vote has been coming up for years, Puerto ricians have always vote to remain a teritory, maybe times have changed

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
that vote has been coming up for years, Puerto ricians have always vote to remain a teritory, maybe times have changed

I've seen some numbers (I forget where; perhaps I'll search for them later) that show with each successive vote, a greater and greater percentage of Puerto Ricans have voted for statehood, with ~46% doing so on the last vote they had.

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media
I was perusing Yahoo news today, and I ran across this article: Congress debates referendum on Puerto Rico - Yahoo! News

The House is debating a bill that would allow Puerto Ricans to have a say on the future status the commonwealth.

From the article:

Perhaps there are some Puerto Rican members here that can shed some light on what the general feeling there is?

just trying load up on some more votes. Personaly I would think they rather keep their tax exemptions.