Pumpkins

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by joyboytoy79, Nov 21, 2006.

1. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Me:

"You know what they are.

They're orange, mostly round, hollow, and filled with seeds and goop. Many people use them to make pies."

Store Clerk:

"Oh, we only sell those at Halloween. I didn't know you could actually cook with them."
    Yes, these are sad times. The above exchange actually happened last night. Snoozan and I scoured EVERY supermarket in the greater New Castle County area, including (unfortunately) most of Cecil County (MD). Not a single one had a single pumpkin on sale.

Forgive me, but isn't Thanksgiving the traditional "Pumpkin Pie" holliday? Don't people make that particular pie out of PUMPKINS?!?!

Unfortunately, i'm making pumpkin pierogis, which cannot use canned pumpkin (it's too wet). I need the real deal. So... after 4 hours of searching yesterday, we turned to the phone book. Finally, after calling every specialty store and vegitable stand between Baltimore and Philladelphia we find that Whole Foods in Philly has pie pumpkins! So, i came home tonight with 3 perfect pumpkins, which i intend to chop up, sautee and puree tomorrow.

Still, does anyone else find it a little odd that this VERY COMMON winter squash is all but missing this year? What happened? Was there some sort of pumpkin famine that I was not privvy to? (i'm a plant scientist [albeit a budding one {pun intended}], i hear about these sorts of things, i would have known!) I was beginning to fear that pumpkins really don't exist...

2. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    A few years back, I'm buying groceries at a local grocery store.
    Among the items I picked up was a bunch of asparagus.
    The cashier, a blonde girl in her late teens/early twenties, looks at the
    asparagus and says "Whats that ? "

I tell her its asparagus. She then flips through the produce price list
    looking for how much it costs and then asks me " I that spelled with an E ?"

I nearly fell over.....

3. snoozan

Gold Member

Not a good story to relate on JBTs thread. He probably does spell it with an "e"!!

Just kidding! His spelling is, however, atrocious.

I was there for the 2 day pumpkin search extravaganza. Including the part where JBT had to pee behind a Wal-mart because nothing was open and we were 30 minutes from home.

And the part where I tried to run over some lady with my cart because she looked at me "wrong."

Now, JBT forgot to mention that many of the supermarkets had all sorts of exotic and/or out of season produce: pomelos, pomegranates, prickly pear, starfruit, all sorts of berries, watermelons, other melons, coconuts, artichokes, papaya, etc. so on and so forth. BUT NO PUMPKINS?!?! It was infuriating.

Which leads me to this joke:

Q: What do Elkabilles (hillbillies from Elkton, MD) do for halloween (or in this case, Thanksgiving)?

A: Pump kin.

4. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:

Let me guess, its called Elkton because you can't say Cousin Fucker in
    public ?

5. snoozan

Gold Member

Yes. Also the toothbrush was invented there. I know this because if it were invented anywhere else, it would be called a "teethbrush."

6. dolf250

dolf250 New Member

I made pumpkin pie from scratch two or three years ago. By scratch I mean pumpkins rather than canned pumpkin. My only suggestion is to wait for a weekend and try a farmers market. Aside from that you may only be able to make your perogies in October. The good news is the day after Halloween you could probably buy as many pumpkins as you wish for about a dollar.

7. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

That sounds like a sure-fire winner for the 'specialized tastes' adult video market. :cool:

Pumpkins aplenty here in this part of south-west Germany at the moment; every grocer's store, every supermarket, every fruit & vegetable market ... is positively overflowing with the things. However, they're nearly all intended purely for decorative purposes (as with so many of the squashes here), since people seem to have forgotten that you are actually able to cook with them as well. :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted