Punk-type music?

MysticNight

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Just wondering if anyone likes this type of music, I can rarely find anyone who does, but I know there's people out there! Anything such as Blink 182, Yellowcard, All Time Low, etc. (some of my favorites :smile:).

It kind of bothers me how I like these bands before they are famous, then they become famous and very pop-like, but I still like them even after all that.

Just some thoughts, anyone else have any opinions?

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
you got me poppin' champagne!

i like that song from all time low, but meh really. Blink are a band of my youth so i like them, but i prefer older punk, but im not that big of a listener. youd get a better convo talking about these bands with my brother or girlfriend.

From Velvet Underground to the NY Dolls to The Ramones to Gang of Four to Dead Kennedys (but I didn't like Lard) to The Talking Heads, to The Sex Pistols to The Circle Jerks to The Cramps to The Clash to Nina Hagen then on to Blondie, Violent Femmes, The Vandals, Runaways, Iggy Pop/Stooges, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Minutemen, Oingo Boingo, The B-52's, Dead Milkmen, Social Distortion, X, Minor Threat/Fugazi, Joy Division/New Order, The Go-Go's (before they went pop), Bow Wow Wow, The Clash, Bad Religion, Adam and the Ants, The Four Skins, Black Flag, The Pixies, Sonic Youth, Gas Huffer, The Hives, and Nirvana.

I don't care for The Plasmatics, Bosstones (or much other ska), Rancid, Pere Ubu, Hüker Dü, or Suicidal Tendencies.

I do like cowpunk. I know some bands changed genres or worked in multiple genres.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to listen to the more metallic type of hardcore bands in the 80's like DRI, Suicidal Tendencies, Agnostic Front, Wehrmacht, SOD, MOD etc.

NOFX has more talent in the bass players left testicle than all of Blink.

D_Rod Staffinbone

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
some vintage punk rock is still good. (for better or worse i was there.) the ramones, in my opinion, stand the test of time better than the clash. new york dolls are in a league of their own. guess i've mainly moved on to other interests.
when punk rockers started taking it seriously, it ruined everything. the modern lovers were great at the very beginning of all that.

some fairly recent bands are pretty good -the view, delta spirit, and grizzly bear,
to name a few. and the strokes from a few years back.

Last edited:

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Violent Femmes
The Ramones
Dead Kennedys
Dead Milkmen
NOFX
Suicidal Tendencies
The Clash
The Pixies
Gas Huffer (Jason, you are the first person I've met that's ever heard of them.)
Sex Pistols
Sonic Youth
Primus
Babes in Toyland

Like 'em all. I'm sure there's more, though.

StrictlyAvg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
From Velvet Underground to the NY Dolls to The Ramones to Gang of Four to Dead Kennedys (but I didn't like Lard) to The Talking Heads, to The Sex Pistols to The Circle Jerks to The Cramps to The Clash to Nina Hagen then on to Blondie, Violent Femmes, The Vandals, Runaways, Iggy Pop/Stooges, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Minutemen, Oingo Boingo, The B-52's, Dead Milkmen, Social Distortion, X, Minor Threat/Fugazi, Joy Division/New Order, The Go-Go's (before they went pop), Bow Wow Wow, The Clash, Bad Religion, Adam and the Ants, The Four Skins, Black Flag, The Pixies, Sonic Youth, Gas Huffer, The Hives, and Nirvana.

I don't care for The Plasmatics, Bosstones (or much other ska), Rancid, Pere Ubu, Hüker Dü, or Suicidal Tendencies.

I do like cowpunk. I know some bands changed genres or worked in multiple genres.
Adam and the Ants definitely not punk (tho great fun and I did like em back in the day) but that's a great music collection Jason. :cool:

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
ill make a list too then although mine wont be that long

Sex Pistols
NOFX
Blink 182
All time low (id debate these last two)
Hives
Clash
Art Brut
The Futureheads
Libertines
erm cant think of many. more than that though.
i actually have a large CD of punk which i love but i cant find it.

leonceswim

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I like a lot of those bands. Slick Shoes, Bad Religion, Set Your Goals...I can go on. lol. and I love Warped Tour, met a bunch of bands from that, Rancid AFI NOFX Say Anything are some of the biggest. had backstage passes to the first two warpeds I ever went to

Violent Femmes
The Ramones
Dead Kennedys
Dead Milkmen
NOFX
Suicidal Tendencies
The Clash
The Pixies
Gas Huffer (Jason, you are the first person I've met that's ever heard of them.)
Sex Pistols
Sonic Youth
Primus
Babes in Toyland

Like 'em all. I'm sure there's more, though.

I like to hum Appendix Gone. It's a catchy tune.

Adam and the Ants definitely not punk (tho great fun and I did like em back in the day) but that's a great music collection Jason. :cool:

Ah but like the Go-Go's, they were in their early days and played some of their stuff in concert even if those songs didn't make it on to their records. I have (or had) a bunch of bootleg stuff from various bands that show their punk roots before record companies repackaged them into something else. Talking Heads much of the same thing. What they played and what got published were frequently two different things with quite a few bands. It's sad.

TXgirl77

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I like this kind of music, yes! Jason, that's a very good list you have there.

I loved it when grunge came out in the 90's - Nirvana and Alice in Chains, to me the perfect kind of music.

D_Rod Staffinbone

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Last edited: