"Pussy Riot" is back in action... Support them!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ActionBuddy, Jan 11, 2014.

1. ActionBuddy

Gold Member

Albums:
    The whole world is watching, Mr. Putin!

From this incredible blogger: http://121-1.tumblr.com/

The women of Pussy Riot made meaning out of a horrific experience in prison. Now, they’re launching another protest movement in Russia.

As soon as she was released, Alyokhina flew not to Moscow to see her family but to the Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk to see Tolokonnikova. (As co-conspirators, the women were not allowed to serve time in the same penal colonies.) There they strategized for a few days before flying to Moscow and seeing their children—Tolokonnikova’s 5-year-old daughter, Gera, and Alyokhina’s 6-year-old son, Filipp—before holding a press conference, the first of their lives. They are the subjects of three documentaries (including one shortlisted for an Oscar), at least one book, numerous public campaigns, and thousands of articles, but their activism used to be anonymous—fame came to them while they were behind bars. The most important thing they learned from their first press conference was that, at least for now, they have a large international audience.
    Their high profile afforded some protection in prison—Alyokhina was not forced to work the extremely long hours of other inmates—but it also drew much unwanted attention. Prison authorities tried to ensure they were both isolated and scared; they threatened other inmates with retribution for associating with the women, whom they perceived as potential troublemakers, and rewarded them for harassing the Pussy Riot convicts. Alyokhina was threatened with bodily harm within days of landing in her dorm at a penal colony in the Urals in December 2012; she asked to be placed in protective solitary confinement.
    What they have disclosed of their experience opens the window on the hell that is the life of a Russian inmate. Prison stories are stories of humiliation, dehumanization, and constant physical hardship. While in solitary, for example, Alyokhina was subjected to gynecological searches whenever she left her cell to meet with her lawyer and again when she returned. She filed a series of complaints and eventually declared victory in a letter to a friend: “This went on for a month, and now I have finally managed to get this canceled. It was painful and disgusting, and anyway, no one can stand being subjected to ‘the chair’ 4 times a week.”
    “Many inmates say, ‘I just want my 14-hour workday and to be allowed to sleep the rest of the time so the days pass faster,’ ” Alyokhina says. “This is the most terrible thing that happens to a person in prison: She refuses to live, she refuses to see that she is more than a body that is shuttled between the dorm and the factory. And it turns out not to be so difficult to give up thinking for yourself—suddenly it seems like not such a big sacrifice to make. The denial of freedom as a legal concept becomes a metaphysical denial of freedom.”
    “Every correctional institution is a totalitarian state in miniature,” says Alyokhina.

---------------------------------------------

http://24.media.tumblr.com/fb140873f12bc332a2c624a5adec4a49/tumblr_mz86uffDoR1qh8yuoo1_500.jpg

Once they were released, Alyokhina and Tolokonnikova (aka Pussy Riot) put out a call to former inmates to testify to the abuses they had witnessed or experienced. They have been meeting with recent ex-convicts and recording their stories. Tolokonnikova is particularly interested in collecting information on IK-2, which she began doing in the Mordovian hospital.

“At IK-2, you have to work to be taken to punitive solitary,” she says. “First you have to surrender your outerwear and, dressed only in a thin uniform, stand outside in the quad with your arms stretched forward. This can last up to three days. If you collapse, they will stand you back up again.” After this, the cold and deprivation of punitive solitary come as a relief.

“Regular staff there have regular sticks,” Tolokonnikova says. “But one of them has a stick with a metal tip. She will walk along the conveyer line in the sewing factory and hit people with it at random.” Other weapons at IK-2 include a large stick emblazoned with the word ARGUMENT (used by the warden himself as an “argument” in discussions with inmates) and a stick covered in plastic tape used to enforce work discipline at the sewing factory. The work shift at IK-2 runs from 7 a.m. until 3 a.m., and inmates are often roused at 5 to work on the grounds before they report to the factory. One of the women whose testimony Alyokhina and Tolokonnikova have recorded said she witnessed a death at the factory in mid-December: A woman apparently collapsed from exhaustion while working in the middle of the night and died. Inmates were then compelled to sign statements indicating the woman had not been at work when she died.
    ----------------------------------------

http://25.media.tumblr.com/3d1ebde96cd739320f14527cbc718308/tumblr_mz84tdbMRL1qh8yuoo1_500.jpg

Russia has one of the world’s highest percentages of its population behind bars—not as high as the United States, but a key difference is that in Russia the risk of landing in prison cuts across class lines. No one knows the exact figures, but human rights advocates estimate that more than 15,000 and possibly more than 100,000 of Russia’s roughly 700,000 inmates are entrepreneurs sent to jail by competitors or extortionists. And then there are the political prisoners, a population that is growing despite recent high-profile pardons. Opposition activists are arrested seemingly at random; many of them are not leaders but ordinary grassroots activists or even one-time participants in a demonstration. The goal of this tried-and-true Soviet tactic is to frighten people away from any and all opposition activity.

#1 ActionBuddy, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  2. Lord_of_Goon

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That one girl is hot!

3. ActionBuddy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Whatever... You missed the point, dude.

4. FloridaFree

FloridaFree Member

Albums:
    Good to know I'm not the only one following this story.

5. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Putin Vs Pussy. I know where my money is, Free the Pussy. Put-in Pussy? Somewhere there is a joke he won't like.

6. thirteenbyseven

Gold Member

I readily admit I'm not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree and not that politically astute. But when did this musical group Pussy Riot become as hot as the 1960s Beatles? When they were not busy being arrested, what international blockbuster hits did they sing?

As an average American, I've enjoyed Russian music from the time I was a little kid. When Boris Karloff narrated Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf and said, "soon a big grey wolf did come out of the forest" with the accompanying three French horns, man my little body tingled. And to keep the struggling coffers full, each orchestra season seems to have a Ravel orchestration of Mussorgsky's Picture at an Exhibition. So although we in the U.S. are not complete Russian music illiterates, that blockbuster female musical group Pussy Riot hasn't registered on any scale until the media put them there.

Why?

Pssst... me thinks it's because Putin has put Bibi Netanyahu into his shoe box in Israel with the warning that "my nukes are way bigger than your nukes." Yup, this bad Russian P.R. lately to do with not letting Israel and their tail-wagging-the-dog surrogates in Congress and the White House attack Syria or Iran.

7. B_underguy1

B_underguy1 New Member

8. superbot

Gold Member

Didn't Madge support them ...(for about six and a half minutes??!!)

9. ActionBuddy

Gold Member

Albums:
    "Pussy Riot's" purpose was not to create a international, mega-hit song, but was to protest and bring international attention to the deplorable living conditions of so many Russian women, and the tromping of freedom of speech in Russia... Sorry you couldn't figure that out from the post.

As for the other dismissive comments... OK... Pretty much not worth bothering to post this news here then, right?

At least FloridaFree got it.

A/B

#9 ActionBuddy, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  10. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Putin IS a pussy. I mean, who ELSE but a pussy takes a guy's ring, pockets it, then when the guy first mentions the ring was stolen, his immediate response is "What ring?" A REAL "class act".

THANKS A.B. for bringing us up to date on this continuing story.

11. thirteenbyseven

Gold Member

But ActionBuddy, don't you recall it wasn't that long ago when the media was calling Putin our good buddy? George W. Bush: "Vladimir. I call him Vladimir."

What changed? The Russian tromping of free speech news articles in the western press seem to be directly correlated to Putin's Syria and Iran stance. One could also argue the western media smear of Russia actually started when Putin tossed out the Oligarchs, perhaps including the release of latest oil Oligarch from prison who high-tailed it to (surprise!!) Israel.

When Putin was playing ball with the U.S. and Israel, you'd think Russia was a feminist utopia; I am woman hear me roar.

I'll now go back to more important American life priorities, like NFL football and which TV or movie hottie is going to take a naked selfie of her bazooms.

12. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Putin is a despotic regional tyrant with huge natural resources and weapons of mass destruction. Sound familiar?

13. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:

Funny, aside from his relatively chummy relationship with G. W. (birds of a feather?) I can't recall when he was ever viewed (here) with less than a suspicious eye.

14. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
    I get it too.I attended a fundraiser for the Free Pussy Riot campaign in Manchester last August.

Pussy Riot Sentencing Commemoration Festival

Even if we had no direct influence on Putin's decision it was a good night out. :cool:

15. cruztbone

Gold Member

Pussy Riot represents human rights, civil rights and freedom of expression. everything that Putin despises. God bless them and protect them. it is hard to find a case of clear cut good vs. evil in the world, but this is a good example.
    and yes, I DO support them, as does the Diversity Center of Santa Cruz , California!!!

16. B_underguy1

B_underguy1 New Member

17. ActionBuddy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, great... Please DO go back... 'Nite!

18. ActionBuddy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Awesome!

The more we keep in touch with them, the less that the oligarch/fascists can harm them, or trounce on freedom of speech... Especially with the "Sochi" Olympics coming up.

Let's follow their blogs, and let them know that they are not alone!

A/B

19. thirteenbyseven

Gold Member

ActionBuddy, always remember this. Low-brow people like myself have made American great...and provided a fertile ground for a plethora of reality TV series.

20. B_underguy1

B_underguy1 New Member

Lol. They're not alone. They have plenty of support from the US Dept. of State and the NED.

Is there any blatant propaganda that you guys won't fall for?

Draft saved Draft deleted