Puttin' on my sporran, or: dinner at the Rockefeller's

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
So, Jason has been at me for weeks to go with him to a reception for his cousin's wedding. They were married in Scotland just this summer in what I'm sure was a lovely ceremony.

It's a small, intimate dinner party for 700 and it's being held at Kikuit (yes, Carol married a Rockefeller which is a big blah, blah, blah). I generally dislike this type of function so I gave the usual excuses: I think I have other plans; I can't find my tux (what, I'm rooting around my massive New York apartment?) and even if I did, there's no time to get it dry-cleaned, etc.

But he trumped me, big time. I got a pm with a "wonderful" solution telling me I didn't need a tux because,although it was black tie it was also, get this, preferably "Highland dress". As in, because just everyone has one hanging in their closet (and I'd made the mistake of admitting so in a post while I was in Edinburgh a week ago) all you have to do is pull out your kilt. Your KILT!

I could post his pm, but that might be a bit too overt. The point is, I've found my tuxedo. Really quickly. The last thing I'll be doing is going up the Hudson commando in a skirt. Seriously.

Tell him.

Last edited:

Her name is Anne. You'll love her. She's delightful. Carol is her aunt, my cousin.

Highland dress isn't odd at all. As I've stated, I know plenty of people who wear that sort of thing to this sort of thing. Wear whatever pleases you. I think you'll have fun as you know so many people already.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Her name is Anne. You'll love her. She's delightful. Carol is her aunt, my cousin.

Highland dress isn't odd at all. As I've stated, I know plenty of people who wear that sort of thing to this sort of thing. Wear whatever pleases you. I think you'll have fun as you know so many people already.

Carol. Anne. Whatever. :rolleyes:

I'm doing remarkably well to remember the names of your innumerable family (whom, for the record, I adore) as it is.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

B_Dustydo

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I do hope your sporran is NOT made from the snowy pelt of a baby Fur Seal Nick8.
Not very PC.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I do hope your sporran is NOT made from the snowy pelt of a baby Fur Seal Nick8.
Not very PC.

No, Actually. My sporran is not furry, which is what would apparently be an evening one (Seriously, who knew?). Mine is daytime wear, an embossed leather one with tassels.

Not very PC.

Sealskin is banned for import into the US. Unless it's a pre-ban item, you can't buy one or bring one into the country. A friend of mine is Icelandic and his wife ran afoul of this when she brought in a sealskin dress while on a business visit. Because he worked for Icelandic Air and because she had no intention of leaving it in the country, she got away with it but was lucky.