Q. for people who wear earphones at the gym

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Calboner, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Do you do it purely to listen to music (or whatever you listen to), or do you do it also (or alternatively) to discourage people from talking to you?

I always wonder about this when I see women at the gym wearing them. I once made a casual remark to an attractive woman on a neighboring step machine before I had noticed that she had them in her ears. She had to remove them, or one of them, and ask me to repeat what I said. Of course, doing so made me feel pretty stupid, as my comment was a perfectly inane observation that was not at all worth repeating; but if she was aiming to make guys like me aware that conversational advances were unwelcome, she certainly succeeded.

#1 Calboner, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  2. D_ShiaLeTubeSteak

D_ShiaLeTubeSteak New Member

its music cos the shit they play in the gym just aint my bag.

3. Jonathan2/11

Jonathan2/11 New Member

I like wearing dem to get pumped for the work out, it kinda puts me in da mood more longer

4. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Can't count on them if you drop that 200-pound bar on your neck and scream for help...:frown1:

5. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have read several dear who ever letters where people do this in an attempt to keep conversation to a minimum. Most women actually go the to the gym to workout not makeout. Its a common complaint in these places, dem and da, More longer.

#5 Deno, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  6. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Uhh. . . . What?!? :confused:

7. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    sorry it was a comment about a previous posters english

8. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I wore them so I could get pumped up for my workout. I'd always invite conversation by pulling both out and listening to whomever was talking to me.

9. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Because Tupac will make you want to slap yo' momma. Or do an intense workout.

That, and I won't have to listen to the narcissistic douche bags talk about how tight their asses are getting. But I haven't been to the gym in months, I purchased a weight bench.

10. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

I would have to say to discourage conversation. It's the reason why I wear them, and it's definitely the reason I wear them in the office at work. I put earplugs in and the headset on top. That way, I can crank the music all the way up and not damage my hearing. It makes for a peaceful 2 hours every morning.

11. saabman

saabman New Member

I usually work out with my brothers and we are usually talking and stuff, so I don't wear my i-pod. I have to admit - when I am there by myself - I wear them to stop people from talking to me. I am there to lift, get ripped, sweat my balls off, catch a sauna, hit the showers, and leave. I can't stand those people (usually the fat people) that go into the locker room and change, go into the weight room, stand by a machine and talk to anyone that walks by for an hour, then go back into the locker room, shower, and leave. Pathetic.

12. D_Cock_Hudson

D_Cock_Hudson New Member

I do to make the time go quicker, and it links in to the tv screens. I've sometimes timed visits to coincide with a programme I've wanted to watch.

13. Jake90

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Definitely for the music. Anyone's welcome to talk to me, especially the guy who was checking out my bulge at the gym the other day!

14. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

When i did go to the gym i always wore headphones. Really i would have liked not to wear them so i could have talk to new people, and if someone did start chatting i would always take them off. But i needed music to keep a steady pace and motivation, cause if i was focusing on the music then i wasn't focusing on how much pain i was in

15. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Completely for the music. Without my music, I get bored quickly and will end my workouts prematurely. If someone chooses to talk to me, I remove my earphones and will slow down on whatever machine I'm using. Meeting new people is always great, no matter the location.

16. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

i wear headphones like 80% of the time. I always pause my ipod when someone wants to talk to me. I get so used to wearing them that i dont even notice they are in. So if i was at the gym it would not necessarily be so people wouldnt talk to me.

17. D_Roland_D_Hay

D_Roland_D_Hay Account Disabled

I wear them for the music...however, if I don't want someone to talk to me they can be handy (hehe)

18. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I'd generally wear them for the music. The last gym I went to did have pretty good music pumping throughout so I didn't wear them as much. Also, I actually don't go to the gym and need to get to working out somewhere that I can do that for free. (tight budget you know...)

19. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

I only wear them when I do cardio. If I have to be on a treadmill for 20 plus minutes, I need to listen to something. Sometimes, I use the music as a timer. I know how long a set is so pschologically it helps get me through the workout since I hate cardio so much.

I never wear them when lifting weights. The wires bug too much and I always see them as a potential danger. I need to be very focus when lifting heavy weight. I will just listen to the music the gym has playing in the background.

Since my workouts are timed, I try not to talk to anyone when I work out anyway. Before of after or during my warm up is OK. I hate interuptions. To me, the gym is not a pick up joint. And I hate it when people treat it that way.

20. the_kerryzzz

the_kerryzzz New Member

Albums:
    I just pull my earphones off when there is someone I need to talk to. I also like my own music. It does serve a purpose as well when there are folks that you do not wish to converse with. For instance, there is this old longhaired bleeched blond and fat , nasty guy with short shorts who bothers the younger guys from getting there workouts done. He uses the gym as a very social type thing. I put my head down or look away anytime I see him coming. I wish people like that would just give it up and go to some bar to socialize!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted