Q. for people who wear earphones at the gym

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Calboner, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Do you do it purely to listen to music (or whatever you listen to), or do you do it also (or alternatively) to discourage people from talking to you?

I always wonder about this when I see women at the gym wearing them. I once made a casual remark to an attractive woman on a neighboring step machine before I had noticed that she had them in her ears. She had to remove them, or one of them, and ask me to repeat what I said. Of course, doing so made me feel pretty stupid, as my comment was a perfectly inane observation that was not at all worth repeating; but if she was aiming to make guys like me aware that conversational advances were unwelcome, she certainly succeeded.

#1 Calboner, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  2. D_ShiaLeTubeSteak

D_ShiaLeTubeSteak New Member

its music cos the shit they play in the gym just aint my bag.

3. Jonathan2/11

Jonathan2/11 New Member

I like wearing dem to get pumped for the work out, it kinda puts me in da mood more longer

4. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Can't count on them if you drop that 200-pound bar on your neck and scream for help...:frown1:

5. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have read several dear who ever letters where people do this in an attempt to keep conversation to a minimum. Most women actually go the to the gym to workout not makeout. Its a common complaint in these places, dem and da, More longer.

#5 Deno, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  6. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Uhh. . . . What?!? :confused:

7. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    sorry it was a comment about a previous posters english

8. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I wore them so I could get pumped up for my workout. I'd always invite conversation by pulling both out and listening to whomever was talking to me.

9. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Because Tupac will make you want to slap yo' momma. Or do an intense workout.

That, and I won't have to listen to the narcissistic douche bags talk about how tight their asses are getting. But I haven't been to the gym in months, I purchased a weight bench.

10. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

I would have to say to discourage conversation. It's the reason why I wear them, and it's definitely the reason I wear them in the office at work. I put earplugs in and the headset on top. That way, I can crank the music all the way up and not damage my hearing. It makes for a peaceful 2 hours every morning.

11. saabman

saabman New Member

I usually work out with my brothers and we are usually talking and stuff, so I don't wear my i-pod. I have to admit - when I am there by myself - I wear them to stop people from talking to me. I am there to lift, get ripped, sweat my balls off, catch a sauna, hit the showers, and leave. I can't stand those people (usually the fat people) that go into the locker room and change, go into the weight room, stand by a machine and talk to anyone that walks by for an hour, then go back into the locker room, shower, and leave. Pathetic.

12. D_Cock_Hudson

D_Cock_Hudson New Member

I do to make the time go quicker, and it links in to the tv screens. I've sometimes timed visits to coincide with a programme I've wanted to watch.

13. Jake90

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Definitely for the music. Anyone's welcome to talk to me, especially the guy who was checking out my bulge at the gym the other day!

14. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

When i did go to the gym i always wore headphones. Really i would have liked not to wear them so i could have talk to new people, and if someone did start chatting i would always take them off. But i needed music to keep a steady pace and motivation, cause if i was focusing on the music then i wasn't focusing on how much pain i was in

15. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Completely for the music. Without my music, I get bored quickly and will end my workouts prematurely. If someone chooses to talk to me, I remove my earphones and will slow down on whatever machine I'm using. Meeting new people is always great, no matter the location.

16. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

i wear headphones like 80% of the time. I always pause my ipod when someone wants to talk to me. I get so used to wearing them that i dont even notice they are in. So if i was at the gym it would not necessarily be so people wouldnt talk to me.

17. D_Roland_D_Hay

D_Roland_D_Hay Account Disabled

I wear them for the music...however, if I don't want someone to talk to me they can be handy (hehe)

18. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I'd generally wear them for the music. The last gym I went to did have pretty good music pumping throughout so I didn't wear them as much. Also, I actually don't go to the gym and need to get to working out somewhere that I can do that for free. (tight budget you know...)

19. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

I only wear them when I do cardio. If I have to be on a treadmill for 20 plus minutes, I need to listen to something. Sometimes, I use the music as a timer. I know how long a set is so pschologically it helps get me through the workout since I hate cardio so much.

I never wear them when lifting weights. The wires bug too much and I always see them as a potential danger. I need to be very focus when lifting heavy weight. I will just listen to the music the gym has playing in the background.

Since my workouts are timed, I try not to talk to anyone when I work out anyway. Before of after or during my warm up is OK. I hate interuptions. To me, the gym is not a pick up joint. And I hate it when people treat it that way.

20. the_kerryzzz

the_kerryzzz New Member

Albums:
    I just pull my earphones off when there is someone I need to talk to. I also like my own music. It does serve a purpose as well when there are folks that you do not wish to converse with. For instance, there is this old longhaired bleeched blond and fat , nasty guy with short shorts who bothers the younger guys from getting there workouts done. He uses the gym as a very social type thing. I put my head down or look away anytime I see him coming. I wish people like that would just give it up and go to some bar to socialize!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice