Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I’d like to know what you guys think about my quad development so far. I’ve always wanted nice muscluer thighs but I’ve also felt like they were always my weak point. Just wondering if you guys have any recommendations. I’ve been currently doing a 5x5 routine so I squat 2-3 times a week depending on how much I get to the gym 4194D08E-7D64-4068-9D43-4D6F2A3D5215.jpeg
62B07B39-FB52-46DC-8868-666D6171D784.jpeg

find83

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Your quads look good. A 5X5 routine is great for strength and building some general size, but if you want your quads to pop through in a high rep range quad exercise like Bulgarian split squats or lunges. 3 reps of 8-12 or 8-10 sets are usually good for natural lifters. Higher than that will cause more damage than good for a natural lifter. Two quad exercises are more than enough to make them pop

Flexxx

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
If you can work your legs 2-3 times per week you are obviously not using very heavy weight and punishing them enough. It takes my legs a week to recover from a good leg workout and I can barely walk for a couple of days.

Not bad.

Continue squatting. High bar squats are more quad dominant, low bar squats more involve your hips, low back and more. You can't go wrong with either low bar or high bar because your lower body will look great over time. I prefer low bar squats as they involve more muscles.

Make sure your mechanics are correct. I competed in powerlifting for years and I always made the effort to learn and improve my squat technique

Continue with the 5x5 as the weight and reps for sets of 5 is a great balance for both strength AND size. No one ever lacks volume with solid sets of 5. Do it till you stall, you have plenty of beginner gains to still look forward to.

If you can work your legs 2-3 times per week you are obviously not using very heavy weight and punishing them enough. It takes my legs a week to recover from a good leg workout and I can barely walk for a couple of days.

Most novice strength training routines are squat centric, you should know this. All the popular ones like Strong lifts 5x5 and Starting Strength are squat centric and have you squat each workout 3x a week.

Most of them are 3x a week as Novices fail to recover efficiently from high volume bodybuilding splits. Most of these 3x a week routines have only 3 to 4 exercises per session (they only involve bench, ohp, conventional deadlift and low bar squats) and most of those routines have you doing sets of 5 at around ~70 percent of their one rep Max, which is PLENTY if volume for a novice lifter.

Novice routines stay away from accessory work and only focus on the big 4 lifts as the weight x rep scheme when executed with correct form is ideal for a novice lifter to put on substantial hypertrophy and strength gains. Whether it is powerlifting, or bodybuilding a decent base of strength is required.

Last edited by a moderator:

Windjunkie

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
@MrScary stronglifts is the program I’m doing and I’m on my third month doing it. This is the first time I’ve gone to a gym and lifted before that I was using bands and dumbbells. Even with it being a squat heavy program I feel like it’s my weakest lift. I started with high bar hen switched to low bar and I feel that’s helping my out. I really like squatting so I’ll keep working at it. The funny part is the one lift I felt like I was terrible at is actually the one I’m the best at which is OHP. I also feel really comfortable with my deadlift which has been progressing nicely

Reactions: MrScary

@MrScary stronglifts is the program I’m doing and I’m on my third month doing it. This is the first time I’ve gone to a gym and lifted before that I was using bands and dumbbells. Even with it being a squat heavy program I feel like it’s my weakest lift. I started with high bar hen switched to low bar and I feel that’s helping my out. I really like squatting so I’ll keep working at it. The funny part is the one lift I felt like I was terrible at is actually the one I’m the best at which is OHP. I also feel really comfortable with my deadlift which has been progressing nicely

That's good. I started with Starting Strength after giving SL5x5 a try (god, this was years ago), very similar to SL5x5 but I think SL 5x5 has more volume (5 sets of 5 instead of 3 sets of 5) but Starting Strength has phases, the first phase looks very similar to SL5x5 until it progresses to add chinups and powercleans.

Low bar is better in the long run as it involves more muscles. Trust me I know your pain, years of competing and my squat has never felt 'perfect'. It's an ongoing thing, but you always get stronger.

Keep at it man, if you stall there are plenty of routes to take. Good luck!

Windjunkie

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's good. I started with Starting Strength after giving SL5x5 a try (god, this was years ago), very similar to SL5x5 but I think SL 5x5 has more volume (5 sets of 5 instead of 3 sets of 5) but Starting Strength has phases, the first phase looks very similar to SL5x5 until it progresses to add chinups and powercleans.

Low bar is better in the long run as it involves more muscles. Trust me I know your pain, years of competing and my squat has never felt 'perfect'. It's an ongoing thing, but you always get stronger.

Keep at it man, if you stall there are plenty of routes to take. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice man! How long do you suggest sticking with this kinda program before you try something else? What would be the next step after a beginner routine?

Reactions: MrScary

@Windjunkie

The main objective of the beginner phase is to perfect your form in all 4 lifts, and take advantage of a phase what is commonly called on the Internet as "newbie gains".

If you are new to barbell training, you will notice how your lifts linearly progress and make quite solid jumps in a relatively short time period. You'll also notice you're putting on muscle, since you don't have much body fat you can notice that your muscles are growing at a rather decent rate (this was my only favorite part about being skinny as a teen, I could see my tiny frame grow and to stay motivated is quite easy when the progress is noticeable as compared to the difficulty some people have in losing weight). This is the "newbie gains" phase.

There will be a point in your routine in which progress will stall. This will be due to either poor mechanics in your form that you haven't fixed yet OR you've simply tapped out the end of your "newbie gains" phase. If it is the latter, you've reached a point where the weights have gotten so heavy that 5 sets of 5 is just insane and your Central Nervous System is fried.

If you progress is stalling due to breakdown in form/technique (and you can tell the difference, in all four of the lifts; you can actually feel it out and tell the difference due to failure in technique or the weight being simply too heavy), you have to simply relearn the lift through another method or resource until it stalls from being too heavy while doing 5 sets of 5.

If your form after all this trial/error during your beginner routine is fine and you stall just due to not being able to recover fast enough or it's just too damn heavy to do damn 5 sets of 5 (there'll be a point where the weights are just too heavy to squat and deadlift on the same day) then you can reevaluate what your goals are. Do you like the way you look? Do you want to improve your appearance and physique OR did you catch the lifting bug and you decide to see how strong you can get (Advanced Strength Training include a lot of "fun" rep schemes to continue increasing your numbers)?

Chances are, and very high, that at the end of the beginner phase you will look more muscular and you'll be significantly stronger.
It's really up to you what route you go then. You can either pick an intermediate/advanced barbell program that addresses strength but leans towards the bodybuilding side OR you can pick one that's just solely focused on getting stronger. Either way you now have a fantastic base of strength to do about anything you want, hell I had a friend who got into gymnastics right after he finished running Stronglifts 5x5 for a year; he said it definitely helped.

Jim Wendler and his 531 programs are worth looking at. He has program for bodybuilders, power lifters, military, senior citizens you name it. His books are worth the buy as he has vast experience in programming efficient routines addressing specific goals.

Greyskull LP is a good intermediate program to look at as well, alows you to customize efficiently.

Last edited by a moderator:

Solid advice from Mr Scary. Focus on form on the big movements, work hard and stay consistent. Check out Rippetoe's Starting Strength. Wendler's 5/3/1 is good also. Switch to a new program when gains stop or slow but don't program hop every couple weeks just for the sake of change.

I'm a fan of the T-nation site. Lots of good training info there.

Good luck.

Reactions: Windjunkie

Windjunkie

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
@MrScary thanks again for the insight! I’ve definitely noticed the muscle gains in the past couple of months! After reading what you said I’ll keep plugging away with the SL5x5 instead of changing it up. I just needed someone to tell me that I’m on the right path

Reactions: Dante Smith spears