Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
mehgah said:
I don't understand how someone who does so little can be so respected... though maybe I am missing something?
Educate me, Brits of the community.

I'm not a Brit, just second generation away, but do you have any idea what that Queen and the Monarchy means to the British economy? Tourism and a presence on the world stage. She's worth way more than she costs. She may just be a figurehead and the Monarchy antiquated, but the Thrown is still a central pat of British life and Government. Should she choose to, she could bring down Blair and put a stop to Britain's involvement in the invasion of Iraq, for example.

SomeGuyOverThere

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
mehgah said:
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-12-25T220020Z_01_FLE541617_RTRUKOC_0_UK-BRITAIN-QUEEN.xml

Not to sound disrespectful of her position, but what is the deal with British people and the Queen? I don't understand how someone who does so little can be so respected... though maybe I am missing something?

Educate me, Brits of the community.

Excuse me but President Bush isn't exactly 7'10" is he?

Height has little to do with respect.

However, as for "respecting the Queen" I think it's more a traditional thing, I don't hold her in any particular asteem, but she is a leader, and a figurehead, they type of person who represents Britain.

This is good for the economy, but the Royal Family at large can also have a global effect. Remember Princess Diana?

I recognise their importance, but I don't consider myself a "subject" simply because it has been a very long time (waaay back to 16Oatcake) since the monarchy have been the rulers of Britain.

So to answer your question in a round about way - we dont particularly respect her, thats all a bit of pomp and circumstance, but I think the general feeling in the country is that the Queen and her family are important national figures.

Plus we can't simply "get rid of them", they wouldnt last a week in a council flat in Tory. :p

SomeGuyOverThere

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Dr Rock said:
well she could try, if she was that desperate to bring an end to the british monarchy

True.

The Queen can "technically" remove the Prime Minister, however he has to sign the writ. (just like technically Blair could probably have her put to death at the tower, but she'd have to sign the writ!)

Remember that the monarchy's power is bound by parliament and has been since Oliver Cromwell beat Charles IVth around like the useless twit he was - Twice - and then had him beheaded, installed himself as "Lord Protector" (read "Dictator"), and established the Commonwealth.

There are loads and loads of ancient texts, and laws and treatise (including the Magna Carta) which basically pin down the monarchy and don't let it do things like that.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
SomeGuyOverThere said:
True.

The Queen can "technically" remove the Prime Minister, however he has to sign the writ.
actually he doesn't - the monarch can dissolve parliament without recourse to anyone else. however, since they know what happened to the last one who tried that (charles II), it'll never happen.

B_Danceswithlamps

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Snort.

I'm American, but I think I know what the Brits are saying. The queen is kind of like our celebrities. They don't have any real power over our government, but they can talk to the people, everyone will listen to them because they are who they are, so they can do some serious influencing. :D:D:D:D