Queer Advertising on Mainsteam TV

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Lex, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

There has been a subtle increase in the amount of direct advertising geared towards those who can appreciate same-sex sensibilities.

So, what should we make of these commercials? Are they a sign of positive movement or just corporations' big surrender to the all-mighty dollar? Is this the natural progression that started with the success of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and Will and Grace?

Levi's --watch until the end. This is not the one you see on NBC or Fox.

Dolche and Gabbana --Love this one!

So far, these are airing in the US, but I have only seen them on Bravo and Style-- you know, the GAY Channels. :eyeroll:

Please note that Typhu31 lives in the south and his town, upon realizing that Bravo and Logo and other channels might be gay-friendly, his local cable company BANNED those channels from the local cable network.

Yup--no Project Runway for him. Can you fucking IMAGINE?!?!

2. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I can't give any offhand examples but some of the advertising I've seen which ostensibly purports to show gay men in a positive light just reinforces stereotypes that they're all flagrant queens. I don't view it as enlightenment on the part of the advertisers, but, as you say, giving in to the mighty buck. They never seem to be shown as just guys who happen to be gay where the gayness is incidental and underlines that gay guys are just guys but as GAY GUYS if you understand what I mean.

3. ThisSpace4Rent

ThisSpace4Rent New Member

4. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

See I don't think they did, if that had been a heterosexual couple the advert would never have thought to mention how long they'd been together or their intentions of staying together.

5. arthurdent

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree with SP. That IKEA ad sort of implies that they shop at IKEA because they are gay and IKEA is trying to suggest that it is gay friendly. It's that whole stereotype of gay men shopping in all the trendy clothes shops and buying designer labels and having great haircuts. Now if it had been and ad for common-or-garden DFS and they hadn't mentioned their relationship at all, but perhaps just sat on a DFS sofa together and then held hands....

6. ThisSpace4Rent

Hmmm. Would you notice though?

If you see a man and a woman at the breakfast table in a commercial, there's an assumption that they're married.

If you saw two men eating cherrios and not kissing, holding hands, mentioning their relationship, or acting flaming, would there be any visual cues to suggest they're a couple?

Or would it come off like Dumbledore in Harry Potter, where only after the fact, when someone asks, is it revealed that he's gay. And from the standpoint of trying to target gays with your advertising, have you then missed your mark if you were so subtle about it that no one even noticed your people were gay?

7. sbeBen

sbeBen New Member

I think it would be good to have two men in an advert and for people not to be bothered whether they were gay or not.

8. ThisSpace4Rent

*shrug*. It's an advertising technique (not one I find very effective, but a technique none the less).

"These people are like you, and they like our product, so maybe you'll like our product too".

9. sbeBen

sbeBen New Member

I see what you are saying but...They are not like me as I don't like labels. Can't we have a "maybe they are a gay couple or maybe they are not" kind of ad? I'd go for that ploy. Anything else would probably be a stereotype.

10. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sometimes it's nice to be pandered to.

11. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

Ive seen the levi ad on nbc but, Im in the San Francisco bay area, go figure!

12. Principessa

Gold Member

True, but that will take a while I think.

True it may not make you feel better but they do the same thing when marketing for blacks, asians, and hispanics.

13. ThisSpace4Rent

Yup, that was my point :)

Any demographic really, especially if they can tie that demographic to a programming slot.

14. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

Given how few couples bother to get married today, I'd assume they were, to use an old expression, shacking up together.:dunno:

15. Meniscus

Gold Member

Over the past few years I've seen some commercials that don't explicitly depict gay couples, but depict two people of the same sex together in an unspecified relationship. There was one where one guy is sleeping in bed and another guy comes in and tells the first guy to get up or he'd be late for work. Such ads are done in such a way that most straight viewers assume that the two men are roommates or brothers, but they could just as easily be a couple.

I came across this Web site a while back, but haven't yet explored it.
    Commercial Closet

16. Meniscus

Gold Member

Oh, I just thought of an ambiguous commercial I rather liked. This guy is stuck in traffic trying to get to a wedding. When he finally arrives and bursts in to the church, the bride and groom all already at the altar, and it becomes clear that he's there to say "I object!" I think most audiences assume he's in love with the bride...but he could just as easily be in love with the groom.

17. Meniscus

Gold Member

I've been exploring the site I mentioned a bit. Here's a good example of "gay vague" advertising.

Commercial Closet

18. JustAsking

Gold Member

Yes, I have seen the Levi's commercial with the two men. It aired here in Ohio during Project Runway. There is no mistaking this one. It's the gay version of the one where the as the guy is putting on his jeans, the street starts blasting up through his floor and there is a girl in the phone booth who he ends up walking off with. In the gay version the person in the phone booth is a guy, and he gives the same kind of "eye" to the jeans guy and they end up walking off together.

I think this is a harbinger of the fact that our next president will be a democrat.

19. Meniscus

Gold Member

Here's the commercial I was thinking of. It's something about the way he and the groom look at each other... There's a longer version which features the bride more prominently; in that version, there isn't the exchange of looks between the groom and the other guy.

YouTube - Volkswagen Commercial - Big Day/Wedding

Draft saved Draft deleted