"queers read this", a manifesto from a lgbt activist in the 90s

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ok, it's not really a "ask a gay man" because I'm not actually going to make any question (although anyone can comment below if you want) but... have you guys ever heard of this manifesto?
http://www.qrd.org/qrd/misc/text/queers.read.this
It's a leaflet from 1990, stating that lgbt people are oppressed, that we should defend ourselves against our straight oppressors and that one of the techniques straight people use to suppress our combativity is pretending that we already have equality, denying we have reasons to be angry.
(btw, the author choose the word queer to point out that we should not pretend to be living a gayly life unaware we have any reason to be dissatisfied).

Reactions: alcor972

Ok, it's not really a "ask a gay man" because I'm not actually going to make any question (although anyone can comment below if you want) but... have you guys ever heard of this manifesto?
http://www.qrd.org/qrd/misc/text/queers.read.this
It's a leaflet from 1990, stating that lgbt people are oppressed, that we should defend ourselves against our straight oppressors and that one of the techniques straight people use to suppress our combativity is pretending that we already have equality, denying we have reasons to be angry.
(btw, the author choose the word queer to point out that we should not pretend to be living a gayly life unaware we have any reason to be dissatisfied).
I haven't come across this before. Have you read the SCUM manifesto by Valerie Solanas? It's rather wonderful. http://kunsthallezurich.ch/sites/default/files/scum_manifesto.pdf

'Life in this society being, at best, an utter bore and no aspect of society being at all relevant to women, there remains to civic-minded, responsible, thrill-seeking females only to overthrow the government, eliminate the money system, institute complete automation and destroy the male sex...'

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I haven't come across this before. Have you read the SCUM manifesto by Valerie Solanas? It's rather wonderful. http://kunsthallezurich.ch/sites/default/files/scum_manifesto.pdf

'Life in this society being, at best, an utter bore and no aspect of society being at all relevant to women, there remains to civic-minded, responsible, thrill-seeking females only to overthrow the government, eliminate the money system, institute complete automation and destroy the male sex...'
I don't really see the parallel, but it is also a good manifesto. You do know SCUM is not supposed to be read seriously, right? Most of her manifesto is mirror copied from Aristotle, Saint Augustine, Freud and Nietzsche.

I don't really see the parallel, but it is also a good manifesto. You do know SCUM is not supposed to be read seriously, right? Most of her manifesto is mirror copied from Aristotle, Saint Augustine, Freud and Nietzsche.
Yes, I do know a bit about this. Have you actually read any Aristotle? Some commentators think the SCUM manifesto was a parody but Solanas maintained its intention was serious. Certainly it's better written than the drearily earnest piece you posted.

He said women are incomplete and deformed males. Almost all philosophers and theologians until 1800's have similar views, and Solanas made an obvious parody of their opinions.
That's a reductive Wiki view of it. Yes, feminists of that era were fighting the idea of females as incomplete males, e.g. famously the Female Eunoch, and Solanas plays with that idea by presenting males as the incomplete/inadequate sex in her manifesto. So in that limited sense it's parodic, but that's not at all to say that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Solanas herself said that it was.

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That's a reductive Wiki view of it. Yes, feminists of that era were fighting the idea of females as incomplete males, e.g. famously the Female Eunoch, and Solanas plays with that idea by presenting males as the incomplete/inadequate sex in her manifesto.
The view I presented was actually took from the thesis "Análise semiótica e tradução do SCUM Manifesto de Valerie Solanas", by Borges. You can find it online.
And by god's sake, she even coins the term "pussy envy". If that does ring a bell that her work is clearly a parody, then you obviously didn't read shit.

The view I presented was actually took from the thesis "Análise semiótica e tradução do SCUM Manifesto de Valerie Solanas", by Borges. You can find it online.
And by god's sake, she even coins the term "pussy envy". If that does ring a bell that her work is clearly a parody, then you obviously didn't read shit.
Your mistake is to think parody literally has no serious intent.

As I've said, Solanas has fun playing with and reversing patriarchal tropes, hence 'pussy envy' and men as incomplete females. It's called satire. Like Swift's A Modest Proposal is satire - extreme parody with serious intent. Solanas absolutely meant it to be taken seriously. She said so herself. She's not kidding. This is the woman who shot Andy Warhol remember.

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Your mistake is to think parody literally has no serious intent.

As I've said, Solanas has fun playing with and reversing patriarchal tropes, hence 'pussy envy' and men as incomplete females. It's called satire. Like Swift's A Modest Proposal is satire - extreme parody with serious intent.
I understand that A Modest Proposal have a rhetorical meaning, I don't believe it defends canibalism. In the same way, I understand that SCUM have a serious rhetorical meaning, I'm just arguing here that Solanas did not defend the extermination of males or that men were in fact deformed women. You are projecting your own misunterstanding.

I understand that A Modest Proposal have a rhetorical meaning, I don't believe it defends canibalism. In the same way, I understand that SCUM have a serious rhetorical meaning, I'm just arguing here that Solanas did not defend the extermination of males or that men were in fact deformed women. You are projecting your own misunterstanding.
It's not that simple. Whereas we're in no doubt that Swift isn't really advocating cooking/eating children (that's a sustained rhetorical device) it's much less clear what Solanas really believes or endorses. As well as satirising patriarchal/Freudian characterisations of women, SCUM also lays out her vision for a female supremacist Utopia. It's not easy to tell what her real views are when satire and utopian vision are mixed. Solanas at different times described the work as satire and 'deadly serious'. Just after she shot Warhol, she told a reporter, "Read my manifesto and it will tell you what I am."

Never mind. I only lobbed this in to raise some interest in your tumbleweed thread.

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's not that simple. Whereas we're in no doubt that Swift isn't really advocating cooking/eating children (that's a sustained rhetorical device) it's much less clear what Solanas really believes or endorses. As well as satirising patriarchal/Freudian characterisations of women, SCUM also lays out her vision for a female supremacist Utopia. It's not easy to tell what her real views are when satire and utopian vision are mixed. Solanas at different times described the work as satire and 'deadly serious'. Just after she shot Warhol, she told a reporter, "Read my manifesto and it will tell you what I am."

Never mind. I only lobbed this in to raise some interest in your tumbleweed thread.
Well, I think it's actually very easy to tell it's satire, specially if you are familiar with the authors parodized. While Solanas did told a reporter to read her manifesto to know what she stands for, it's was not the reason of the shooting, she shot him for personal problems (he had previously denied to produce a play she made). She took the opportunity for promotion.
I'm glad I managed to trick you into reading something new, even if you were just here because of hate-following.

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
[A timeout occurred with my window of opportunity to edit the respose]
The Queer Manifesto/ Ideology - yes, I have heard distillations of this manifesto in protests from the late 1980s/early 1990s (I was in high school at the time) ...

It may be just me, but I think we need to step back from offering opinions about the manifesto and first focus on establishing the ACTUAL CONTEXT in which the Queer Manifesto was written back in 1990..

For the context of the times, the Queer Manifesto was a severe reaction to the political backlash from the AIDS crisis and Reagan political and cultural conservatism. .It was reaction to anf extreme crisis for the LGBT community.
  • A generation of mainly gay men (between 1945-1965, generally) was dying rapidly and horribly because of AIDS. The HIV virus was spreading rapidly, and the Reagan administration took years before officially tasking the CDC to study the epidemic. (CDC officials did act on their own accord, but government funding to study AIDS was lacking).
  • LGBT people had NO legal protections as a recognized class: you could be fired for being gay, violence against gays was NOT classified as a hate crime, gay sex could be still be criminalized as "sodomy" in some states (e.g. Texas) even if it was consensual.
  • You could be discharged DISHONORABLY from military service and lose your career and access to accumulated military-service benefits overnight.
The Queer Manifesto is one of the first open challenges to "heteronormativity" in the public discourse. It rejects notions that the LGBT community should assimilate to hetero norms, which are oppressive. Although the manifesto's recommendations may appear extreme, there is a legitimate basis for complaint. Somewhat like the #BlackLivesMatter movements today, whether you agree or disagree with its position, there is a racial disparity in the USA with regard to the relative value of Black lives. (If all lives mattered equally, there would be no need for #BlackLivesMatter -too - protests).

Well, I think it's actually very easy to tell it's satire, specially if you are familiar with the authors parodized. While Solanas did told a reporter to read her manifesto to know what she stands for, it's was not the reason of the shooting, she shot him for personal problems (he had previously denied to produce a play she made). She took the opportunity for promotion.
I'm glad I managed to trick you into reading something new, even if you were just here because of hate-following.
Your only trick is to encrypt your arguments in such poor English it's hard to follow what you mean half the time. You obviously fancy yourself as some kind of intellectual, how is it you never mastered basic tenses and noun/verb agreement?

ChicanoDag

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't know if you think that I am qualified to comment about this. I admit that I haven't read the document that you are referring too. But I was a young man in my twenties at the time you are talking about. I was involved in the punk scene and openly gay. I associated with people involved in the queercore scene and riot grrl. I attended rallies. Volunteered for Food Not Bombs. Helped organize protests and attended marches. But I was never really involved in any sort of decision making. I was always more of a foot soldier. But I will tell you what I remember.

Calling ourselves queer was as much a response to the gay community as it was to the straight community. I was not the only one who felt let down by the gay community. There were quite a number of gay establishments who would NOT let me inside. Yes, I was a punk in a mohawk when mohawks weren't cool. But I also had a giant pink triangle on the back of my vest and a big "I am queer" button on the front. What homophobe would say that they like giving blowjobs and the feel of a cock up their ass.

I remember handing out flyers outside a Long Beach Pride. OUTSIDE Long Beach Pride. My flyers were confiscated without a word of explanation or a question as to what I was doing.

I remember when Tribe 8 (a lesbian punk band) got in trouble with the lgbt community. They were too crude, too loud, too obnoxious. They wrote a song about how their lesbian "sisters do more harm than those Christian right fuckers."

I remember how a bunch of us headed to New York in the summer of 94, to attend the Stonewall Riot commemoration. I remember how the committee in charge trademarked the name Stonewall (or was it Stonewall Riot). I still have a flyer somewhere were this was condemned. "Stonewall Was A Riot Not A Product" the headline said. I have a lot of flyers.

I remember they wouldn't let me into the Stonewall Inn. Again, they would not give me an explanation. I remember being told that I had internalized homophobia because I listened to punk. I remember being told to not rock the boat. That the straight community wouldn't give us any rights unless we could show them that we were just like them. You really want me to beg our oppressors for a few crumbs off the table?

Oh, I remember being angry at the straight world too. School administrators who looked the other way when the fag was being beaten. "Punk" jocks who tried to beat you up a a gig. "BASH BACK" was a favorite rallying cry of ours. Do not die politely.

And this is why I called myself queer. I was not accepted by the gay community. Not wanted by the straight world. No, I was as queer as a three dollar bill. And my peers decided, and I agreed that no one was ever going to politely hand us our rights. We had to demand them. And if necessary, fight for them. From the gay community as well as the straight one. So I didn't cut off my mohawk for the gay community. I didn't try to like sports for the straight world. I proudly listened to punk. And I proudly informed the world that I like having a cock in my ass. Respectability can go fuck itself.

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't know if you think that I am qualified to comment about this. I admit that I haven't read the document that you are referring too. But I was a young man in my twenties at the time you are talking about. I was involved in the punk scene and openly gay. I associated with people involved in the queercore scene and riot grrl. I attended rallies. Volunteered for Food Not Bombs. Helped organize protests and attended marches. But I was never really involved in any sort of decision making. I was always more of a foot soldier. But I will tell you what I remember.

Calling ourselves queer was as much a response to the gay community as it was to the straight community. I was not the only one who felt let down by the gay community. There were quite a number of gay establishments who would NOT let me inside. Yes, I was a punk in a mohawk when mohawks weren't cool. But I also had a giant pink triangle on the back of my vest and a big "I am queer" button on the front. What homophobe would say that they like giving blowjobs and the feel of a cock up their ass.

I remember handing out flyers outside a Long Beach Pride. OUTSIDE Long Beach Pride. My flyers were confiscated without a word of explanation or a question as to what I was doing.

I remember when Tribe 8 (a lesbian punk band) got in trouble with the lgbt community. They were too crude, too loud, too obnoxious. They wrote a song about how their lesbian "sisters do more harm than those Christian right fuckers."

I remember how a bunch of us headed to New York in the summer of 94, to attend the Stonewall Riot commemoration. I remember how the committee in charge trademarked the name Stonewall (or was it Stonewall Riot). I still have a flyer somewhere were this was condemned. "Stonewall Was A Riot Not A Product" the headline said. I have a lot of flyers.

I remember they wouldn't let me into the Stonewall Inn. Again, they would not give me an explanation. I remember being told that I had internalized homophobia because I listened to punk. I remember being told to not rock the boat. That the straight community wouldn't give us any rights unless we could show them that we were just like them. You really want me to beg our oppressors for a few crumbs off the table?

Oh, I remember being angry at the straight world too. School administrators who looked the other way when the fag was being beaten. "Punk" jocks who tried to beat you up a a gig. "BASH BACK" was a favorite rallying cry of ours. Do not die politely.

And this is why I called myself queer. I was not accepted by the gay community. Not wanted by the straight world. No, I was as queer as a three dollar bill. And my peers decided, and I agreed that no one was ever going to politely hand us our rights. We had to demand them. And if necessary, fight for them. From the gay community as well as the straight one. So I didn't cut off my mohawk for the gay community. I didn't try to like sports for the straight world. I proudly listened to punk. And I proudly informed the world that I like having a cock in my ass. Respectability can go fuck itself.
Thank you for sharing your story. You not only bore witness on this subject, but was an active participant, so of course you are qualified. I think sharing memories of LGBT activism is extremely needed to prevent people from forgetting how the cause of our liberation is militancy (or even going reactionary).
I wanted to ask you, what do you think about the use of the word queer today (like in the Huffington Post, queer theory, etc)? I have the impression that it doesn't imply the same revolutionary connotation as it used to...

I haven't trick you into reading it at all then? Well, then you know how they say, you can lead a horse to the water, but...
If you mean SCUM, I read it long ago, if you mean the LGBT manifesto, yes I did read it. I don't understand how trickery comes into it. I saw the thread title, which looked interesting, and read the contents. Thanks. If that was being tricked, fine.

ChicanoDag

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I remember standing outside a lesbian bar in Long Beach. Snap-Her had just finished a set and we were talking to one of the band members. We handed her a flyer and asked if she would be interested in joining a discussion about queers and queer rights and our place in the world.

She then told us that she was bisexual and not lesbian. I remember we stared blankly at her. The way she said it was as if she was apologizing for being bisexual. When we didn’t immediately respond she asked if she would still be invited.

We stammered, “Of course you are.” And we explained. Queer wasn’t just for males. It wasn’t just for females It wasn’t just for gay men or lesbians. Queer was all of us. Gay. Lesbian. Bisexual. Transgendered. Transvestites. All the rest of us who weren’t straight. All of us who suffered BECAUSE we weren’t straight. Queer was all of us.

We needed a word for all of us.

I remember the divisiveness in the lgbt community. Maybe their language reflected their thinking. Maybe their thinking reflected their language. But I remember the hostility between the gay community, the lesbian community and the transgendered community.

I remember my first time in a lesbian bar. A lesbian couple had found one of our flyers and was interested to know more. We met at a lesbian bar at their invitation. There were two of us who were male. And the hostility directed toward us was obvious.

At one point my male compatriot said the word “tips.” As in, “Do I have enough money for another round and tips.” A murmur went through the bar that we were talking about their “tits.” It got intense. The females in our group had to shield us as we made our way out.

I remember having a discussion with a gay man about the transgendered community as well as drag queens and everyone else who wasn’t gay or lesbian. I happened to mention the courage that a group of drag queens had to have to march for their rights in the deep south. I remember he said, with all seriousness, that it took LESS courage for drag queens to march. I stared at him open mouthed. How do you respond to that level of stupid?

I don’t mean to be longwinded. But I felt it important to illustrate how I, at least, perceived the gay and lesbian community. Willing to fight each other over crumbs. More interested in dividing and demeaning each other than in uniting and helping each other.

We needed a word. A word that was better than “gay.” A word that was better than “lesbian.” A word. A single word that meant all of us.

I remember being a kid in the 70’s. I remember hearing the word, “queer.” Before I even understood what it was referring to, I understood how bad it was. “Queer” was said with the same venom that people said “faggot.” The same way people said “nigger” and “wetback” and “gook.”

I don’t know who first referred to themselves as queer. But it caught on fast. At least among us. And it was perfect. “As queer as a three dollar bill.” We were the ones who didn’t fit in. Who didn’t have a place where we belonged.

There is a power that you can have. I don’t know if I can properly explain it.

I am known as Dag. In real life since I was 17. If anyone from those days were to read this they would know that yes, I am THAT Dag. I am the Dag from Conspiracy of Silence. I am the Dag from Long Beach. The avatar I use across the internet is a current picture of my own face.

There is a power in that. I am Dag and I am queer. You cannot threaten me with that information. My boss already knows I am queer. I told him. My family knows. My friends know. You cannot threaten me with that.

You cannot hurt me by calling me queer. I say that I am queer with pride. You cannot shame me. I will look you in the eye and tell you how much I enjoy having a cock in my ass.

So we called ourselves queer. The gay community didn’t like it. The straight world didn’t like it. But we wore that word. Like a military uniform. Like a badge of honor.

When I first heard the straight world use the word queer… Shit. How do I say this?

The first time I heard the straight world use the word queer… not as an insult but as a simple description, I felt a huge sense of pride. A sense of accomplishment. We had taken the word out of the hands of the homophobes. We had declawed it of it’s hate. We wore it with pride. And the straight world acknowledged that. It was a victory. A very small victory, but still a victory.

I have heard murmurs that the new generation doesn't like the word “queer.” That they want it suppressed. That makes me sad. We fought for that word. We bled for that word. And I mean exactly that. It wasn’t an easy life. Passion can burn you to the core. Sticking your neck out can leave your throat cut. Too many died, went to jail, disappeared. We bled.