Question about Athletics kit

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by soccerfanatic, Jan 22, 2005.

1. soccerfanatic

soccerfanatic New Member

I dunno if I've mentioned this before on here, but I play a lot of sports in my spare time, and I'm pretty good at a couple, namely football and athletics. And when i was younger I represented Derbyshire at the 1500m, which was a fun experience and one I enjoyed. However, my best event is the 400m, and I've been invited to the county trials which will take place in March of this year, and I'm quite excited as, if I run close to my personal best, I should have a chance of getting into the team :D

However, the only thing that is bothering me is the kit, in 1500m we were allowed to wear looser shorts which obviously I chose to do, and although my bulge was still noticeable, it wasn't obscene or anything like that.
    But with 400m being classed as a sprint, all competitors are required to wear the appropriate clothing, which as you probably already know, consists of a skin-tight vest and equally close-fitting shorts. I'm not an exhibitionist, quite the opposite, and so the thought of a very large crowd all seeing my package bouncing about like its trying to fight its way out of my shorts is a very daunting prospect for me :unsure:

This is a good opportunity for me so I won't let it get in the way, but its gonna be an awkward and embarassing matter if i have to wear the regular kit.
    I'm just curious as to whether any other members have competed in any athletics events at a higher level, and how they managed to cope with it. Do u think they'd allow me to wear looser shorts if I made an official request?

For the record, although most regular members already know lol, I've a very thick 7.5 incher when totally flaccid, but when exercising I usually get quite hot and sweaty so it will most likely grow during the warm up. I'm going to invest in a jockstrap to keep it from swinging about wildly in full view of everyone, but even in one of them it'll still be quite noticeable, so anybody any stories on how they coped with it or managed to conceal it?

Thanx in advance, Spank :)

2. Imported

Gold Member

dayne: When doing something like you are doing, the last thing on your mind has to be winning and nothing else. I would like to say to you ignore what shows and win. That does not appear to be the case. I would suggest you get a sport thong of some sort. Any of the International Male contour collection might suit you. I use them for working out and find them to provide substantial, comfortable, support-no pulling in the back either.

3. Imported

Gold Member

jordanj: In the UK we have an athlete called Linford Christie and he became known as Lunchbox Linford. He did get very fed up of it from what I recall so I sympathise with what you are saying.

4. sflatintop

sflatintop New Member

Albums:
    Y'know, we really need LPSG sports teams.

5. Imported

Gold Member

remotehypnosis: What about wearing a tight jockstrap underneath?

6. soccerfanatic

soccerfanatic New Member

I'm from the UK lol, and so yeah i remember Linford :)

7. Imported

Gold Member

The_Swinging_Voter: Yep mate, you definately need something to keep it all in place and ensure it doesn't go swinging around all over the place. But that's where it ends. Forget about what anyone else thinks, just concentrate on your race. I spent most of my younger years playing Aussie Rules Football in the winter and athletics and tennis in the summer. When I was competing in a race (100,200 and 400) I just wanted a nice snug fit so an athletic support was the best go.

On a side note: I did notice that my bulge was still prominant but I got the very distinct impression that it helped psyche out my opponents. Instead of being focussed solely on their race they were glancing at my bulge wondering 'is that real or what?' Any little edge has to be good for your race so, excuse the pun, take it and run with it LOL.

8. Imported

Gold Member

lighthouse: get a jockstrap with the wide waistband. It's not comfortable, but you learn to deal with it.

9. Imported

Gold Member

pdrprst: I used to compete in spandex. Wear what you wear underneath and worry about winning.

So long as wind resistance doesn't become a problem. :D

10. hung

Gold Member

Albums:
    Once the event is over, let us know how you did. Regarding showing, I like the one response of a post which indicated that your profile may cause the other competitors to lose their focus. You may have an advantage here. Use it and enjoy your self as you compete. I wish you well.

11. Kimahri

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was pretty fortunate that while playing Lacrosse they required cups, so as long as nothing unfortunate happened, I was able to hit what I had. I'm a grower anyway.

12. Grit

Grit Member

Hey Spank. I too am a runner. I jog a lot and I love it wearing nylon, poly... shorts. It for me feel real good for things to flop around some. Usually I weal shorts that include a mesh liner. All is light weight and really cool (temp wise). I enjoy the stares I get as I go by people. I know the feelling and concern about things flopping out in competition etc.. And at times like these I use a jock strap to keep things from falling out especially if the shorts are a little skimpy. It gives a nice buldge and at the same time during competition I don't want my thoughts on my package. Never thought about psyching out the others thought -- might have possibilities.

Peace

Oh yeah a pair of briefs will work to keep things in place too

13. LITESOME

LITESOME New Member

In Britain we had a sprinter called Iwan Thomas. He still holds the Commonwealth Gamess 400 meter record. He is noticably very well endowed (as well as being handsome as hell). He always wore very short royal blue shorts and you could see he was wearing a jock-strap of the same colour, as the straps used to show below the hems occasionally, or you could get a glimpse of the pouch especially as he doubled over when he had finished. He still had a pronounced bulge but no bounce. a jock strap is the answer: an old fashioned BIKE jockstrap with a 3 inch waistband to stay in place, not any of the fashion types.

#13 LITESOME, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
Draft saved Draft deleted