question about circumsion

dmcrun: I am circumsized (not for religious reasons) and I live in Canada. Although I always thought I knew the answer to this question, i recently realized that I don't. I assumed that most guys that were born in Canada were circumsized, but I recently found out (at a nude beach) that one of friends is not. So I asked my girlfriend and she said that all the guys she had ever seen were circumsized (but it's only 3 and they were all born in Canada-and I know that atleast one of them is Jewish). But this got us thinking and my girlfriend ended up asking two of her other female friends with boyfriends and found out that neither of their boyfriends were circumsized. I should also mention that because I grew up in North America and was never on any sort of varsity team or anything I had never done the group shower thing or really had any reason to be naked around any of my friends. So I had never seen any of my friends naked and none of them had seen me either (and I don't have any brothers). I think my dad is circumsized, but I haven't seen his penis since I was quite young, so I'm not really too sure anymore.

So, this got me really confused, because until then I had thought that the majority of males born in canada were circumsized, yet the only three canadian guys that I was aware of whether or not they were circumsized ended up not being.

Can someone please clear this up for me, am I in the majority or the minority?
Also from my experiences on the nude beach (and there weren't that many other people there and I'm also trying not to stare) it seemed that European men were not but that American men tended to be (we were the only canadians that I know of that we saw on the nude beach), is this a correct assessment?

My girlfriend and I are looking forward to some answers to help solve this question.
Thanks in advance,
Dmcrun

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
It's dying out; it's in the minority in Canada and even among U.S. newborns. Circumcision also has ethnic tendencies; American Indians are less likely to be circumcised and whites most likely.

Mighty Joe

Experimental Member
Media
Don't worry about it...just think "you're a cut above the rest".
Seriously, I don't think circumcision is dying out..I have a friend that is a doctor and he says 95% of the infant's he brings into the world wind up being cut.

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Reported circumcision rates in the US differ greatly according to who did the study, and where it was conducted. This is because the frequency of this practice varies greatly by region, and between groups, in the US.

For example, a study published by CIRP reports that US circumcision rates peaked at 85% in 1979, and have declined ever since into the 55% range in 2001, and continue to drop. (See http://www.cirp.org/library/statistics/bollinger2003/ )

However, the NIH paints a very different picture. In a study to determine if healthcare funding impacted circumcision rates, they found circumcision rates of 81% in the date range of 1997 through 2001. (See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...&dopt=Abstract)

The difference is that the NIH study was done in the Midwest, where circumcision rates are actually increasing. However, in other states, particularly those with large and growing immigrant populations (such as California), the practice is in strong decline. Therefore, the national average, given in the CIPR study, can present a very different circumcision rate than that found in your particular region. It grossly underestimates the 81% rate in the Midwest, and overestimates the 36 % rate in the West Coast states. (Figures from CDC reference below.)

More information about how circumcision rates vary with region, race, etc, is available from the CDC at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/pubs/pubd...rcumcisions.htm . Be sure to check the links to the tables at the end of the article.

blar

Experimental Member
Media
Well from what I have seen as a boy and heard from female friends of mine here in Canada I have come to the conclusion that there may be a possibly that there are more uncut if not then an even amount of guys that are cut and uncut here.

I guess because Canada has a lot of immigrants....in my city I can say about 90% of people around my age range (or more) parents are not born in Canada and I believe the same percentage can said about the people around my age range and younger. (who are also not born in Canada either) most of the people are from Europe, Asia and Caribbean or there background is one of them.

Heck.... majority of my friends were born and for awhile lived in another country before moving here.....but that’s not unusual here. So ericbear I think you kind of have a point there.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Have the insurance carriers stop paying for routine circ and watch how the rate would drop to nothing. A Dr/hospital gets to slap about a $700 mutilation fee on the bill and the insurers pay it 100%. Everyone is too fearful of backlash to address it. How many baby boys born each year X $700 = ??? How many parents would submit their baby males to this practice if they had to pay for it out of pocket??? I feel a rant coming on....best I go now. :angry:

ponybilt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I'm circumcised and so are my brothers. Born in the Midwest, USA, all born mid- to late-60s.

I've noticed a definite increase in younger guys who are natural. As EricBear points out there are lots of online resources for understanding what the trends are around the globe.

I agree with KinkGuy that insurance is a factor in whether baby boys get cut. So is the status of the father; I'd read where men typically want there sons to be like them, although.... I'd suggest (my opinion) that with greater awareness comes a lessening of this effect.

It can be a sensitive subject for some guys, both cut and natural. This has come up in a previous post, so I won't re-hash it here, but just because I think it isn't right to practice circumcision at-will, doesn't mean that it's OK to denigrate guys who happen to be cut.

That said, it's of little value to try and determine if you are in the majority or minority (you can't change it, after all) but you'd really have to look at statistics from your geographic area, year of birth, etc. You can't really compare your status to guys half your age (when the rate may have been increasing or decreasing).

For the year and locale in which I was born I was in the majority. Doesn't make it right or wrong. It just is.

Pappy

Media
I agree with ponybuilt. It depends on when and where you were born. I think there were two guys in my graduating class that were not cut, and one of them was a transfer in to our class from another state. The other one was black. Not to say that blacks don't cut cause we know they do. I think it had to do with his family's financial standing.

Of course there are some doctors that push for parents to circumcise. My oldest son was born in Va. Beach Va. and it was assumed by the doctor that we wanted him circumcised, which we did. When we were asked about it, it was like "of course you want him circumcised" instead of do you want him circumcised. When my youngest was born we were asked if we wanted it done. Of course we said yes as we didn't want one to be different from the other.

tenkiller: Here in Georgia, all but 2 of my friends' sons have been left natural. The other 2 say the Ob same as forced them to do it.

A nurse I know at the hospital tells me that the circumcision rate in the town I live is about 25% for newborns.

killer cock

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey i am from Canada too, and i am not circumsized. i am a wrestler and have seen many cocks, (i am st8) but just in the showers. it seems that from what i have seen there are still more men cut than uncut....one mans oppinion

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Also, most of the immigrants in the Midwest are Muslim, so that might have an effect.

Now that I think about it, most of the families on the rez didn't even go to the hospital when they had children; for one thing, on a rez, the hospital's miles away and full of underfunded doctors who have pending malpractice legislation.

suaige: To add to the numbers I have read generally around 75 % are still cut in U.S. In Taiwan circumcision is usually only done if medically necessary, opening is too small for the glans, maybe when young or as late as during or after puberty. or if while young the foreskin does not separate from the glans. I think it is similar in Japan - but not completely confident.

Seeking_SuperHung:
Originally posted by ponybilt+Aug 4 2004, 03:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ponybilt &#064; Aug 4 2004, 03:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-jonb@Aug 4 2004, 01:33 AM
...most of the immigrants in the Midwest are Muslim...
What the fuck?

:wacko:[/b][/quote]

...that&#39;s actually true:
Arabs and non-Arab muslims constitute the largest percentage of emigrants to MidWest America currently, even post 9/11

Heck, ever been to Detroit?&#33;

ponybilt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Originally posted by Seeking_SuperHung+Aug 4 2004, 03:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Seeking_SuperHung @ Aug 4 2004, 03:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ponybilt@Aug 4 2004, 03:12 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-jonb
@Aug 4 2004, 01:33 AM
...most of the immigrants in the Midwest are Muslim...

What the fuck?

:wacko:

...that&#39;s actually true:
Arabs and non-Arab muslims constitute the largest percentage of emigrants to MidWest America currently, even post 9/11

Heck, ever been to Detroit?&#33; [/b][/quote]
I can&#39;t find anything that supports the claim.

The Census Bureau only tracks country of origin, and Muslim is a religion.

While places like Detroit and Dearborn have (very) significant Arab populations both in terms of number and percent), it hardly constitutes the claim that most of the immigrants to the Midwest are Muslim, particularly considering that 83K additional Arabs settled in the Midwest from 1990 to 2000, and the overall Midwest population rose by 4.7 million people (of which immigrants are a subset).

http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs.html
http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/c2kbr-23.pdf

Another example of someone&#39;s opinion being stated as fact in order to support a point of view that really doens&#39;t matter in the first place, e.g., circumcision will trend up or down regardless of your personal point of view -- unless you actually want to get involved in the politics of it. Good luck.

Willy: I am cut but I would prefer to not have been. Sadly it is still popular and its just mostly done for looks I think you should be given the choice when you older not when your a baby. And haveing a foreskin is better it keeps your head moist and sensitive. And it&#39;s better for masturbation It makes it feel better.

openwide

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I&#39;m cut but am currently going through the process of Un-Circumcising. There are a lot of web resources out there for reference. After only 2 months, I have a tremendous increase in sensitivity and sexual pleasure. Anyone else trying to undo the damage?

lighthouse: I&#39;ve been at it for several years now. I started with T-tapes but abandoned the effort because of the inconvenience. About 2 years ago, I came across the tug-ahoy and became more diligent, probably 4 days per week. I have since graduated to multiple O-rings (a stack of 5, right now) and the progress has been even quicker than the Tug-Ahoy. I would say start the O-rings as soon as there is enough skin to work with. I get mine at the plumbing department at Home Depot. The label says #15 O-ring and they come in a box of six. I&#39;m completely covered except when erect, and now with the O-rings, I&#39;m getting a bit of an overhang with a taper. The only disadvantage to the O-ring method is that it pushes the penis up into the body; I definitely don&#39;t hang as well as I used to. Not that I care, since I can always completely unroll a condom, and now that there is more skin, more is exposed at the base. Be patient, the process definitely takes time, but it does work. Sensitivity is 100% better too.

kurios

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Any studies/surveys that I have read regarding the circumcision rate in Canada certainly do not indicate that "it is dying out". The percentage is dropping slightly from the 70%s into the mid 60%s.
As with the USA circumcision is more prevalent in certain provinces/states than others, very much a part of some culture and religious practices and as someone mentioned tied to fairly entrenched views.
I think there are many more parents now giving thought to whether they should follow their tradition of circumcision with the result being that some cut grandpas and poppas have 3rd generation uncut sons

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Heh. On a side note about circumcision, one of my roommates is cut and he actually had to go to the hospital once when the scar split open during sex. He&#39;s lucky she wasn&#39;t positive.