Question about college.

Morph89

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hey everyone, I come to you guys for some advice. I started my first semester on Jan. 18th and had been going to classes regularly for about 3 weeks, but for the last 4-5 weeks I've basically been skipping class and haven't had the desire to go (due to personal problems). Now my dilemma is I want to go back and attend my classes realizing my idiotic mistake, but I'm unsure how to talk to my professors whether it would be better to email them tonight or go and see them in person tomorrow to discuss whether I can still attend their class (although at this point I wouldn't mind if I they failed me due to missing work, I'm more interesting in getting some sort of educational value from it). I guess my question would be, what would be the best route to go? And any additional information (or similar experiences) that could help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

thirtyseven

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Go to your student services and see if you can find someone for help. I'm sure if you're going to be failing classes you will be needing some help to get these "exempted" from your grades. If anything e-mail your professors saying you would like to discuss with them some serious problems. Then meet them face to face and explain yourself and ask what they suggest you do.

Some are nice, some are harsh. Some might try to help out, while others don't care at all. The only thing you can do is hope they're all nice and you can work something out. If anything I still think you should get some help from student services. Maybe a counselor/advisor could pull some strings.

Goodluck!

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Good advice to talk to student services and/or your advisor to see if you can drop the classes and if not petition to drop the classes so they are not on your records. In addition I would e-mail the professors and ask for a meeting to apologize and ask if you can audit the class for the remainder of this semester and I think you may be good to go next semester. Good Luck!

Morph89

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Thank you very much guys. I'm emailing my professors as we speak and will talk with student services tomorrow.

B_crackoff

Experimental Member
Media
Yep, all good advice.

You should always try & cultivate relationships with lecturers & peers for just such scenarios in future.

If it were possible, I'd see your profs in person - it's harder to turn down a sincere plea in person, & if you haven't got anyone to take notes off, you'll need the missing material & scope straight from them.

It worked for me.

thirtyseven

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Yeah get a buddy system to have your back for emergencies. but seriously, goodluck! Hope it all works out and that you don't meet a stingy prof.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And don't forget that this happens to a lot of people who go to college for the first time. Your professors or your student services counselor will understand your problem right away.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Go to your student services and see if you can find someone for help. I'm sure if you're going to be failing classes you will be needing some help to get these "exempted" from your grades. If anything e-mail your professors saying you would like to discuss with them some serious problems. Then meet them face to face and explain yourself and ask what they suggest you do.

Some are nice, some are harsh. Some might try to help out, while others don't care at all. The only thing you can do is hope they're all nice and you can work something out. If anything I still think you should get some help from student services. Maybe a counselor/advisor could pull some strings.

Goodluck!

This is good advice, but my experience says to go to your professors first. WHy have classes exempted if you can do the work and pass them? The semester in which my mother died, I returned to school after missing a month, and found that two of my professors wanted me to withdraw, one lowered my grade, and one gave me the A I had before I left. He didn't even want an explanation for my absence. He said, "You're an adult, paying this tuition was an adult decision, and if you don't show up for my lectures I assume it's because something more important to you came up. I only care that your work is handed in on time, and it has been.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Most US universities and colleges have a system in place where you can officially apply for an incomplete, which is good for two semesters or three quarters. If your situation is legitimate (and most are) you're allowed to begin the classes over again if they are taught in the next two semesters or three quarters. This avoids having to pay tuition for classes that you've already paid for. However, if you do not make up your classes within the given period they are automatically changed to Fs.