Question about pc problem

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Dear people...I have a question and beware I'm ignorant about pc's...

Why 50% of time I start my pc I dont have sound and then I have to re-start it to get it?

Before I take to the technichian I want to have an ideia what is the probable cause and dont be to plain ignorant about it to him.:rolleyes:

Thanks...

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Sounds like......seems like a misbehaving "Sound Card" driver or something conflicting with the sound card driver.

Is it so Quercusone ?...the only thing I add to him were Opera and Ad-aware personal...can it be one o this 2 is conflicting with the sound card drive as you say?

My pc is a Sony Vaio VGN-AX580G notebook and he has just 10 months old...:rolleyes:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Is it so Quercusone ?...the only thing I add to him were Opera and Ad-aware personal...can it be one o this 2 is conflicting with the sound card drive as you say?

My pc is a Sony Vaio VGN-AX580G notebook and he has just 10 months old...:rolleyes:

Gisella, assuming you're running XP. When the sound is NOT WORKING do : Start>Control Panel>then double click on the "Sounds and audio devices" icon then select the "Audio" tab.

Then take a screen shot (press the PrtSc button, open a photo editor (MSpaint will do) paste in the screen shot and attach it here, or send it via PM is maybe better.

Then, do the same when the sound IS WORKING. I just want to see if XP is detecting the hardware each time or only when the sound works. The next step depends on having that knowledge.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Gisella, assuming you're running XP. When the sound is NOT WORKING do : Start>Control Panel>then double click on the "Sounds and audio devices" icon then select the "Audio" tab.

Then take a screen shot (press the PrtSc button, open a photo editor (MSpaint will do) paste in the screen shot and attach it here, or send it via PM is maybe better.

Then, do the same when the sound IS WORKING. I just want to see if XP is detecting the hardware each time or only when the sound works. The next step depends on having that knowledge.

Thank you Dong..

But where this PrtSc button is located ? Have no ideia about photo editor too..or Mspaint...:redface: :confused: ...but I will try to right what is saying and MP to you...

I told I'm ignorant about pc's...:rolleyes: :biggrin1: but I do have the XP...

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hi Gisella - sometimes I have exactly the same problem and it took me a while to discover what was causing it.

Are you using Real player for playing music and videos? Do you sometimes leave the sound turned off or at minimum in real player?

I found that when the sound is turned down in real player then for some reason it turns off the sound to my whole system. This might not be the case for your but worthwhile checking it out.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I would check for a device/driver conflict first.

On your desktop, right click on "My Computer" Click "Properties"

Click the "Hardware" tab. Then click on Device Manager.

Do you have any Yellow Exclamation marks in the section "Sound"?

If so, then try re-installing the driver using either your recovery CD or downloading a new one.

If no yellow exclamations, there may be a program interfering when your PC starts up.

Check your startup group to see whats running when you boot.
Click, Start, Run, type in MSCONFIG
Shut off services you dont need running when you boot up.
If you dont know what it is, then leave it be.

If you need more help, just ask.
C

Wonderboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Update the drivers.

If you don't know the make then it should tell you in dxdiag

Click start > run

And type in dxdiag

Click the sound tab and it will tell you the name of the drivers. Then go to the manufacturer's website and download and install some new drivers. I keep a copy of all drivers and programs I use on my PC in case something goes wrong.

Other than that, make sure everything is plugged in correctly and firmly and that the volume is turned up on the speaker, in the audio config and in any applications you use to play music.

It sounds like maybe your sound driver is corrupting every time you restart. Mine used to do that. I would get the error 'bad directsound driver'. Is that what you do?

Anyway updating the drivers should work.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Thank you very much everybody...

After a long while I found the device manager and there is no yellow nothing just +

What I have notice that everytime I start my pc a "SpySubtract" appears it came with the pc and its very annoying because sometimes the North flag keep going down and up like crazy telling that it reckon it and its ok or something like that..but the Norton do not stop as I said and I have to re-start pc again because of that too

I dont have the Real Player...Daverock...I think I downloaded but than I trashed it...hehehe...

Wonderboy...I do not trust me to do all of that...:eek:

When I have sound my default device is: Realtek HD audio output

Sound recording: default device: Realtek HD audio input

Default device Microsoft GS wavetable sw synth

(v) use only default device

I havent turn off yet but when I do I will come with info about when it has no sound..ok?

Thanks again...you people are sooo smart!!!:smile:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have a X2Gen lcd monitor with integrated speakers that behaves like that for a desktop.

Sony eSupport - VGN-AX580G

These are updates to your notebook, there happens to be a bios update as well. If you don't feel comfortable doing them yourself, get a professional to do them for you. These updates might also resolve conflicts amongst other hardware too, they should improve stability and performance.

Then there's always going to Realtek's website and getting their audio driver/codec directly.

Realtek
Realtek

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thank you very much everybody...

I havent turn off yet but when I do I will come with info about when it has no sound..ok?

Thanks again...you people are sooo smart!!!:smile:

No worries, it's easy to jump in with all sorts of solutions but sometimes it's very basic and finding out if your audio hardware is disabled when it doesn't play or merely set to mute for example can eliminate a random hardware problem (unlikely but ya have to start at the beginning).

PS What's the 'North Flag' about ?

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
No worries, it's easy to jump in with all sorts of solutions but sometimes it's very basic and finding out if your audio hardware is disabled when it doesn't play or merely set to mute for example can eliminate a random hardware problem (unlikely but ya have to start at the beginning).

PS What's the 'North Flag' about ?

Thanks again everybody!:smile:

When the sound not working it says:

No playback devices

No recording devices

No midi playback devices

( ) use only default devices

PS: About the North Flag is really Norton 'Flag' that appears on the bottom right giving informations...I dont know the real name of that thing...:confused:

Thanks!!!

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When you watch videos or listen to music, do you use Windows Media Player? Check the sound level slider to see if that is the problem. I'm pretty sure that computer has integrated sound that is not able to be enabled or disabled, so that's probably not your problem. This could possibly be related to Spyware, but I doubt it. Ad-Aware and Opera should have nothing to do with your sound problem. The only thing I can think of is an old program that has some leftover registry entries is causing compatability issues with your chipset, since you probably have sound but no drivers to worry about. What Norton product do you have? You should only have one anti-virus program on your computer.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks again everybody!:smile:

When the sound not working it says:

No playback devices

No recording devices

No midi playback devices

( ) use only default devices

PS: About the North Flag is really Norton 'Flag' that appears on the bottom right giving informations...I dont know the real name of that thing...:confused:

Thanks!!!

Sounds like your Laptop is not always detecting or enabling the installed audio hardware. The next time it fails try the following:

Right click on My Comuter and select "Manage"

Then click "Device manager"

Look for "Sound Video and Game controllers" There may be a Yellow Triangle with an exclamation mark next to where "Realtek HD audio output" is listed like the one by this post. Or, "Realtek HD audio output" may not be listed at all!

If it's not listed then right click and select "Scan for Hardware changes" and see if your Laptop detects it now. If it's listed with a triangle then double click and there should be an explanation as to what the problem is, you can report that back here or right click and select "Update Driver" Choose the option to install automatically and click next. The Laptop will go off and try and obtain updated drivers. It may find some but I doubt it.

If the device is listed without a triangle then you need to :

Go back to control panel, select audio devices and click the Audio Tab. If the drop down lists of audio hardware (see att screenshot) are working, see if contain the ones you listed earlier. If so select them and make sure the tickbox for use only default devices is ticked. If this works that it suggest some software you are running is changing your audio settings.

Try to see if there is a pattern, a certain application you run that next time causes no sound. Lots to do there so go see what happens.:smile:

Attachments

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Sounds like your Laptop is not always detecting or enabling the installed audio hardware. The next time it fails try the following:

Right click on My Comuter and select "Manage"

Then click "Device manager"

1)Look for "Sound Video and Game controllers" There may be a Yellow Triangle with an exclamation mark next to where "Realtek HD audio output" is listed like the one by this post. Or, "Realtek HD audio output" may not be listed at all!

2)If it's not listed then right click and select "Scan for Hardware changes" and see if your Laptop detects it now. If it's listed with a triangle then double click and there should be an explanation as to what the problem is, you can report that back here or right click and select "Update Driver" Choose the option to install automatically and click next. The Laptop will go off and try and obtain updated drivers. It may find some but I doubt it.

If the device is listed without a triangle then you need to :

3)Go back to control panel, select audio devices and click the Audio Tab. If the drop down lists of audio hardware (see att screenshot) are working, see if contain the ones you listed earlier. If so select them and make sure the tickbox for use only default devices is ticked. If this works that it suggest some software you are running is changing your audio settings.

Try to see if there is a pattern, a certain application you run that next time causes no sound. Lots to do there so go see what happens.:smile:

I did # 1 and has no yellow triangle there...and there is anything listed there..kid of I think...:confused:

I did # 2 it says my pc is all set no problems (something like that..)

I did # 3 everything is gray than I can press anything really to scroll...

One of them sent me to trouble shooting help..but they did not help...

Now I think I'm stuck...:confused:

I may confusing # 2 with 3 results...

Thanks again...

I'm going to check the receipt of it..it may was paid extra for technical assistance, not sure... it was a gift ..:cool: :tongue:

quercusone

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It sounds like you've gone way past opening the shipping box, too late tor return it and get an iMac or MacBook.

Too bad Macs won't run the "real" software I have to use. But they are nice little toys.

Wonderboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Gisella,

Try

Start > Control Panel > Add Hardware

Click next then when it asks is the hardware connected choose yes and see if it picks it up. It should do.

If it doesn't then maybe your soundcard has come loose inside. Have you dropped the computer/laptop or anything?

Alternatively, try:

Start > Run

Type in msconfig

Then on the Services and Startup tabs choose click enable all.

Then restart and see if it works.

Hopefully it will.

EDIT: IF you've never been able to play music on it, maybe there is no soundcard. Beeps are normal, the computer has a built-in basic speaker.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The thing with some of these laptops is they don't have ANY hardware to reproduce sound with. Strangely, there is no chipset that requires a driver in some of these laptops. Does anyone else have one of these laptops that has sound but no hardware?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The thing with some of these laptops is they don't have ANY hardware to reproduce sound with. Strangely, there is no chipset that requires a driver in some of these laptops. Does anyone else have one of these laptops that has sound but no hardware?

Typically on Laptops the sound is by way of a chip on the mainboard, most budget and mid range PC's use the same approach.

Dropping it won't be a likely the cause of the problem, if you dropped it, chances are you'd have bigger problems!

Gisella, when you restart the laptop either by restarting from within windows or by shutting down and then switching on again does the sound ALWAYS come back or just sometimes?

If the sound always comes back after a restart it points more at a software or driver problem or, unlikely but possible a BIOS problem. If the sound only sometimes comes back after a restart its more suggestive of a hardware problem.

Possibly there is an intermittent clash, have you installed any new software recently?